Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Bill W
Super User
Super User

Lewsey to retire from international rugby

Post by Bill W »

According to The Times:

http://tinyurl.com/5ml9k2
The opinion expressed above is that of the author and does not imply any acceptance of it by Leicester Football Club PLC or their agents who in no way share responsibility with the author for its publication.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

parkerd68
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by parkerd68 »

IMO that's a shame. I don't think Lewsey's had a fair crack of the whip, and I certainly think he would have done a better job than Noon in the autumn internationals. Having said that, I hope an improving Hipkiss gets his chance. I thought he looked at the weekend and something approaching his best form.
Nic

Post by Nic »

Agree it would be a shame.

Few of the recent starters seem to play with his aggresive style.

It would be a shame if he is lost to England I still think he has something to offer, I hope he has'nt fell out with Johno.

I am sure he has considered this if true. I personally don't like retirements and then changes of heart at a later date.
masopa
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by masopa »

Not a fan of the guy to be totally honest. Having said that, he was great in an England shirt for 2-3 of years and it’s a shame he hasn’t really recovered that form.

I would say it was more of a loss when his form deserted him, less so now.
westy154
Super User
Super User

Post by westy154 »

Agree with Masopa.

I don't think he would ever have found his way back to the team, so it is good that he has gone out on his terms rather than just fade away, and he has been a good servant, especially around the World Cup win.

Haven't liked his play in the past few years and didn't think he deserved a place in the EPS anymore. But irrespective of that, we thank him for his tireless service to the cause.

Another Wolrd Cup winner bites the dust. If only Vickery would follow his lead. :smt001
John
---
He is able to lift up a heavy object when that heavy object says "lift me now".
bwightman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by bwightman »

I'm in accordance with various sentiments:

1) He was one of Europe's top fullbacks/wingers for the five years around the 2003 World Cup.

2) He would find it extremely difficult to force his way back into the England team now.

3) Surely he'd be a better gamble than Jamie "Offers Nothing" Noon at outside centre.

Fingers crossed for him that his season picks up now he's totally dedicated to Wasps and not worrying about national recall.
Duncan B
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Duncan B »

I would still fancy him and cueto in the wing berths over ojo and sackey, or even have had him at outside centre.
Ben the Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Ben the Tiger »

After watching that clip, I was browsing around looking at various others and I came across this one. I can remember seeing it live and I didn't think it was worth a red card yellow yes but red I am not sure.

What do you lot think?

http://tinyurl.com/6aw68h
Success only comes before work in the dictionary.

"Rugby is a hooligans game played by gentlemen." Winston Churchill
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I thought the descision had been taken out of his hands by MJ.

To be blunt he has been a great servant of England but at 32 he shouldn't be part of a side building to the 2011 WC. The latter should be applied to a few of the others in the England side.
Daveyboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Daveyboy »

Ben,

I think that was an indefensible attack by Simon Shaw and deserved the red.
Today is yesterday's tomorrow.
boondock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by boondock »

lewsey in his prime was fantastic. the tackle on rogers will live long in the memory.

but he's past that now. he was at fullback when they last at the gardens at the start of the season and had an abysmal game.

so no surprise here.

(p.s - i agree shaw deserved that red)
"I don't recall Boondock posting inflammatory comments on here. I can see nothing wrong with him, except for him being a Saint..." westy154 18/03/08
LessThanSte
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by LessThanSte »

I still think this was his best moment;

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=CzNv5wO1K ... re=related

BTW, id just like to agree with the person above who said that lewsey and cueto on the wings for england would be better than the current lot!
#48 FTW :)
bc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bc »

Bill W - Point of order he has retired from England but still wants to play international rugby for Lions!

Which leads nicely to the my 2nd point. I suspect not many players, who have aspirations to play for the Lions, can risk declaring that the are retiring playing for their country. Unless, of course, either your current club boss and club senior coach as well as your club ex boss are the senior managers/coaches for the Lions in 2009!
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

An excellent point of order!

We shall retire (well I am already retired) and consider it!

Have to say though I would ab initio even with his Wasps parentage rank his lions channces as 2/3 of 1% of not a lot!
The opinion expressed above is that of the author and does not imply any acceptance of it by Leicester Football Club PLC or their agents who in no way share responsibility with the author for its publication.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007