Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Re: Dan McKellar to join Leicester Tigers as Head Coach

Post by westwinds31 »

TigerCam wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:27 am Sydney Herald:

"McKellar and Borthwick have a relationship and the forward-oriented style of the ex-Brumbies coach is seen as a good fit for Leicester, one of the historically dominant clubs in England."

As long as the backs get to see the ball?

Interesting times, I wonder how long he will stay given that he has already indicated that his plan is to return to Aus and the Wallabies.
With a pack making yardage and our ruck speed improving, it lends itself to Pollard exploiting the space and gaps out wide.
TigerXV

Post by TigerXV »

I know this link has already been posted but this interview with Dan McKellar is a must watch for anyone interested in the man and how he works. He is really impressive and I can totally see why we have gone with him as he is very SB like - attention to detail, person person, forward set piece orientated with attack bolted on - oh and not a fan of kick tennis/box kicks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5bXSafVGHE
Ashurstwoodtiger

Post by Ashurstwoodtiger »

Just spotted from Matt To'oma on F***book
Tigers are in good hands guys. A great man and an exceptional coach. Tough and uncompromising, he will certainly suit the Tigers way. Physical, Successful, Values driven club, Strong set piece etc. Well done. COYT
Interesting
Lutontiger

Post by Lutontiger »

Bet he’s coming to watch the Test matches 😝
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

ay2oh wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:44 am
TigerMac3 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:41 am Come on Andrea, just announce Giteau as incoming backs guru and be done with it…

:smt002
sooner have Vesty
Why?
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

Because he is ex Tigers😉
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

TigerXV wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:16 pm I know this link has already been posted but this interview with Dan McKellar is a must watch for anyone interested in the man and how he works. He is really impressive and I can totally see why we have gone with him as he is very SB like - attention to detail, person person, forward set piece orientated with attack bolted on - oh and not a fan of kick tennis/box kicks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5bXSafVGHE
That is a really good listen. Agree, he does come across as very process driven, Borthwick mk2.
I also liked what I heard about his attention to detail around individuals, he doesn’t have a one plan fits all. Also, he mentions on more than one occasion the value he places in having a strong coaching squad around him that he trusts, so he can look at the bigger picture. Doesn’t sound like he’ll just accept who he’s told to have. He talks about appointing an attack coach and searching for exactly the right fit, even if he wasn’t a well know option. I do feel we will have a ruthlessly efficient pack, as is the Tigers demand, and if we can get the backs rolling we’ll be in a good space.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

I would love to see Du Plessis as scrum coach.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Be great to see Boris back. It would be good to keep Goppeth as a kicking coach. Atkinson and other young Wasps have spoken well of his skills and encouragement. Smith to go back to coaching the youngsters!
I know we defended well against Sarries but let’s see how we do v Irish on Saturday: their attack is better than most teams. Keep Irish quiet and win then maybe we do have the right defence coach!!
Vesty would be great as attack coach won’t come as he’s stated he’s happy at Saints.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Ian Cant wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:48 pm Be great to see Boris back. It would be good to keep Goppeth as a kicking coach. Atkinson and other young Wasps have spoken well of his skills and encouragement. Smith to go back to coaching the youngsters!
I know we defended well against Sarries but let’s see how we do v Irish on Saturday: their attack is better than most teams. Keep Irish quiet and win then maybe we do have the right defence coach!!
Vesty would be great as attack coach won’t come as he’s stated he’s happy at Saints.
One thing about Gopperth as kicking coach.

Atkinson was considered a wayward kicker, first game he looked ropey. Sinfield recommended swapping his kicking tee, worked a treat, since he's done that his kicking has come on loads.

Atkinson has worked with Gopperth for years, but it was Sinfield who fixed his kicking.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:13 pm
Ian Cant wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:48 pm Be great to see Boris back. It would be good to keep Goppeth as a kicking coach. Atkinson and other young Wasps have spoken well of his skills and encouragement. Smith to go back to coaching the youngsters!
One thing about Gopperth as kicking coach.

Atkinson was considered a wayward kicker, first game he looked ropey. Sinfield recommended swapping his kicking tee, worked a treat, since he's done that his kicking has come on loads.

Atkinson has worked with Gopperth for years, but it was Sinfield who fixed his kicking.
Sinfield was a more than handy kicker in his day.

Do we really need a kicking coach? We've got Gopperth and Pollard at the club I'm sure between the two of them the younger guys will be able to pick up some tips.

The coaches coming through at the club have been repeatedly talked up. I'd expect them to remain in assistant positions supporting the new defence and attack coaches chosen by Dan McKellar. Will help with continuity and the likes of Bret Deacon and Matt Smith will certainly help keep the Tigers identity McKellar has already spoken highly of.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Gopperth has manufactured his own tee, which he uses all the time. Presumably, Atkinson was using that at Wasps.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Gotta give the guy a chance and not pre judge...
Big names = Big reputation, but one has to deliver in the here and now.
Personally welcome the appointment and look forward to what is built both on and off the field.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by No6_Flanker »

sam16111986 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:29 pm Do we really need a kicking coach?
Depends if you think of kicking beyond placekicking. France have got Vlok Cilliers and have one of the best kicking games in the world. See Squidge’s recent video on the importance of kicking in the modern game.
Cheering on the Tigers in Detroit.
Previously a slower, shorter, less good looking version of Tom Croft.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

No6_Flanker wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:51 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:29 pm Do we really need a kicking coach?
Depends if you think of kicking beyond placekicking. France have got Vlok Cilliers and have one of the best kicking games in the world. See Squidge’s recent video on the importance of kicking in the modern game.
I'm aware but the kicking strategy tends to be part of the attack coaches remit because as Squidge shows in the video how you choose to kick is based around the outcome you want.

Now I might be wrong and a kicking coach would be useful, generally these guys focus on the mechanics and not the strategy, because we have some young guys coming through and want to fine tune their skill sets. I'd wait to see who the incoming attack and defence coaches are and what IP we have on the coaching team first though.