Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Re: Dan Mckellar

Post by westwinds31 »

fentiger wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 10:22 am
fortysix wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 10:15 am As an ex Professional Sportsman, its blooming onbvious that the players are nowhere near the highest level of fitness. Way way off.

The first priority for next season is to get a Breast of a Fitness Coach in, and start immediately the season ends.

Its horrible running up steps , being timed, and being sick. I must have puked dozens of times on the steps above the Park in Nottingham. But its the only way..
Make it interesting :smt044
More chances of winning a (DD) Cup maybe ?
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 2:49 pm
Hot_Charlie wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 2:18 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 2:09 pm

It isn’t just Aled conditioning work either, it was that larger than life character that he brought to the team environment that hasn’t been replaced. Only need to watch some of the recent England videos to see the positive effect that has
This. Aled brought the squad to life. He wasn't a court jester but brought the ability - viewing from the outside - to bring a lighthearted nature to the coaching group and someone the players could lean on.

It all seems very coaching by process this season.
And I would add you can’t manufacture that personality it is something you either have or don’t, so not a criticism of current incumbents. 2 other examples for me would Scott Robinson and Dan Vickerman at Sarries
That is true. But then that is where you earn your money as a CEO/head of recruitment etc to ensure you have a balance of personalities across a group (be it coaches or players).
INTHESINBIN

Post by INTHESINBIN »

Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

INTHESINBIN wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 3:56 pm https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union ... lelwe9eyjo

BBC article from McKellar
OK. Fine words and a tangible promise: We won't be 8th next season. And if we are, or worse?
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

INTHESINBIN wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 3:56 pm https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union ... lelwe9eyjo

Sounds like he is blaming the season on fitness and his inexperience. He needs to learn his lessons and quickly this season has been very dissapointing.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

sapajo wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 4:27 pm

Sounds like he is blaming the season on fitness and his inexperience. He needs to learn his lessons and quickly this season has been very dissapointing.
I don't read it like this.

Lots of aspects were not his fault at all and he is man enough to take everything on the chin, which is very respectable. I think with a full set of decent coaches, a proper pre-season without a World Cup and fewer injuries, next season could be a lot better. But his next season must be better.
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

The thing with fitness is that all the weights and Wattbike sessions will be logged so the S&C staff should be able to compare results and see if objectively players are as fit. If they are then it is the yellow cards sapping energy and the GPS data will show that or it is the motivation which % missed tackles and time to get off the ground and into line should tell them. Tigers should know this and the in play stats will be known by the opposition. Is it now known by other teams that if you keep on going and Tigers will tire?
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

There is Gym fit & then there is Rugby fit.

It could also be a case of the way the week is structured before "3pm Saturday".
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Stephen18 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 6:26 pm There is Gym fit & then there is Rugby fit.

It could also be a case of the way the week is structured before "3pm Saturday".
I’m sure I remember reading once on here a comment from someone who said they watched the pre match warm up and that it seemed too intense and the players looked out on there feet before the game even started. Not sure how true that is as I’ve got to confess I’m usually at the bar pre match. But I wonder if that could have been causing some of the drop of at the 50/60 minute mark, as they came back from the break not fit enough then they got breasted to try and get it up and it got took to far and meant they had nothing left come match day.
Knightonian

Post by Knightonian »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union ... lelwe9eyjo

A really interesting article from Dan McKellar

In some ways reassuring that he knows it and he haven’t been good enough

I would have liked an accountable KPI for next year

He thinks that the fitness is the key bit of the drop off

Personally I think we need to improve and change the game plan as we don’t ever put the fear into oppositions - unlike when we play Quins, Sale, Sarries etc
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 6:26 pm There is Gym fit & then there is Rugby fit.

The think that has showcased this issue for me is the breaks...

Every time the squad have turned up having not played a match the week before they have looked off the pace.

That suggests non match week loadings are wrong.

Bristol away - 1st team were rested the week before vs Bedford.

Exeter away - 1st team rested away to Stade

Ealing away - first section of 6N with no game

Gloucester away in the PRC - 2nd section of 6N with no game

Saints away - no Champions Cup ¼

Sale away - no Champions Cup ½

The recent love of rugby pods said for the England guys it's 50 weeks ago they went away on the summer tour then world cup camps etc.

I think it's right we went too intense and didn't peak at the right time. Need a better baseline and consistent work through the season.

I think the likes of Youngs and Chessum will benefit from an off season too...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

You don't need an intense 1 hour warm up before a match.

Stretch, warm up, run through a few drills to get the handling right for the conditions. We have reverted to the Cockers era of an excessive warm up and making it a 2 hour 40 minute match.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

mol2 wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 9:53 pm You don't need an intense 1 hour warm up before a match.

Stretch, warm up, run through a few drills to get the handling right for the conditions. We have reverted to the Cockers era of an excessive warm up and making it a 2 hour 40 minute match.
Yes I was the one saying about our warm ups, we seem to flog them to death before the game, they go into the changing rooms, what then, do they go cold and stiffen up? Years ago I think before the match started they just went hell for leather in the changing room. Are we doing too much physical work and for too long out on the pitch before KO, I think we are!?
Practise ball handling skills but reduce physical stuff especially scrumaging.
Likewise what happens at half time, do they sit down and go cold? Should they revert to a 2 min break and a slice of orange out on the pitch?
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

LE18 wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 11:56 pm
mol2 wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 9:53 pm You don't need an intense 1 hour warm up before a match.

Yes I was the one saying about our warm ups, we seem to flog them to death before the game, they go into the changing rooms, what then, do they go cold and stiffen up? Years ago I think before the match started they just went hell for leather in the changing room. Are we doing too much physical work and for too long out on the pitch before KO, I think we are!?
Practise ball handling skills but reduce physical stuff especially scrumaging.
Likewise what happens at half time, do they sit down and go cold? Should they revert to a 2 min break and a slice of orange out on the pitch?
I have long thought the warm up too long and too intense.
Half-time orange is interesting; would there be a cigar and a glass of port at Christmas? My preferred option.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

I’ve always thought it odd, and this is coming from someone that’s never played competitive team sport, do elite players just forgot what was working before?

A massive focus when Aled and Steve can’t in was turning around our habit of going away in the final 20, they put it right but now we’re back to where we were. Even if McKellar and his team aren’t as good as Aled and Steve surely the players know how they over came it previously
Last edited by anz3001 on Fri May 17, 2024 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.