Spurs stadium for next years European finals

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Spurs stadium for next years European finals

Post by Chobbsy »

What do people think about- the show pieces for European rugby being played at the Spurs stadium and not a proper rugby venue?
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Spurs stadium for next years European finals

Post by GB72 »

Chobbsy wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:47 am What do people think about- the show pieces for European rugby being played at the Spurs stadium and not a proper rugby venue?
Surprised the various unions can agree to the cost of the venue coming out of their coffers and going to Spurs.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

GB72 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:49 am
Chobbsy wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:47 am What do people think about- the show pieces for European rugby being played at the Spurs stadium and not a proper rugby venue?
Surprised the various unions can agree to the cost of the venue coming out of their coffers and going to Spurs.
To me, it is just not right to have such a high profile rugby event being held at a football stadium
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

Chobbsy wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:51 am
To me, it is just not right to have such a high profile rugby event being held at a football stadium
+1
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Chobbsy wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:51 am
Agreed!
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

It's a brilliant stadium. The fact it normally hosts football is irrelevant. After all, haven't the European finals only ever been held a two essentially dedicated rugby stadiums, Twickenham and Murrayfield?

The other venues, Aviva (Lansdowne Rd), Parc des Princes, Stade de France, Principality (CAP), State de Lyon, Stade Velodrome, San Mames (Bilbao), Newcastle, Bristol, Bordeaux are all regularly multi use stadiums, as is the Stadium formerly known as White Hart Lane.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Sorry not for me I am afraid, if you think Welsh international rugby where do you think? ditto for France and Ireland.

Could you see EUFA having the champions league final at Welford road (if we had the capacity of course) not a chance in hell and nor should it be.

its just my view
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Chobbsy wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:13 am Sorry not for me I am afraid, if you think Welsh international rugby where do you think? ditto for France and Ireland.

Could you see EUFA having the champions league final at Welford road (if we had the capacity of course) not a chance in hell and nor should it be.

its just my view
Purely playing devils advocate here but football has dozens of state of the art, large capacity stadiums. Rugby has 5 national stadiums, half od which are not modern or state of the art. Not sure on the rules of the competition. Is there a rotation of which country holds the final and is there any restriction on the ground or how many times a ground can be used. If anything prevented using Twickenham and it was to be in England (and that could be a prior booking for a band or another event) then there is no choice other than to use a football stadium.
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

UEFA did host a Champions League Final in Cardiff in 2017.

We used to only host in "rugby stadiums" and it going boring very quickly. I'd prefer them to go into continental Europe far more often and get it played in Amsterdam, Cologne, Turin, Milan, Madrid, Barcelona, Frankfurt, Munich, etc.

As easy for Anglo-French fans to get to as Dublin, all have more hotels than Edinburgh, all have surprisingly large local rugby scenes that would turnout 100% for what would be a once in a lifetime event rather than what are pretty de rigueur events at Twickenham or even London generally.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

sk 88 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:23 am UEFA did host a Champions League Final in Cardiff in 2017.

We used to only host in "rugby stadiums" and it going boring very quickly. I'd prefer them to go into continental Europe far more often and get it played in Amsterdam, Cologne, Turin, Milan, Madrid, Barcelona, Frankfurt, Munich, etc.

As easy for Anglo-French fans to get to as Dublin, all have more hotels than Edinburgh, all have surprisingly large local rugby scenes that would turnout 100% for what would be a once in a lifetime event rather than what are pretty de rigueur events at Twickenham or even London generally.
You will get that the first time it's South Africa's turn to host the final, which must come at some stage, after all they are now part of Europe :smt017
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

GB72 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:22 am
Chobbsy wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:13 am Sorry not for me I am afraid, if you think Welsh international rugby where do you think? ditto for France and Ireland.

its just my view
Purely playing devils advocate here but football has dozens of state of the art, large capacity stadiums. Rugby has 5 national stadiums, half od which are not modern or state of the art. Not sure on the rules of the competition. Is there a rotation of which country holds the final and is there any restriction on the ground or how many times a ground can be used. If anything prevented using Twickenham and it was to be in England (and that could be a prior booking for a band or another event) then there is no choice other than to use a football stadium.
I am also playing devil's advocate, because as far as I am aware the venue for the finals has not been announced yet :smt023
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Makes no difference to me. It’s a sports stadium with state of the art facilities and excellent public transport links.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

France are the worst example there. They fairly regularly (compared to the home nations) take the national team on the road, including to several of the stadiums I previously mentioned.

What's wrong with rugby trying to go to new venues? Surely better appealing to new audience in person and on TV with a state of the art stadium than another dreary afternoon at the dated Twickenham with its terrible service. Also, given the attendances at recent finals, a slightly smaller stadium will probably help the atmosphere.

Being stuck in its ways has been part of rugby union's problem. How great would it be if the RFU let England play away from the Twickenham cash-cow once or twice per year? Look at how rugby is well supported in France in both the Top14 and ProD2, with a union that takes the national team to Lille, Lyon, Bordeaux, Nantes, Marseilles, Montpelier etc.
Last edited by Hot_Charlie on Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:46 am Makes no difference to me. It’s a sports stadium with state of the art facilities and excellent public transport links.
Best stadium I've been to in a long time.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:46 am Makes no difference to me. It’s a sports stadium with state of the art facilities and excellent public transport links.
Excellent public transport links? :smt017