LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Aled Walters and the Philosopher's Stone

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Aled Walters and the Philosopher's Stone

Post by Rugbygramps »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:20 am
LekkerTigers wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:11 pm I do think we need someone else in the squad who can play 15. Hegarty is not a bad second choice behind Steward, but he has been playing a lot of rugby as of late. It would be good to be able to occasionally rest him next season.
I think had Kini been fit he would have likely rotated with Hegarty a bit more.
When was Kini last selected at 15 in a premiership game ?
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Aled Walters and the Philosopher's Stone

Post by Tiglon »

Hegarty has played the last few games, but he's only appeared 8 times in the Premiership this season. He didn't start a Prem match until the end of January, so I reckon he's had plenty of rest this season.

But he does have a tackle success rate just over 50%, so it wouldn't hurt to be open to alternatives...
TigersUltra

Post by TigersUltra »

Regarding new signings incoming and how Gopperth has literally been confirmed by wasps to be joining us and chatted about on BT comms etc, do we expect the delay to be down to the club wanting to announce a few at once? Just seems bizarre we haven’t said a word on Gopperth when it’s out and open!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:16 am
LekkerTigers wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:11 pm I do think we need someone else in the squad who can play 15. Hegarty is not a bad second choice behind Steward, but he has been playing a lot of rugby as of late. It would be good to be able to occasionally rest him next season.
About a year ago away to Bristol.. end of Feb 21. We lost 17-3 but I remember that game well.. Hodnett was the TMO and yellow carded Moroni for a deliberate knock on despite him being really close to the player and the ball effectively being thrown into his already outstretched arm.. was a joke as the score during the 10 minute sin bin was 14-0 and during the other 70 minutes it was 3-3.. not the finest game.

Kini has started other games since then but on the wing. Kini is the perfect 23 for me. Can cover 11-15 (and 6!) and is fantastic over the ball which has been crucial for us a few times winning key turnovers in the red zone.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Tiglon wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:18 am Hegarty has played the last few games, but he's only appeared 8 times in the Premiership this season. He didn't start a Prem match until the end of January, so I reckon he's had plenty of rest this season.

But he does have a tackle success rate just over 50%, so it wouldn't hurt to be open to alternatives...
We need another fullback that can make tackles as with the Hegarty and Burns back up options we do not.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:36 am

About a year ago away to Bristol.. end of Feb 21. We lost 17-3 but I remember that game well.. Hodnett was the TMO and yellow carded Moroni for a deliberate knock on despite him being really close to the player and the ball effectively being thrown into his already outstretched arm.. was a joke as the score during the 10 minute sin bin was 14-0 and during the other 70 minutes it was 3-3.. not the finest game.

Kini has started other games since then but on the wing. Kini is the perfect 23 for me. Can cover 11-15 (and 6!) and is fantastic over the ball which has been crucial for us a few times winning key turnovers in the red zone.
Agree about perfect 23 and good starting winger too. The reason for my question was there are some posters who advocate him starting as a 15 in premiership game if Steward not available. Just can’t see it myself he likes to go a wandering which he can do as a winger not so much as 15. Thanks for the information though
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:45 am

Agree about perfect 23 and good starting winger too. The reason for my question was there are some posters who advocate him starting as a 15 in premiership game if Steward not available. Just can’t see it myself he likes to go a wandering which he can do as a winger not so much as 15. Thanks for the information though
Kini has also started both PRC games at 15 whilst also "suspected" of having been out injured for good chunks of this season.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:49 am

Kini has also started both PRC games at 15 whilst also "suspected" of having been out injured for good chunks of this season.
Not premiership though but fair point
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

He was signed as our starting fullback before Steward broke through.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Dokie wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:49 pm

He was signed as our starting fullback before Steward broke through.
Don’t remember that particular announcement but thanks for letting me know
WildGoose
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by WildGoose »

I look at the current options and unless Nadolo does indeed leave I don't think we need any new backs next season, assuming the juggling of all the centres gets sorted. A Moroni extension would be excellent but we do have a lot of talent in depth nowadays.

Out of interest, what do people think our "best" back three is, taking into account horses for courses etc? Personally I can't see past Steward, Nadolo and Potter (with Kini as 23, as suggested above!) but interested to see who else people would have in the mix.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

WildGoose wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:18 pm I look at the current options and unless Nadolo does indeed leave I don't think we need any new backs next season, assuming the juggling of all the centres gets sorted. A Moroni extension would be excellent but we do have a lot of talent in depth nowadays.

Out of interest, what do people think our "best" back three is, taking into account horses for courses etc? Personally I can't see past Steward, Nadolo and Potter (with Kini as 23, as suggested above!) but interested to see who else people would have in the mix.
Everyone fit and purring I would agree with you. I do sometimes think that when all 3 of Kelly Scott and Moroni are available, it would be nice to see them all on the pitch, which with Moroni international wing experience could be possible
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Yes,Nadolo,Potter and Steward for me too. MF I'm not sure,I like Kelly and Scott but Moroni is one of the worlds best defenders from the 13 position, plus Porters possibly my favourite player at present. Fantastic options to have!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Porter & Moroni always look like centres playing on the wing rather than wingers.
I wouldn't play Moroni anywhere but 13, he just shuts the outside channel down & probably means Nemani can go a yard wide to start with.
Going forward providing we have genuine pace on one wing we can cover the other with "Larger" wingers, the lack of another trusted pace option is a gap to fill (& not Ashton thank you unless he is in a tiny salary & I mean really small)
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:58 pm Porter & Moroni always look like centres playing on the wing rather than wingers.
I wouldn't play Moroni anywhere but 13, he just shuts the outside channel down & probably means Nemani can go a yard wide to start with.
Going forward providing we have genuine pace on one wing we can cover the other with "Larger" wingers, the lack of another trusted pace option is a gap to fill (& not Ashton thank you unless he is in a tiny salary & I mean really small)
Genuine question. Other than his obvious past misdemeanours, what is it that people have against Ashton, given the commitment he has given to the shirt since signing