Ref Guidance 2014/15

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tigerref

Ref Guidance 2014/15

Post by Tigerref »

It has now been cleared for public consumption the guidelines for refs 2014/15.

As it is a world cup cycle year there are no major changes to the laws and no ELVs.

Therefore the focus is on the basics as you'd expect, with a reemphasis on the clear and obvious.

One area that has (finally) been cleared up is when is the ball out of the ruck.

Over the years there's been many interpretations of this from 'the bird can sh+t on it, to scrum half hands on.

The IRB (soon to be re named 'World Rugby') has ruled on this.

The ball is out when it's either cleared the hindmost foot - i.e. rolled out. Or the scrum half has hands on AND lifted it from the ground.

There's some technical gumpf about the scrums that I'm happy to share but it really is quite complex and about body angles and arm positions of front row players.

All a little dull really.
Nailsworthstiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Ref Guidance 2014/15

Post by Nailsworthstiger »

Tigerref wrote: There's some technical gumpf about the scrums that I'm happy to share but it really is quite complex and about body angles and arm positions of front row players.
So if it is complex, this means most refs will have a different interpretation to each other and the players and crowd won't know which way sir will call it.

No change there then :smt003
Tigerref

Post by Tigerref »

It is complex, if you don't complex apparently there's a game that's popular further north that has 13 players...........

:smt003
Norfolk & Goode
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Norfolk & Goode »

Nailsworthstiger wrote:So if it is complex, this means most refs will have a different interpretation to each other and the players and crowd won't know which way sir will call it.

No change there then :smt003
Refs still brief both sides before matches on their interpretations - no change there.

Fans/players still trying to blame refs for their own ignorance - no change there.

Consistency during the game is the issue, not each referees interpretations. :smt045
amazing tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by amazing tiger »

consistancy in refs is very hard to come by
Jeremy Anderson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremy Anderson »

Refs are consistently inconsistent!
Jez

Only Winners Win!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

I will hold my opinion till I've watched a good bit this season. All I ask for is the Laws to be judiciously and relatively consistently enforced.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Tigerref

Post by Tigerref »

http://www.dorsetandwiltsrefs.org.uk/do ... W-REGS.pdf

Thought I'd share this one with you as an example of how complex our game is getting.

FR player leaves the field in an amateur league game - is contested or uncontested scrums do they play on with 14 or 15 what about blood or red card?

Simple refer to your handy logic tree!

Cheers
TheRugbyRef
Tiger Cub

Post by TheRugbyRef »

Tigerref wrote:http://www.dorsetandwiltsrefs.org.uk/do ... W-REGS.pdf

Thought I'd share this one with you as an example of how complex our game is getting.

FR player leaves the field in an amateur league game - is contested or uncontested scrums do they play on with 14 or 15 what about blood or red card?

Cheers
It's really not that complex. If a team causes uncontested scrums, then they play on with 14 players (assuming no other players off for cards, etc). You cannot have uncontested scrums and 15 v 15.
Law 6.A.4(a) The referee is the sole judge of fact and of Law during a match.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

The only guidance I would give to refs, the part that is repeatable I mean, would be to be consistent in your treatment of both teams, even if you're consistently bad.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

TheRugbyRef wrote:

Cheers
It's really not that complex. If a team causes uncontested scrums, then they play on with 14 players (assuming no other players off for cards, etc). You cannot have uncontested scrums and 15 v 15.
Except for the fifteen minutes of a blood injury where it is the second or further replacement?
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Noddy555 wrote:The only guidance I would give to refs, the part that is repeatable I mean, would be to be consistent in your treatment of both teams, even if you're consistently bad.
Three rules:
1) Be safe
2) Be fair
3) Know some laws
TheRugbyRef
Tiger Cub

Post by TheRugbyRef »

h's dad wrote:
TheRugbyRef wrote:

Cheers
Except for the fifteen minutes of a blood injury where it is the second or further replacement?
Well that depends on what level you are playing at? Most CB's now have interchanges, instead of substitutions and replacements, at level 5 and below. There isn't any blood bin where interchanges are used.
Law 6.A.4(a) The referee is the sole judge of fact and of Law during a match.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

TheRugbyRef wrote:
h's dad wrote:
TheRugbyRef wrote:It's really not that complex. If a team causes uncontested scrums, then they play on with 14 players (assuming no other players off for cards, etc). You cannot have uncontested scrums and 15 v 15.
Well that depends on what level you are playing at? Most CB's now have interchanges, instead of substitutions and replacements, at level 5 and below. There isn't any blood bin where interchanges are used.
So it depends on where you're playing, what level you're playing and what you're playing in. And it's not that complex? You're a better man than I am Gunga Din.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

And the logic tree doesn't seem to acknowledge the law amendment trial: Temporary replacement - head injury assessment which I would guess is the same as a blood injury except for only ten minutes rather than fifteen?