Mat Tait

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Iain
Super User
Super User

Mat Tait

Post by Iain »

Remember when he was injury prone and a waste of time being signed only to sit in the treatment room? When he was considered a bit erratic and it seemed odd signing him and releasing Hipkiss?

In a time when we've had a lot of injuries he's barely been injured since he recovered from the long injury at the start of his time with us and has been a refreshingly consistent performer at 15 or 13 since then.

Who'd have thought that would have been the case a few years ago?

Remarkable turnaround in fortunes for someone on whom the common view was his career had pretty much crashed and burned early.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Re: Mat Tait

Post by Noggs »

I suspect he will be away at the end of the season. Competition for starts at both positions will be tough next season (we hope) and a two year 'pay day' contract in France would seem to be the order of the day. :smt023
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I thought Tait signed a 2 year deal in the summer.

After he backed out of the Bayonne move.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Yes Raging Bull he did sign a contract which runs out on 30 June 2017, but as we all know most contracts these days are mere scraps of paper.
As he doesn't stand a cat in hells chance of regaining his international status, if I were him I would be looking to get a place with a French top14 club for the remaining 4 or 5 years of his shelf life and putting some money in his family coffers, as Family must always come first.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Noddy555 wrote:Yes Raging Bull he did sign a contract which runs out on 30 June 2017, but as we all know most contracts these days are mere scraps of paper.
As he doesn't stand a cat in hells chance of regaining his international status, if I were him I would be looking to get a place with a French top14 club for the remaining 4 or 5 years of his shelf life and putting some money in his family coffers, as Family must always come first.
Incorrect. If he, or any club who wished to sign him, wished to break the contract we would need to be financially compensated unless we greed to release him.

You're thinking of football.
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

Correct - also the fact that he pulled out of his trip to France BECAUSE of his family, not due to relegation
Less is more....
Timmers
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Timmers »

Its all about knowing your body and managing it....I'm sure a lot of those who exercise out there know that you understand your body better with age. Trainign routines etc

Tait doesnt spend as much time as others going through rigorous routines before the game. he warms up very slowly.
Against bath a while back he walked off after 30 seconds with a hamstring problem and returned 2 weeks later. The fact is he knew to leave the field having only just started the game. Not sure he would have done that in his early 20's.

He didnt have the best of games on Saturday but he looked sharp.....sharper than ive seen him in a long time and im sure thats becuase he's had a consistent run in the team.

Will he be with us next season? Im not so sure....Veainu is nailed on at 15 and with Manu returning from injury, Pieterson coming in on the wing, freeing up Betham for 13, i cant see Tait being a regular starter which is what he needs at his age.

Lets hope the likes of Manu and Croft follow in his footsteps and have an injury free few years ahead of them
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Shush, please don't put the mockers on him, or anyone else, we have a load of injuries and don't need any more!
Guinness&Nuts
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Guinness&Nuts »

I expect to see Mat Tait at Leicester next season.

Manu will be away with Eng when fit, therefore Tait will be needed to cover 13 or play 15.

I don't think Veainu is nailed on to start 15 next season even with the arrival of JPP. Veainu will move between FB and Wing.
Leicester will have lots of options in the back three, one of which will be Tait, who still has lot's to offer.
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote="Guinness&Nuts"]I expect to see Mat Tait at Leicester next season.

Manu will be away with Eng when fit, therefore Tait will be needed to cover 13 or play 15.

I don't think Veainu is nailed on to start 15 next season even with the arrival of JPP. Veainu will move between FB and Wing.
Leicester will have lots of options in the back three, one of which will be Tait, who still has lot's to offer.[/quote]

Spot on!
He also brings a wealth of experience.
Tigers will want to maintain lots of options including Tait ( hopefully, Morris too).
Betham has been on record as to his preference to be at wing or FB (not 13).
mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mike »

Well , Veianu ought to be nailed on at 15 ! He has pace and vision which no-one else can match and we are a much better side when he is fully involved rather than hanging about on the wing .Tait is reliable and not so injury prone as before , but his searing pace is long gone and I see him as a squad man rather than as 1st choice .
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Yes Veianu is great in attack but the downside of that is that he can join the line a bit too often leaving us exposed in defence on any turnovers.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

For Guiness and nuts, of course Tait will be at the tigers for next season but I doubt very much if he will be a tiger's player come September 2017.
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote="Noddy555"]For Guiness and nuts, of course Tait will be at the tigers for next season but I doubt very much if he will be a tiger's player come September 2017.[/quote]

So, back to the OP - let's hope he continues to play well and stays relatively injury free for at least the next one and a half seasons. Beyond that, who knows?