Welsh Region Salary Cap?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Howey
Top Cat
Top Cat

Welsh Region Salary Cap?

Post by Howey »

Was just reading that the Ospreys are looking at bringing in a couple of New Zealanders and it made me wonder if the Welsh regions had salary caps. Does anyone know? The wage bill of the Ospreys must be massive so I can't imagine them having one. It does put the English clubs at quite a disadvantage in Europe with the French not having one, especially if the Welsh Regions don't either!
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

No, they do not have caps, although there is a gentleman's agreement about how many nWq players they can field.

I don't know the Ospreys payroll, but bearing in mind their £turnover is less than half of ours I'd be surprised if their payroll was anything like the top French teams.
Hoorah_Henry
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Hoorah_Henry »

According to that article you are talking about i believe it says that welsh teams are allowed 6 non welsh internationals in their team! I don't know if this relates to the heineken cup but it does sound a little worrying with money being injected who knows we could be seeing ospreys with the likes of Holah,Marshall,Toeava,Atiga and Jerry Collins for example that would be a little unfair shall we say thats an extreme theory but it still looks ominious!!!??
Face Your Fears, Live your Dreams!