Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

fleabane
Super User
Super User

New sponsor . . .

Post by fleabane »

. . . Is a betting organisation?

Is this in the spirit of a family oriented club? I don't think so, regardless of how much we need the cash. To take the money on the basis that if we don't, someone else will, is pitiful.
Valhalla I am coming!
dunks43

Re: New sponsor . . .

Post by dunks43 »

And why not... How many millions have a bet each year on the national ?
How many play the lottery each week?

Gambling isnt illegal or unethical
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

fleabane wrote:. . . Is a betting organisation?

Is this in the spirit of a family oriented club? I don't think so, regardless of how much we need the cash. To take the money on the basis that if we don't, someone else will, is pitiful.
Might as well get rid of achol as well.
Last edited by RagingBull on Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Gambling isnt unethical[/quote]

Oh yes it is. The cruelty to animals, boxers and what ever else these pathetic punters waste their money on is not far removed from cock fighting. Organised Crime is never far from gambling and the "legitimate" businesses are often fronts for money launderers.

Just look at the "come on" adverts. "Free money - come and bet with us!!!". Then read the conditions: "IF you win you must "re-invest" (ie bet) 35 more times and win each time before you can even get back your original bet let alone your alleged winnings. The inadequates who succumb to such blandishments are beyond help.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Old Hob wrote:Gambling isnt unethical
Oh yes it is. The cruelty to animals, boxers and what ever else these pathetic punters waste their money on is not far removed from cock fighting. Organised Crime is never far from gambling and the "legitimate" businesses are often fronts for money launderers.

Just look at the "come on" adverts. "Free money - come and bet with us!!!". Then read the conditions: "IF you win you must "re-invest" (ie bet) 35 more times and win each time before you can even get back your original bet let alone your alleged winnings. The inadequates who succumb to such blandishments are beyond help.[/quote]

Okay I'll bite what is wrong with boxing.

By your logic what Manu did to Ashton isn't far removed from cock fighting. Hell rugby isn't that far removed from Boxing.

Organised Crime is never far away from waste disposal management either should you not take the bins out. (Source I have seen the sopranos)
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

I have a Ladbrokes betting account. I put a maximum of 20p on per bet and have had it for 4 years and only ever put £10 in. I don't think that I am supporting organised crime but having a bit of fun.

If the company puts money in our coffers then that is good and also helps build the club up.

I don't mind that we are sponsored by a gambling company. Its a large market which is slowly getting bigger and worth more.
There is never any points for 2nd place...
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Of course! Someone was going to moan! :smt011 Seems like they have nothing better to do!

Conversation goes like this:
Child- Daddy/Mommy what is betting?
Parent- Something adults do which you don't need to worry about.
Conversation ends.
Last edited by ellis9 on Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Dr H Flashman MBE wrote:I have a Ladbrokes betting account. I put a maximum of 20p on per bet and have had it for 4 years and only ever put £10 in. I don't think that I am supporting organised crime but having a bit of fun.

If the company puts money in our coffers then that is good and also helps build the club up.

I don't mind that we are sponsored by a gambling company. Its a large market which is slowly getting bigger and worth more.

You are directly supporting Brick Top.
Tigersunited

Post by Tigersunited »

Hang on a minute, flea bite might have something here. After all a family orientated club must only be associated with things that children can do. After all, dad, mum, auntie, uncle, grandparents would never do the lottery or bet on the national , our only sponsor should be toys r us.
Further to that , it's time we banned alcohol in the ground, look at the issues it causes. And while we are there, let's get rid if anything containing sugar, diabetes etc ruins lives. We also need to stop selling red meat, which is linked to all kinds of diseases. What do we do with the sun? We all know what that can do so the board must tear the ground down and put us in a bubble, after all, skin burns . While we are at it, rugby is linked with all sorts of injuries, and long term damage. We must ban rugby in Leicester and disband the club. Simples.
Or, we can shun the nanny state and make our own choices and be responsible for that. I bet some will disagree.....
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

RagingBull wrote:
fleabane wrote:. . . Is a betting organisation?

Might as well get rid of alcohol as well.
Well sometimes RB it feels like the days of Prohibition whilst in the queue for the bars :smt030
However how many people read what is on the "Guard Of Honour" banners it's the players between them we shout for.
"We need lots of team cheering tomorrow as it means such a lot to the players" quote Tom Youngs Tuesday evening. :smt038
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

I don't understand betting and, whenever I do place a bet, I lose: it follows.
I do the lottery once a month: once a year I might win something.
I hate all TV betting adverts: nothing short of entrapment .
However , I suspect that a large number of the products that our now major club sponsor markets probably don't work in the way that people think when they swallow them or rub them in...........
So, tell me, which is worse ?
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

I'm not a huge fan of the plethora of online sports betting sponsorships that have become prevalent in sport over the past decade - they tend to be tacky and classless. That said, we obviously aren't in the position we were previously with our sponsors, and the calibre we were able to attract.

More of a concern is the lion on the kit! :smt003
Last edited by Hot_Charlie on Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

RagingBull wrote:
Dr H Flashman MBE wrote:I have a Ladbrokes betting account. I put a maximum of 20p on per bet and have had it for 4 years and only ever put £10 in. I don't think that I am supporting organised crime but having a bit of fun.

You are directly supporting Brick Top.
Like a Nemises?
There is never any points for 2nd place...
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote="fleabane"]. . . Is a betting organisation?

Is this in the spirit of a family oriented club? I don't think so, regardless of how much we need the cash. To take the money on the basis that if we don't, someone else will, is pitiful.[/quote]

and to quote from another recent thread ...
...."A concentration on the core business, a successful and high achieving rugby union club, maximising financial opportunities to fully support on field activities, is what is needed."

Seems that some are hard to please.
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

Tigersunited wrote:I bet some will disagree.....
What price are you offering?
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man