Contenders for end of season awards?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Re: Contenders for end of season awards?

Post by Soggypitch »

I can't look past Wiese. He makes more difference to our team than any other player IMO. We need go forward in the pack to play effectively, and he does it better than anyone. Forwards win games, backs decide.........

Martin and Pollard in the other two cats for me.
Soggypitch
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

This has popped up on Instagram so wanted to share as I know not everyone sees it.

A table of total involvements, this being total of carries made plus tackles made.

Liebenberg - 362
Wiese - 296
Cracknell - 274
Martin - 266
Reffell - 213
Potter - 194
Wells - 193

Shows how important Liebenberg is to us. Cracknell and Martin both up despite limited appearances. Potter the only back, may be related to game time, but shows how much he is involved when on the paddock.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

I can't argue against any of the posts that are championing various players, but for me, one player stands out to me as being 8+ out of 10 every game, influential on and off of the field and does a lot of the seen and crucially, unseen work. No surprise to me that our change in fortunes came as he took over the captaincy. Montoya is our most important player I believe, I like the stand out players, Wiese, Reffell etc, but Julian is so influential. If it was a 2-horse race, LIebenburg would be up there with him. Another 8/10 every week, great in defence, link play and the go-to in the lineout. Montoya gets it for me though.
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

It is difficult to judge objectively as Julian tends to be very influential but also be in games were the other top players are included. Hanro and Harry Potter have worked away game in game out regardless of who is around them and tried to win, sometimes against the odds.
On balance the game changer for me is Jasper.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Player of the season could almost be shared between Jasper and Julian be they are jointly influential .. with special mention to the ever present Hanro.
If we’re sharing then most improved player would go to big Cam and Gorgeous George jointly.
Not sure how young is young? If it’s 21 we can’t forget, whatever our marginal reservations are, that JVP has made himself an England regular and indeed become Tigers number 1 . Amazing for one so young.
Newcomer has to be Mike Brown .. wow!
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

I've thrown together a shortlist for the inaugural awards for our Women's team: viewtopic.php?p=853829#p853829
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

westwinds31 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:34 pm I can't argue against any of the posts that are championing various players, but for me, one player stands out to me as being 8+ out of 10 every game, influential on and off of the field and does a lot of the seen and crucially, unseen work. No surprise to me that our change in fortunes came as he took over the captaincy. Montoya is our most important player I believe, I like the stand out players, Wiese, Reffell etc, but Julian is so influential. If it was a 2-horse race, LIebenburg would be up there with him. Another 8/10 every week, great in defence, link play and the go-to in the lineout. Montoya gets it for me though.
I'd go for Liebenberg. Does a lot of the "dog". The unseen stuff that's needed. He also played a lot games on the bounce when selection options were limited and player management opportunities were thin on the ground.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Qbec
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Qbec »

Can I just throw this into the chat, were it not for the efforts of one individual we would not now be in the position we are now of that I have no doubt whatsoever.
That of RW, he gave JM the captaincy, in support from HL(admitted he wasn't vocal enough) & BY, that created this team togetherness which is there for all to see no matter who is in the team for the day they are all of the same mind. The introduction of the matchday cams which show us the supporters how after each game how they all react,
The team group gathering at the end of each game all have the air of "We are Tigers together"
All of that was needed as JW said in an interview not long after SB & KS, He was angry & I am sure he wasnt the only player to feel that way.
So I would give an award to RW for the amount of work he & the other coaches have put in since Nov 2022, Not instead of the other awards but as well as.
Tigers The Home Of World Class Rugby

11th Premiership Rugby Champions 2022
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Big Dai wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:09 pm
westwinds31 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:34 pm I can't argue against any of the posts that are championing various players, but for me, one player stands out to me as being 8+ out of 10 every game, influential on and off of the field and does a lot of the seen and crucially, unseen work. No surprise to me that our change in fortunes came as he took over the captaincy. Montoya is our most important player I believe, I like the stand out players, Wiese, Reffell etc, but Julian is so influential. If it was a 2-horse race, LIebenburg would be up there with him. Another 8/10 every week, great in defence, link play and the go-to in the lineout. Montoya gets it for me though.
I'd go for Liebenberg. Does a lot of the "dog". The unseen stuff that's needed. He also played a lot games on the bounce when selection options were limited and player management opportunities were thin on the ground.
I can't counter that Big Dai - Hanro is a my kind of player.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Young player award goes to George Martin
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Foundation award to Ed Mowe
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

Qbec wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:42 am Can I just throw this into the chat, were it not for the efforts of one individual we would not now be in the position we are now of that I have no doubt whatsoever.
That of RW, he gave JM the captaincy, in support from HL(admitted he wasn't vocal enough) & BY, that created this team togetherness which is there for all to see no matter who is in the team for the day they are all of the same mind. The introduction of the matchday cams which show us the supporters how after each game how they all react,
The team group gathering at the end of each game all have the air of "We are Tigers together"
All of that was needed as JW said in an interview not long after SB & KS, He was angry & I am sure he wasnt the only player to feel that way.
So I would give an award to RW for the amount of work he & the other coaches have put in since Nov 2022, Not instead of the other awards but as well as.
Well said - he’s frequently been given flak on this forum, both as player and coach. Plenty were very unhappy when he was picked to start in the final last year, and he went on to deliver a game management master class. Then came the criticism that we wasn’t up to the job of coach - even as an interim. I think he’s been fabulous; I wish him well for next season and am sure he will have a long and successful career in coaching.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

I think George Martin has been outstanding this year ..I always thought he was a good number 6 and he has turned into a tremendous lock too in these recent games.
He is not 22 until June and if he has been awarded Young Player of the season then it is fully deserved. I think because he is such an established and valuable player in our squad we sometimes forget how young he is and how much potential development we have yet to see from him.
Defensively we are a weaker team when he doesn’t play and he is already becoming a greater threat in attack too.
Well done George
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://twitter.com/LeicesterTigers/sta ... ur3VA&s=19

George Martin has also won the players player of the year, so his teammates appreciate him!
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

I think that tells you everything you need to know about that young laddie!