Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Re: Dan Mckellar

Post by westwinds31 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 9:39 am
westwinds31 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 11:21 pm Wow this is serious isn’t it !? After multiple comments on McKellar on multiple threads we now have a dedicated thread to lay into him ! Terrific!
I’m sure that was the OP intention but there are enough wise heads on here to look at the bigger picture.
As others have said in 12 months time there will be a clearer picture.
I'm also sure, but I personally am fed up with the negativity surrounding this. To summarise, we all want Tigers to win stuff and succeed and play a decent brand of rugby. We haven't achieved that, for many reasons, McKellar is ultimately responsible, regardless of the circumstances etc - we all hope we improve.

That's all that needs to be said in my opinion. And I'm conscious that I'm adding to something that I'm no longer interested in !
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Probably good that expectations are very low for next season.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Season was dead for me after the Brizzle game.
Looking forward to next season with hope and expectation.
Plenty of other rugby to be enjoyed
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Really should be an Aled Walters thread. I have ad nauseam pointed out that SB wasn't the loss, it was AW. Players who are megafit don't knock on, they reach those passes, hit those gaps, make those tackles etc., and win games in the last quarter. For various reasons we have become adept at losing, and missing that 1% - could I suggest 5% - fitness makes the difference.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

jgriffin wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 2:03 pm Really should be an Aled Walters thread. I have ad nauseam pointed out that SB wasn't the loss, it was AW. Players who are megafit don't knock on, they reach those passes, hit those gaps, make those tackles etc., and win games in the last quarter. For various reasons we have become adept at losing, and missing that 1% - could I suggest 5% - fitness makes the difference.
It isn’t just Aled conditioning work either, it was that larger than life character that he brought to the team environment that hasn’t been replaced. Only need to watch some of the recent England videos to see the positive effect that has
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 2:09 pm
jgriffin wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 2:03 pm Really should be an Aled Walters thread. I have ad nauseam pointed out that SB wasn't the loss, it was AW. Players who are megafit don't knock on, they reach those passes, hit those gaps, make those tackles etc., and win games in the last quarter. For various reasons we have become adept at losing, and missing that 1% - could I suggest 5% - fitness makes the difference.
It isn’t just Aled conditioning work either, it was that larger than life character that he brought to the team environment that hasn’t been replaced. Only need to watch some of the recent England videos to see the positive effect that has
This. Aled brought the squad to life. He wasn't a court jester but brought the ability - viewing from the outside - to bring a lighthearted nature to the coaching group and someone the players could lean on.

It all seems very coaching by process this season.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 2:18 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 2:09 pm
This. Aled brought the squad to life. He wasn't a court jester but brought the ability - viewing from the outside - to bring a lighthearted nature to the coaching group and someone the players could lean on.

It all seems very coaching by process this season.
And I would add you can’t manufacture that personality it is something you either have or don’t, so not a criticism of current incumbents. 2 other examples for me would Scott Robinson and Dan Vickerman at Sarries
Possibly a bigger discussion piece but are we losing the characters in the game, Burns or Marler for example, with players being conditioned at such an early stage in their career
TigerintheCatStand
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by TigerintheCatStand »

Ian Cant wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 9:37 pm We might have lots of international talent but the hugely talented Henderson has been out all season; JVP, Martin and Chessum also missing through injury.
Pollard has never hit anywhere near the heights of the World Cup but I’m not sure he’s ever been fully fit. Basset, Simmonds, Watson so unlucky with injuries.
Heyes too been out as has Montoya at crucial times.
What did we all think of Borthwick first and last half of a season: well not a lot: I saw some awful thrashings away at Sarries, home v Sale etc etc but we were patient with him.p as he had assembled some great coaches.
Dan has had to work without a backs coach which if Fordy had been around I’m sure he’d have taken over.
Next week v Exeter will be another extremely difficult game but it will be the work done in the Summer that will see a couple of new coaches coming in!
Exeter had a tough time last year but stuck with Baxter and look what he has done.
Dowson and Vesty have admitted it was the work of Boyd that set this season up.
I’m happy to get down to Welford Road next Saturday and cheer the Tigers on.
Oh yes, having travelled up to Sale over many seasons last night was the best I’ve seen us perform since 2018/when surprise surprise George Ford inspired us to an excellent win on a Saturday.
Good luck Dan and all at Tigers. We have no right to be top of the table but we expect to be. I ask any fans who doubt some of the players’ attitude or the coaches to watch again last nights game. Being there some of our tackling was immense from Pollard, Steward, JVP, Kelly, Scott, Martin and Carnduff.
The overthrowing at the line out needs sorting but Montoya, FTT and Vanes are much better throwing in!
Another problem is that with so many players injured training has been difficult because we’ve not had the quality to train with and against.
Keep The Faith.
The difference with Borthwick was week on week when we were losing you could see the improvement. The whole squad had a learning mindset and Borthwick used to repeat that mantra week in week out in interviews ad nauseam. We are showing no signs of a having a learning culture anymore
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

Very balanced review on the season under DMcKellar in the telegraph- could someone post it as it’s behind the paywall?
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Here's the article penned by Charles Richardson, who is one of the better rugby journos.

Leicester’s season has not been good enough but Dan McKellar needs more time
With a large churn in coaching staff and significant injuries, Leicester head coach has excuses for his side’s under-performance

Charles Richardson,
RUGBY REPORTER
13 May 2024 • 3:53pm