Mauger to stay on after his 2 1/2 year contract?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

chappie
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Mauger to stay on after his 2 1/2 year contract?

Post by chappie »

Just been reading the thread about Craig Newby where one of the posters said he would make a good captain along with the likes of Mauger etc.

This got me thinking that he only signed a 2 1/2 year contract!
Do we feel he will stay on or go back home?

I for one hope that we give him a new contract, class player who is starting to find his All Black form. :smt023
Franck Tournaire Number 1 fan.
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

I for one hope that we do extend his contract. Hopefully he is now over his injuries and we will have terrific centre partnerships developing with him leading the youngsters.
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

no doubt we will try and keep him - it depends on the lure of NZ to him, he did however do an interview where he said "i might have to acknowledge soon that the match (against romania in the world cup) will have been my last in the All Black shirt" which showed he might be thinking fo staying on and being a vital part of the club - Tom Youngs can only be learning from him.
Ben the Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Ben the Tiger »

I remember very well when he signed that he said he wanted a new experience but he was going to go back to New Zealand in time for the 2011 World Cup. So I think he's going to do his 2 and a half years and clear off back to New Zealand.
Success only comes before work in the dictionary.

"Rugby is a hooligans game played by gentlemen." Winston Churchill
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

Ben the Tiger wrote:I remember very well when he signed that he said he wanted a new experience but he was going to go back to New Zealand in time for the 2011 World Cup. So I think he's going to do his 2 and a half years and clear off back to New Zealand.
that was when it was first announced, about 6 months before the world cup, to the NZ press he said he might try and return for the 2011 World Cup - alot seemed to have changed between that interview and the one after NZs exit from the RWC.
bwightman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by bwightman »

Firstly, I'd love to see Mauger stay on. He's a great player and, now he's back on form, adds such a lot to Tigers' game.

On the All Black issue, I can't see Mauger reclaiming the 2nd 5/8ths shirt. Nonu is making that his own plus McAlister hasn't ruled out returning to NZ before the next world cup.

If he wants to stay we're happy to keep him!
Tigers Tiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Tigers Tiger »

He made it clear that when he moved, he wanted to go back to NZ before too long, but it might be possible to get another year or two out of him, but I doubt it.
boondock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by boondock »

the kiwi coaches are coming over in the new year to look at how some of their guys are playing over here. the implication is they will suggest to players whether or not it is worth their while heading back to nz ahead of the 2011 rwc.

i read this in connection with a story about mcalister, but took it at the time to include guys like mauger, evans & co. so he'll have an idea of where he stands by the end of the season.
"I don't recall Boondock posting inflammatory comments on here. I can see nothing wrong with him, except for him being a Saint..." westy154 18/03/08