LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Aled Walters and the Philosopher's Stone

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Aled Walters and the Philosopher's Stone

Post by Tiglon »

Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:02 pm
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:58 pm Porter & Moroni always look like centres playing on the wing rather than wingers.
I wouldn't play Moroni anywhere but 13, he just shuts the outside channel down & probably means Nemani can go a yard wide to start with.
Going forward providing we have genuine pace on one wing we can cover the other with "Larger" wingers, the lack of another trusted pace option is a gap to fill (& not Ashton thank you unless he is in a tiny salary & I mean really small)
Genuine question. Other than his obvious past misdemeanours, what is it that people have against Ashton, given the commitment he has given to the shirt since signing
I'm guessing many perceive him to be arrogant (not entirely unusual in a rugby player). The fact that he played for Saracens is enough for some (how many players wouldn't, given the option?). Him receiving a loan from Saracens to help buy a house (or was it a shared ownership arrangement? Can't remember). Him leaving a couple of clubs mid season and mid contract, which makes people think he has an attitude problem (I've left 2 employers after less than a year and, trust me, it's not always the employee who is at fault). Pulling Tuilagi's hair - that was him, wasn't it?

Personally, he seems to have fitted into the squad well and appears to be showing the right attitude. His history is open to interpretation, and the truth behind most of the controversies will probably only ever be known by him and the other parties.

We've all made mistakes in the past and I'm happy to judge him on what he does at Tigers.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Aled Walters and the Philosopher's Stone

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:58 pm Porter & Moroni always look like centres playing on the wing rather than wingers.
I wouldn't play Moroni anywhere but 13, he just shuts the outside channel down & probably means Nemani can go a yard wide to start with.
Going forward providing we have genuine pace on one wing we can cover the other with "Larger" wingers, the lack of another trusted pace option is a gap to fill (& not Ashton thank you unless he is in a tiny salary & I mean really small)
Genuine question. Other than his obvious past misdemeanours, what is it that people have against Ashton, given the commitment he has given to the shirt since signing
I’m a little confused too.. I really like the dedication he has and the reaction of the players around him when he scored says what they think of him.. seems popular
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Does playing for that lot immediately south of us count as a misdemeanour!? :smt044
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

If Ashton can contribute positively to and aid Tigers renaissance then I have no issue with his exploits in a Stains jersey.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
LekkerTigers

Post by LekkerTigers »

Pretty sure Ashton would stay on for a pittance if it meant he could get a few games to break the try record.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Don’t get the problem with Ashton. He is arguably the best winger ever in the premiership and his running lines are unrivalled . Also his popularity with the other players suggests that his attitude is spot on.
A2O
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

LekkerTigers wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:46 pm Pretty sure Ashton would stay on for a pittance if it meant he could get a few games to break the try record.
That potentially is part of the issue for me.

Spend "X" on Ashton or "X" on 2, 3 or 4 younger players who might contribute for years.

The not looking longterm was a large part of what got us in the mess we were in.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

I think the ‘problem’ with Ashton is mainly from us, and due to him playing for two clubs we especially dislike!
As regards the X we are paying him, I doubt we could get 3 or 4 good prospects for that.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I've got no idea what Ashton is on, but I'm guessing it's not a big number.

It's great having promising youngsters, that's crucial, but you need the more experienced players at the club to help develop them too. The Wigglesworths, Ashtons, Greens etc aren't a barrier for young players developing at Tigers, quite the opposite.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:26 pm
LekkerTigers wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:46 pm Pretty sure Ashton would stay on for a pittance if it meant he could get a few games to break the try record.
That potentially is part of the issue for me.

Spend "X" on Ashton or "X" on 2, 3 or 4 younger players who might contribute for years.

The not looking longterm was a large part of what got us in the mess we were in.
It's not as simple as that though. Olowafela and a few others just aren't up to the required standard so who are the 2-4 youngsters that X could be spent on? I am all for academy lads coming through but we need a mix of experience, talented youngsters, marquee players and players that are willing to make up the squad numbers for a reasonable sum. Ashton falls in to the final category for me but comes with a huge amount of experience that the youngsters will be able to learn a lot from. A bit like Wigglesworth, I think this is a very smart move and he will bring the youngsters on I have no doubt. If we had ready made wingers who are potentially able to slot straight in I'm sure they would be being considered.. The likes of Browning will be in the mix soon I have no doubt but Ashton is a good addition to a squad that has an average age of early to mid 20's...
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

I had reservations when Ashton first signed, due to the way he'd left a few other clubs recently. Looked as though he might have an attitude problem.

That doesn't look to be the case now though so I'd be happy for him to be given a year extension if he's playing well and is ok not being first choice.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

I did not like Ashton before at all - total dislike - showoff monkey. BUT, since he has come here, I am rapidly gaining respect for him and looking forward to keeping him for at least one more year. However, I still don't want to see the "splash" for us, score your tries, and celebrate the Leicester way. Salute the crowd, thank your teammates, and enjoy the response. I know there will be those who are looking forward to the "splash" but I am not.
Hehehehehehehehe
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

ads wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:43 am I had reservations when Ashton first signed, due to the way he'd left a few other clubs recently. Looked as though he might have an attitude problem.

That doesn't look to be the case now though so I'd be happy for him to be given a year extension if he's playing well and is ok not being first choice.
Who knows. SB doesn't strike me as tolerating any kind of poor attitude. He does appear to value experience (I forget in which US sport a coach said something along the lines of 'the problem with rookies is they make rookie mistakes') and the fact that experienced players have come to Tigers recently, suggests a lot to admire and attract such players, which is good.
WildGoose
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by WildGoose »

I think for me, with Ashton, it’s just sample size. He’s been really disjointed over the last couple of seasons so if he gets back to his best then sure, it’s definitely a conversation with Potter.

But I felt Potter simply because he’s been a real find and is a brilliant counterpoint to Nadolo (like a cannon and a sniper rifle).

Then when considering who gets the number 23, it’s only that they can cover a few positions. If Moroni can cover wing, you might pick a different 23. Burns can *sort of* cover full back but not sure I like him there?

So for me it’s Youngs, Ford (or Burns?!), Nadolo, Kelly, Moroni, Potter, Freddie with JvP and probably Kini on the bench with the other 10.

But I suppose it also depends who we’re playing, might be a case for (eg) Saumaki, Ashton, Scott or even Porter - good depth at the moment hey?
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

I personally have always liked Ashton, particularly from the rugby point of view. I put him in a bracket with the likes of Nowell and Strettle. They’re not necessarily the quickest ( such as a Wade or a Varndell), but it’s more about the way they go looking for work and seem to just pop up in the right place at the right time. And if a little showmanship comes with it then fair enough - unless it’s against our team!

On the personal front I’ve listened to him a lot on the BBC rugby pod. He comes across as an affable, self-effacing kind of guy, but from what I can tell and from watching his team mates’ reactions on Saturday he seems to be very popular amongst his peers. I think he also speaks his mind - which is why he didn’t g down so well at a few clubs as he didn’t feel they were necessarily been run in the best way. But it seems he has found a home here and I’m happy about that….assuming the price is right!