I don't believe it!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rutlandtiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

I don't believe it!

Post by Rutlandtiger »

Sorry to say this but it feels like we are overwhelmed with Victor Meldrews!
We have the best team in England. We have a season of exciting rugby to look forward to and all I read is negativity regarding shirts, lack of progress in some hotel, cryptocurrency and the lack of squad news. For goodness sake show some positivity. Heave!!!!
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: I don't believe it!

Post by Offside »

I can see your point. We are all enthusiastic about the team and the performances. The quality of player development and coaching will hopefully sell out MWWR and engage fans. With this great backdrop for the club to develop it is a greater counterpoint to an underwhelming kit and a Ponsi scheme with the clubs name on it. I think we were so excited that this is a big of a deflate. I hope all is forgotten once the games begin.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Nothing wrong with the team
Nothing wrong with the coaches
Nothing wrong with the ground

The shirts are disgusting

Love and best regards

Victor
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
JeffBadland
Tiger Cub

Post by JeffBadland »

I can see why people aren't particularly excited about this year's kits; they're pretty generic. However, it's clearly an exaggeration to say that they're disgusting.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Just go outside and shoot some gnomes
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Pretty sure the club played in the same shirt design for around a 100 years, I for one would like to see us go back to the same design and keep it, home and away. I get the club makes money from selling shirts, but looking at the crowd pictures, there's all manner of club shirts being worn, a lot of the original design, I for one could do with a replacement as mine has got holes in it and I get in a row every time I wear "that scruffy old thing", I shall not be buying this new one.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Meh, people have opinions shocker...

I'm pretty sure this forum was set up purely for Tigers fans to give their opinions on Leicester Tigers.
LittleBigG

Post by LittleBigG »

tigerburnie wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:39 am Pretty sure the club played in the same shirt design for around a 100 years, I for one would like to see us go back to the same design and keep it, home and away. I get the club makes money from selling shirts, but looking at the crowd pictures, there's all manner of club shirts being worn, a lot of the original design, I for one could do with a replacement as mine has got holes in it and I get in a row every time I wear "that scruffy old thing", I shall not be buying this new one.
I agree. I mean, I prefer the darker green than the lime green, but imagine being a opposition player running out to a sea of the same green, white, and red - knowing that you're more than likely going to be on the wrong end of a spanking. Must have put nerves into at least a few of them

They say that the care about the "brand" but are constantly diluting it with the constant change of kit. It would also be interesting to know how much money they DO actually make from kit sales... plenty of people still wear previous seasons kit to games

In years gone by, you could spot a Tigers fan "in the wild" (or Bath, or Gloucester, or Saints, or...) a mile off, now they just blend into the surroundings (I suppose that's what Darwin said would happen 🤣)

I guess my response to the kit is just "meh". I annoys me that they are constantly changing it, but at the end of the day, the excitement comes from those wearing the shirt, not what they are wearing. As a side note it would be interesting to know how much money they actually make from kit sales - probably not a hell of a lot tbh and, more to the point probably not a hell of a lot more than they used to!

The crypto sponsorship is incredibly polarising, and understandably some people are not happy about it (disclaimer: I vehemently disapprove on a fundamental level)

Lack of squad news is something people have never been happy about; I kind of understand the frustration from some angles but it's not something I'm that hungry up about. I was a bit bummed with some of the departees, but their replacements seem more than capable

But yeah, I for one was excited at the start of last season and am probably more so for the next! (I actually half-joked to my wife before the start oc last season that I wouldn't be surprised if we won it - never in a million years did I expect to go so like that though! 😁)

Back on topic... I think there is a strong feeling from a lot of supporters that a lot of things from the "amateur" era were absolutely fine but are being meddled with, and some of the same problems are still here

- We have an amazing team again (and coaches!)
- We seem to have a decent academy again!
- We have a decent stadium, with plans to improve even further
- The pitch is fantastic now (and not plaggy!)
- We are the best supported club in the country
- We are no longer #1 hated bitter rival to everyone else

But...
- We still don't know how to serve pints quickly (but at least the sausage rolls are decent!)
- Don't see the point in keep changing the kit every year
- Stuart Barnes and Lol are still *****
- Iffy deals with iffy companies
- The standard of refereeing is inconsistent (though improving imo! 👍)
- We are treated like mushrooms about certain things (although no doubt rightly in many cases)
- We are no longer #1 hated bitter rival to everyone else (we're working on fixing this... 5 in a row this time lads! 🤣)
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

Don’t you shoot my gnomes, rugbygramps! They are indeed naff, but so naff that they transcend naffness. Having said that, mine are in the front garden and no-one has nicked them.
VernonAtrium

Post by VernonAtrium »

The kit's fine. Your Geocities throwback message board needs a bit of work, though.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

JeffBadland wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:55 am I can see why people aren't particularly excited about this year's kits; they're pretty generic. However, it's clearly an exaggeration to say that they're disgusting.
Oh no it isn't!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

JeffBadland wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:55 am I can see why people aren't particularly excited about this year's kits; they're pretty generic. However, it's clearly an exaggeration to say that they're disgusting.
The problem isn't the playing shirts design, it's the replica kit!

Who wan't to see fat middle aged men in figure hugging polyester shirts?

They need to be either decent polo shirts or old fasioned rugby shirts
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

mol2 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:35 am
Who wan't to see fat middle aged men in figure hugging polyester shirts?
Oi! I resemble that remark!!
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Like or hate the kits, they are an essential part of financing a sports club. Now, rugby, at least for the time being, has an advantage in that there is less peer pressure to have the latest kit than there is in the likes of football and there is, certainly amongst the older fans, a certain amount of cudos attached to the age of your shirt. Still, selling shirts every year is normally a massive revenue stream and it makes no sense for the clubs finances not to change annually. It also has to look different enought from last year for people to justify the spend as, unlike some football shirts, rugby shirts actually last as the number of vaccum sealed bags of old shirts under my bed will testify to.

I am long past buying the latest kit (my age and body shape means that they new shirts make me look like a laminated egg) but U am well catered for in the other collections that also cater for my desire for the older shirt designs. The new designs are now something for the generations below me to worry about.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Big Dai wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:23 am
Oh no it isn't!
Bit early for Panto season Dai.....................................he's behind you......................
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.