12 J Roberts (Cardiff Blues and Wales)
11 L Fitzgerald (Leinster and Ireland)

10 S Jones (Scarlets and Wales)
9 M Phillips (Ospreys and Wales)

1 G Jenkins (Cardiff Blues and Wales)
2 M Rees (Scarlets and Wales)
3 A Jones (Ospreys and Wales)
4 S Shaw (Wasps and England)
5 P O'Connell (Munster and Ireland, capt)
6 T Croft (Leicester and England)
7 D Wallace (Munster and Ireland)
8 J Heaslip (Leinster and Ireland)

Replacements:
16 R Ford (Edinburgh and Scotland)
17 A Sheridan (Sale and England)
18 AW Jones (Ospreys and Wales)
19 M Williams (Cardiff and Wales)
20 H Ellis (Leicester and England)
21 R O'Gara (Munster and Ireland)
22 S Williams (Ospreys and Wales)

Courtesy of Skysports
No place in the squad for Monye, Mears or Vickery, but Tom makes the team again!

*This author is aware Rob Kearney plays for Leinster, it is skysports who are at fault
Last edited by TigrisLeicesteris on Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
Voltaire

"Morné Steyn is awaited in Paris like the Messiah or a new generation of Apple smartphone" Ze Stade Fan
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Re: Team for the 2nd Test

Post by dailywaffle »

Kearney - no surprise if Byrne isn't fully fit.
Fitzgerald - must have been a close call between him and Ickle, Monye blew his chance.
Rees & Jones - totally predictable.
Shaw - predicted by the world's media, but has been massively over-hyped.

Mears, Vickery and Monye all fail to make the bench as well, looks like Gethin is covering TH. A shame Hook didn't look more composed on Tuesday, as he and Ickle would have offered a plan B.
crateman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by crateman »

Not convinced about Philips at 9. He seems to have the same step and slow delivery that Harry gets accused of, without the sniping breaks. I'd prefer to see Martyn Williams start at 7 for his sheer pain in the (inset grown up version of bottom) factor. Shaw will give us the beef and resistance to being bullied. Good to see the old crock Vickery dropped. Glad to see that we have signed Kearney, didn't see that one coming. Generally, looks a good side.
DaveA

Post by DaveA »

TigrisLeicesteris, is this some sort of new rumour? I see that you have put Kearney down as Leicester/Ireland! Is it going to be an all-Irish battle for the Tigers No15 shirt between him and Geordan?! :smt001
TigrisLeicesteris
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigrisLeicesteris »

:smt005 I actually got it from Skysports and pasted it so blame them not me but wouldn't it be funny if we started it :smt002
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
Voltaire

"Morné Steyn is awaited in Paris like the Messiah or a new generation of Apple smartphone" Ze Stade Fan
Duncan B
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Duncan B »

Pretty predictable, though was hoping O'Callaghan may get a start. Kearney lookd pretty classy when he came on last week so lets hope a repeat from him, and lets hope ickle gets on and scores a dazzling wonder try, running through habannas legs! Bit harsh on lee mears being dropped completely from 22?
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

It comes (Rob Kearney Leicester/Ireland) from the Sky Sports web site.

http://tinyurl.com/nevjvg

Slip of the pen me thinks but hey, competition at FB is always a good thing.
Always a Tiger
APJones
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by APJones »

I quite like the idea of letting the Irish and welsh play against the RSA , it means our lads won't be smashed up for the 6 Nations LOL

Take care Crofty and lets hope Harry doesn't stick his head anywhere where it might get torn off or squashed again , can't help admiring the tenacity of the little b*gger tho
http://www.flickr.com/photos/apjones/collections/72157604067869830/
JOIN the Leicester Tigers Rugby photo group on Flickr LINK ABOVE
APJos and pit15
tigermad
Super User
Super User

Post by tigermad »

dailywaffle wrote:Kearney - no surprise if Byrne isn't fully fit.
Fitzgerald - must have been a close call between him and Ickle, Monye blew his chance.
Rees & Jones - totally predictable.
Shaw - predicted by the world's media, but has been massively over-hyped.

Mears, Vickery and Monye all fail to make the bench as well, looks like Gethin is covering TH. A shame Hook didn't look more composed on Tuesday, as he and Ickle would have offered a plan B.
Ditto dailywaffle and would have liked to have seen Hook as another option as Pienaar and Steyne look pretty good for the Boks and a bit more dynamic than Jones and Co.

:smt026 :smt026
Philip J Gray
k1
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by k1 »

No surprise to see Shaw in there (given Hines's ban). One of the 2 should've been in for the 1st test to front up the physical challenge.
Kearney understandable, given Byrne's unfit. Kearney's quality as well.
Vickery should never in a million years been anywhere near this tour. Often the media (and public) can get on a player's back if he doesn't perform, and this can get blown out of proportion. In this case, however, it is entirely justified. He can't scrummage and he's incapable of lasting 80 mins.
Mears, bit harsh I feel. All Welsh front row could provide a pretty stable unit though.
Monye, again I think is a bit harsh. This is a situation where it has been blown out of proportion. One superb try-saving tackle from de Villiers, a bit naive to hold the ball in the wrong hand, but don't see why Fitzgerald or Williams should get in above him.

Other than that, sound team. Need more from o'Connell, for me he's been anon most of the tour.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

God help us ! The rugby world has gone totally and utterly stark raving bonkers ! Can someone please tell me how Shane Williams makes the bench before a Monye ? Talk about being made a scapegoat...Ugo Monye has been one of the best players on tour, sound in defence, threatening in attack (joint top try scorer) and a very good tactical kicker. To say he "missed" 2 tries in the 1st Test is harsh, no player in the world would have expected De Villiers to get his arm under the ball for the first effort...I concede that he should have gone lower for the second attempt and had the ball in his other hand. But, the fact is that he gets into scoring positions. Williams is overrated, out of form and the wrong choice...even for the bench. If he gets a spot as substitute for catching a couple of high balls, clearing up defensively in the rain and make a couple of breaks, probably totalling about 15 metres...then there is something wrong. Instead, what confidence Monye had has now been drained out of him and Williams is entrusted with perhaps being an impact sub should the need arise....this is wrong.
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Shane has not been selected for bench duty as a result of anything he has done on tour. Quite simply, he is there because he can be a world class player, and is capable of moments of magic that Monye (as yet) can only dream of. A try down with time running out ....... its not even a close call.

If you're going to lose, then lose big.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

You hit the nail on the head there dw..."capable"....but not seen on this particular tour or any time in the recent past. Agreed that Monye has a while yet before he can even be talked about as world class, but the difference between him and Williams is they have both had game time on this tour, Monye has taken his chance with both hands and Williams is still striving to get anywhere near his form of last season. For me, a no-brainer...Monye should be starting with Fitzgerald on the bench.
k1
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by k1 »

I agree, westwinds. Like I said above, the monye situation has been blown out of proportion. He didn't "miss" 2 chances, he had one taken away with a superb try-saving tackle and the other he lost the ball forward in contact. Williams has done nothing, despite being given opportunities. To say the side is picked on form is comical in this respect.

On a more positive note, it's great to see Croft retain his place. Thoroughly deserved. For me, he was the stand-out player in the 1st test. Makes you wonder why he wasn't in the squad in the first instance???