Ref for saturday

Post by sjm »

Just read we have got our friend popeye doyle
MJ Chairman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Ref for saturday

Post by MJ Chairman »

Didn't rate him when he first appeared on the scene, but now feel he is fast becoming one of the leading AP refs.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

I have very strong views on refs as people who've seen my posts will know - I'll almost forgive anything if it's done consistently (I'll still moan mind you!) so I'm OK with Doyle who does things his way but is totally even handed.

It's Nigel Owens and Jonathan Kaplan who bug me when you don't know what they'll do from one moment to the next and the team can't even adjust to suit the way they're reffing.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

Those two shouldn't be anywhere near a senior rugby match ever again.

Both biased against England and Tigers.
A life long Tiger
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

DickyP wrote:It's Nigel Owens and Jonathan Kaplan who bug me when you don't know what they'll do from one moment to the next and the team can't even adjust to suit the way they're reffing.
I'm waiting for the day Nigel Owens eventually realises we go to a match to watch the players and not him. To quote the football referee Jack Taylor, 'The best referee is the one you never see.'
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Exactly why Pascal Gauzere was so good when he started, why Doyle has improved so much, and why Poite is so good on his good days - it's not until you see the match photos that you realise the good positions and the keeping up with play that so many refs lack.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Agree he has improved on recent showings.

When he first started to ref the prem he was about as much use as Mrs Doyle from Father Ted.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
Easty

Post by Easty »

jgriffin wrote:..... the good positions and the keeping up with play that so many refs lack.
I know you said Poite 'on his good days' but did you see how many times he got in the way at the weekend?

As for Mr Owen ~ having awarded a penalty against us for our forwards (on the half-way line) 'not retreating' when we kicked the ball to touch from our own 22, no problem with the decision as its correct and can often prevent a quick throw-in. But I seriously spat my dummy out when in his game last weekend, with exactly the same circumstances, were not penalised and, as a quickie was taken, were allowed to close down the attack within metres of where it was taken.
How can he be so inconsistent within a week? Oh I'm sorry I forgot....he's an elite ref so can change the rules to suit how he's feeling or who's playing some might say