LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - Crocodile McKeller: Men at Work

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - Crocodile McKeller: Men at Work

Post by GB72 »

I think that the next few weeks will be telling for Cokanasiga. He could not have done much more in the semi final and so whether he appears more in the next few matches will be telling as to whether he has a future.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

GB72 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:18 pm I think that the next few weeks will be telling for Cokanasiga. He could not have done much more in the semi final and so whether he appears more in the next few matches will be telling as to whether he has a future.
Barring injuries he may appear in the final, but you could see a case for centres of Kelly and Scott, if for instance Bassett is fit for the final. IMO Mckellar will want to give as many of the premiership side a run as possible in the final. Gloucester certainly will as they are out of the premiership playoff race so their season is this and the challenge cup
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:55 pm Nice seeing in the press release that Henderson seems like he is staying for a while, worry was Scotland might chase him so would rather Carmichael.

Gatto and de Bruin for Cronin and Van Wyk would help make up the lose of Wiese in some I feel.
Can't get a like for like for Jasper but the sum of the pack can help negate it.

I feel that
Cronin, Van Wyk, Richardson, Carter, Rogerson (Who I like but he isn't the type of 7 and 8 we need), Wilkinson, Cokanasiga will be off and that Porter and Watson def have question marks.
If you are right and we release that many players in addition to Wiese it would certainly free up a big wedge of money especially with the cap going up by £1.4 M which would give us the ability to bring in 4 or 5 good quality replacements.
A2O
LekkerTigers

Post by LekkerTigers »

Gallo extends his stay with Benetton until 2027
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

Looking at things like EQP places we could do to swap a semi-regular foreigner for a semi-regular EQP player since we've had our cards marked that Hurd will become Scottish & that Henderson got his Scotland cap in the summer.

Francois Van Wyk is an EQP, so I think swapping him for a foreign player is a real non-starter. He could be replaced by a West or a Goodrick-Clarke, but not a De Bruin.

Losing Powell & not replacing him will see a few more EQP slots used, and another obvious one is releasing Carter to be replaced by L.Chessum/Carnduff/Manz getting chances.

Just something that's got to be considered. No good saying "replace Van Wyk, Porter, Watson, Rogerson with De Bruin, Moroni, generic Fijian winger, generic SA forward" because we'd really struggle to hit out 15 average like that.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I understand the balance.

We will see on Hurd I don't think he will get a chance to get capped again for a little while. I also wonder if he does get capped if he will be lured to Edinburgh or Glasgow as has been suggested.
I feel once he gets capped I don't see the club keeping him long term either. Alo would be a good potential replacement for Hurd if that was the case especially in terms of EQP. Not just because of the EQP but if Borthwick keeps picking Cole I do not want to be in the position of losing 3 TH's in a season

I personally don't think Porter is off, but with rumours it's certainly a maybe.
Rogerson isn't a case of replacing imo it's more a case of promoting Ilione properly and am slightly worried why McKeller isn't playing him.

Like for example I would say currently
New LH for Cronin
LDB for FVW
Alo for Hurd
Carnduff, Ilione, Chessum for Carter and Rogerson
New number 8 for Wiese

Depending on the Number 8 and Loosehead we could be up or on par with the current EQP numbers.

What's Chandler Cunningham-South deal with Quins was that announced as a long term contract? would help massively if we could get a English talent like him to grow into Wiese role.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

I wonder how far Hoyt is from pushing into the main squad. Thought he did well when he came on at the weekend, admittedly against their replacement prop, and he certainly looks a unit
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:25 pm I wonder how far Hoyt is from pushing into the main squad. Thought he did well when he came on at the weekend, admittedly against their replacement prop, and he certainly looks a unit
Prob needs to stay fit, hopefully if he can stay fit and play the rest of the season for Lions and then back to Nottingham by the time the AI's come he might be pushing for a senior spot. Certainly after some game time I see him taking Richardson's spot.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

CCS seems to have made some big strides over the last 12 months, he is the subject of the latest wear the rose, wasn’t aware he had been in New Zealand between the ages 4 and 18.
Quins playing him at 6 because of Dombrant, so a move to 8 could be of interest to him
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:19 pm I understand the balance.

