LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by Tiglon »

Tigers86asw wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 10:15 pm
johnthegriff wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 9:48 pm How many people are successful at interview for a job whilst employed elsewhere and while working their notice immediately start working for their new employer, are involved in interviewing and appointing staff even before their new contract starts. I would have thought that more unlikely when moving from one continent to another. Rugby is a relatively small world, I suggest that any subordinate staff appointed and existing staff retained was probably done by someone other than McKellar who probably had to find grounds to reject the club's choice rather than selecting his own people. Once in the job however he has more say.
Agreed. McKellar has made mistakes but I don’t think Dickens and Richardson are his ‘fault’ as it were. Time will tell next year when he has more of his own people around him.
Exactly that. I've been in a similar situation where I've accepted a role and, while working three months notice, been invited to play a part in the recruitment of a key manager. Even from 2 hours drive away it's really difficult, while still doing your current job, let alone from the other side of the world.

I'm sure DM was involved in the process to a degree, but it doesn't make them his people.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Dickens might have worked of course, the whole situation with him has been odd to put it mildly.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 9:09 am Dickens might have worked of course, the whole situation with him has been odd to put it mildly.
Odd? Disastrous is more appropriate!
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Watching Sarries play imagine if we had managed to secure Cinti and González as opposed to Bassett and Rogerson.

I honestly feel that the way other clubs capitalised on the 3 demised clubs players compared to us has been one of if not the biggest factor in the swing in a way.

Prob only 4 clubs didn't really capitalise much and only Sale are doing that well from those 4
Saints - Pearson, Munga, Langdon, Smith, Haffar all reagular 23 players
Sarries - Parton, Willis, Hoskins, Hartley, Cinti, Gonzalez
Bath - Lawrence, Alfie, Hill, Blackett,
Exeter - Feyi-Waboso, Fisilau, Frost,
Quins - Porter, CCS, Joesph
Bristol - BJVR, Oghre, Batley, Heward, Grondona,
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

RagingBull wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 11:38 am Watching Sarries play imagine if we had managed to secure Cinti and González as opposed to Bassett and Rogerson.

I honestly feel that the way other clubs capitalised on the 3 demised clubs players compared to us has been one of if not the biggest factor in the swing in a way.

Prob only 4 clubs didn't really capitalise much and only Sale are doing that well from those 4
Agreed and I think Geography played some part in this
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

RagingBull wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 11:38 am Watching Sarries play imagine if we had managed to secure Cinti and González as opposed to Bassett and Rogerson.

I guess my question would be, would Cinti and Gonzalez have made as big an impact fitting into Tigers "game plan" ? We'll never know, Hassell-Collins was tearing it up for Irish and seemed like a decent signing (and still could be) , but the lack of an attack has hindered him, resulting in a loss of confidence etc - same with Bassett, at Wasps he was on fire, multiple touches of the ball, in space, good footwork and powerful. Rogerson is more of a work horse, doing the unseen work.
INTHESINBIN

Post by INTHESINBIN »

I believe OHC was a done deal prior to the collapse of London Irish.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

INTHESINBIN wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 12:50 pm I believe OHC was a done deal prior to the collapse of London Irish.
Cool, but you get my drift.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

westwinds31 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 12:26 pm

I guess my question would be, would Cinti and Gonzalez have made as big an impact fitting into Tigers "game plan" ? We'll never know, Hassell-Collins was tearing it up for Irish and seemed like a decent signing (and still could be) , but the lack of an attack has hindered him, resulting in a loss of confidence etc - same with Bassett, at Wasps he was on fire, multiple touches of the ball, in space, good footwork and powerful. Rogerson is more of a work horse, doing the unseen work.
Bassett was always solid for Wasps, same as Rogerson.
We have too many "Solid" players IMO
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

RagingBull wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

It’s about that balance. Interesting Baxter comments about why he was selecting John over Hodge at the moment, and it boiled down where he’s still an exciting player he’s a bit more secure than Hodge
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

I think that is a good point but one I see slightly differently. In an ideal world you have excellent first choice players with solid back up an developing third choices. Our success in developing and attracting international talent has meant that we are too often left with the solid players are our first choice option. I am not sure how any team gets along with 3 front row, 2 second rows, a number 8, scrum half, fly half, a centre and a full back on international duty. Suddenly means you are putting out a good squad rather than an excellent one. Yes, I know clashes are less now but with rest and injury, we are still likely to have to put out those solid players in all but a handful of league matches.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

We need a centre, namely a 13, who possibly also covers wing.

Moroni is supposedly leaving Newcastle

Would people be opposed to a return?
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

GB72 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 1:02 pm

I think that is a good point but one I see slightly differently. In an ideal world you have excellent first choice players with solid back up an developing third choices. Our success in developing and attracting international talent has meant that we are too often left with the solid players are our first choice option. I am not sure how any team gets along with 3 front row, 2 second rows, a number 8, scrum half, fly half, a centre and a full back on international duty. Suddenly means you are putting out a good squad rather than an excellent one. Yes, I know clashes are less now but with rest and injury, we are still likely to have to put out those solid players in all but a handful of league matches.
I feel that some positions you def need a solid option behind the first choice
Front row
Lock
Fly half
Outside centre
Full back

But the successful teams sacrifice depth and trust the youth more in favour of more quality in depth elsewhere

Back row is a massive one a lot of teams have more top end quality in compared to us.
Centres is another example

we have far too much money spent on the back 3 I feel. I also feel that Scrum half has gotten too heavy loaded with JVP, Youngs, Whiteley when you compare to say Bath, Saints, Sarries and even Quine
SETiger
Tiger Cub

Post by SETiger »

GB72 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 1:02 pm

I can't get away from the Saracens comparison. They made similar World Cup and 6N contributions. It's possible our absences were in combinations of players that were particularly impactful. Did Sarries ever lose both Jamie George and Theo Dan at the same time? Did we just get unlucky? Did Sarries simply benefit from a very well established coaching team and playing philosophy?

With the injuries and rest periods, it felt like the 6N break was no break at all for us. Sarries just dropped their England players straight back in, I believe. We expected our non-England players to benefit from a 6-week break and come out of it with a well-drilled game plan.

I'd love to know if our squad-building for next season has been done on the assumption that we will or will not have another extended break during the 6N. Or maybe working around that assumption is just too difficult.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 1:00 pm

It’s about that balance. Interesting Baxter comments about why he was selecting John over Hodge at the moment, and it boiled down where he’s still an exciting player he’s a bit more secure than Hodge
Solid even !