British League

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kuzza
Super User
Super User

Post by kuzza »

Don't know if anyone recalls, but the Welsh were invited to join the English leagues, they said no.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

It'll never happen...but its a good debate....its pretty similar to how would Celtic and Rangers get on in the Premiership....I personally like the way it is....we can play the Welsh teams in the Heineken Cup, which turn out to be great matches and if we are playing them week in week out, we would lose that intensity after a while. On a personal note, I wouldn't travel away to watch Tigers play Ulster, Munster and Leinster....but will go to Worcester, Bristol and Gloucester.
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

I know a number of Welsh fans who would much rather their teams compete in an Anglo-Welsh GP than the Celtic League. The reality is that they probably want 'us' more than we need 'them'. However, it would destroy the season for the Irish and Scots.

One way and another, it will most likely never happen. However, I remain of the opinion that the celts would be competitive and provide a more entertaining brand of rugby than some GP teams.
Osprey in Leicester
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Osprey in Leicester »

kuzza wrote:Don't know if anyone recalls, but the Welsh were invited to join the English leagues, they said no.
It was only Swansea and Cardiff who were invited IIRC.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

To be fair, I think that Cardiff only can say that they have got one over the old enemy, as they beat a pretty full strength Wasps...Gloucester were below strength and Quins are on a bad run, so I don't read much into those results. I will be interested in how Ospreys get on at Sale in the Heineken and also Llanelli at Irish, that should give us an idea as to how the Welsh sides can compete. I must admit, Tigers at Cardiff is a potential banana skin, having seen them take Wasps apart.
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Welsh sides are a bit like Leicester; don't travel well but are tough at home. They got off to a good start in last year's Anglo-Welsh, as I remember, but their away form did for them (especially in the HEC).

I've always thought that Cardiff away will be tough; we underestimate the Welsh regions on this forum, IMO.
Starburst
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Starburst »

Having watched some of the games between the Tigers and LLanelli, Ponty and even the Osprey's over the years, I would never underestimate them. They are usually enteraining and very competitive games.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Ah! Now then, Hold on a minute butt, isn't it, boyo!

To be fair and tidy about things the English would have to compete as regions, not as clubs!

So that's Leicester, Saints and Wuss from the Midlands,
Glos, Barf and Brissol from the South West,
Newcastle and Sale from the North,
Irish, Wasps, Quins, Sarries, from London!

Or do the Tigers go back to playing Pontypool, Pontypridd, Newport, Swansea etc????

Those were the days!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
cal
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by cal »

The only way I could see this working was if it was structured like the southern hemesphire season, with the 'british league' being in the first part of the season, then when that finishes the teams going on to some sort of less-important guinness premiership? :?
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Big Dai

Please, never a return to English Divisional rugby ! Aside from 3 men and a dog, I don't know anyone who ever went to one of the old Divisional Championship games (not referring to the touring matches, of course).

I know an Ospreys fellow (not OiL) who insists that Tigers are a region, mind !
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

I think it's a great idea provided we don't allow sponsors and TV companies to create a massive financial gulf between the two divisions.

Cricket is doing OK with lots of promotion and relegation because neither event shatters a club's finance.

Whereas roundiball has created the farcical situation where clubs promoted and relegated between the Premier League and the Championship find themselves in a terrible financial straits.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!