We will see on Hurd I don't think he will get a chance to get capped again for a little while. I also wonder if he does get capped if he will be lured to Edinburgh or Glasgow as has been suggested.
I feel once he gets capped I don't see the club keeping him long term either. Alo would be a good potential replacement for Hurd if that was the case especially in terms of EQP. Not just because of the EQP but if Borthwick keeps picking Cole I do not want to be in the position of losing 3 TH's in a season

I personally don't think Porter is off, but with rumours it's certainly a maybe.
Rogerson isn't a case of replacing imo it's more a case of promoting Ilione properly and am slightly worried why McKeller isn't playing him.

New LH for Cronin
LDB for FVW
Alo for Hurd
New number 8 for Wiese

Depending on the Number 8 and Loosehead we could be up or on par with the current EQP numbers.

What's Chandler Cunningham-South deal with Quins was that announced as a long term contract? would help massively if we could get a English talent like him to grow into Wiese role.
Given Hurd is a local Leicester lad I would put him as a high priority to retain even if he does throw his lot in with Scotland, and the Scots aren't that bothered about where the players actually play usually. Presuming his injury isn't serious even with Townsend's tombola selection policy he'll get a chance sooner rather than later.

I'd err on keeping more players as we've had too much churn again. You have to work on keeping that down & it does reep dividends. I really hate one contract and done signings, the aim should be to keep most players for 5 to 6 years.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

sk 88 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:38 pm
RagingBull wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:19 pm I understand the balance.

New LH for Cronin
LDB for FVW
Alo for Hurd
New number 8 for Wiese

Given Hurd is a local Leicester lad I would put him as a high priority to retain even if he does throw his lot in with Scotland, and the Scots aren't that bothered about where the players actually play usually. Presuming his injury isn't serious even with Townsend's tombola selection policy he'll get a chance sooner rather than later.

I'd err on keeping more players as we've had too much churn again. You have to work on keeping that down & it does reep dividends. I really hate one contract and done signings, the aim should be to keep most players for 5 to 6 years.
Whilst I don't disagree on Hurd, and tbf he is pushing Heyes a lot this season. I feel it's becoming hard to plan if Borthwick keeps on cuddling the safety of Cole. If Cole can actually retire from English rugby I would certainly keep Hurd. I don't see him getting capped till next year's six nations now though which should help for now.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:37 pm CCS seems to have made some big strides over the last 12 months, he is the subject of the latest wear the rose, wasn’t aware he had been in New Zealand between the ages 4 and 18.
Quins playing him at 6 because of Dombrant, so a move to 8 could be of interest to him
Unless it's recently been announced and I've missed it, CCS is only contracted to Quins until the end of the season. Quins might have a bit of money to play with if they lose Esterhuizen and Green, but I'd hope he was on our radar as a Weise replacement; you can't really train genes.

Alternatively he might be happy with life in SW London. And he's still only 20! I think a lot might also rest on the contracts of their other back-rowers as he could have been very cheap this year as he needed a job!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

I may be completely mistaken, wouldn’t be the first time, but listening to a lot of what Coley is saying on his podcast I think he is getting ready to hang his boots up certainly at international level.
He obviously misses his sons greatly when away with England, and the tole of what is nearly 450 first class games across his career is having an increased effect on his body.
Tales of being in too much pain to sleep after a test match and waking up in the morning to find your ear has stuck to your pillow must have an effect
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:03 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:37 pm CCS seems to have made some big strides over the last 12 months, he is the subject of the latest wear the rose, wasn’t aware he had been in New Zealand between the ages 4 and 18.
Unless it's recently been announced and I've missed it, CCS is only contracted to Quins until the end of the season. Quins might have a bit of money to play with if they lose Esterhuizen and Green, but I'd hope he was on our radar as a Weise replacement; you can't really train genes.

Alternatively he might be happy with life in SW London. And he's still only 20! I think a lot might also rest on the contracts of their other back-rowers as he could have been very cheap this year as he needed a job!
Do you mean Lynagh or have I missed a rumour?
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

sam16111986 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:50 am
Hot_Charlie wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:03 pm

Do you mean Lynagh or have I missed a rumour?
Before the Lynagh move and the Esterhuizen speculation started it was also rumoured that there were parties looking to take Green back to South Africa with the lure of potential Boks selection.