Tigers v La Rochelle (A) - Champions Cup - Sunday 14th January 2024 - KO - 3-15pm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sapajo
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v La Rochelle (A) - Champions Cup - Sunday 14th January 2024 - KO - 3-15pm

Post by sapajo »

Darc Tiger wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:30 pm Has there been any word on the status of our attack coach? I presume it's something personal. We're making do with Smithy, and there not much we can do about it, but you have to think it's not a winning formula.
Well no man is irreplaceable
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Yorkietiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: Tigers v La Rochelle (A) - Champions Cup - Sunday 14th January 2024 - KO - 3-15pm

Post by Yorkietiger »

I have every sympathy for whatever personal issue is keeping Alan Dickens on leave of absence. But that lack of a backs and attack coach is killing us. I wish today was a one off, but sadly it is not.

Our attack is lack lustre, yes we can maul and the forwards can do their stuff close to the line, but when was the last time we saw stellar back play, spreading the play, stretching defences and scoring tries?

We are sluggish, predictable and lacking in imagination. We cannot pass the ball, our handling is poor, so many balls coughed up or knocked on. We have good players so for me it has to be lack of coaching. So either we need Alan back in, or we need to engage someone else until his issues are resolved.
nicmattyg
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by nicmattyg »

What we’d give for Sam Vesty to come back to us right now……
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Agreed it's a ludicrous situation it needs sorting and now
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

nicmattyg wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:40 pm What we’d give for Sam Vesty to come back to us right now……
That train has long gone and frankly our club has not and still does not consider a top attack coach as important
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Brace as a "Sir" has been hopeless for as long as I have seen him, he picks a side then refs the other off the park.

The obsession with quoting Tigers DNA as forward dominance is just boring now...it wasn't the Tigers I started watching.

As for Vesty he has the right sort of Tigers DNA (3rd generation) but we let him go, why would he come back now for anything less than the top job. The last competent attack coach we had was Mauger.

Some of this lack of attacking ability lies at Borthwicks door he was (& arguably isn't) interested in a rounded 15 man game.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Hey,look,La Rochelle more than a half decent side..
Yes there are were issues,but this is far from the end of the world.Learn and improve.No time for castigation or recriminations...
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

kk20gb30 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:50 pm Hey,look,La Rochelle more than a half decent side..
Yes there are were issues,but this is far from the end of the world.Learn and improve.No time for castigation or recriminations...
A heavy loss was always a distinct possibility, but we shouldn't ignore the glaring red flags.
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:49 pm Brace as a "Sir" has been hopeless for as long as I have seen him, he picks a side then refs the other off the park.

The obsession with quoting Tigers DNA as forward dominance is just boring now...it wasn't the Tigers I started watching.

As for Vesty he has the right sort of Tigers DNA (3rd generation) but we let him go, why would he come back now for anything less than the top job. The last competent attack coach we had was Mauger.

Some of this lack of attacking ability lies at Borthwicks door he was (& arguably isn't) interested in a rounded 15 man game.
Our forwards mean we get chances but we need so many to score. It means that we are woefully inefficient in the red zone. We can’t take opportunities. Furthermore it means we cannot adapt to how we want to play. Against some sides, like maybe La Rochelle, who have a monster pack, perhaps we should spread the ball more and move them around. We are a million miles from being able to do that.

Our basics of catch and pass are dire.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

I hadn't been expecting that!
Few supporters would have expected a win against such a powerful side, but the ease in which they were pushed aside was embarassing.
Even a far from full strength Leinster side will probably have too much for them next week.
Sad innit?
Semper in excretia
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

We had enough territory and pressure to be in the fight. Just little capacity to do enough with it. Once the errors started following errors, the snowball effect was unstoppable.
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

The minute or two either side of half time killed the game - going in 14-7 would have been different.

Then at 28-7 getting them down to 13 and Pollard kicking dead, followed by Hatherall (I think) dropping a catch when we had a 3 on 1, followed by Mike Brown knocking on cost us 90m and the ball and LR go and score keeping it in the tight.

Realistically if Pollard finds touch; it’s a 28-14 game with 6 or 7 minutes left of 13men at which point you’d push for a 3rd try and it’s a one score game.

Having got to that point of pressure to just make 3 elementary mistakes one after another was awful
Last edited by DeadlyDunc on Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

On a positive , Tigers did not concede the Try bonus point before half time…..unlike Saracens!
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Managing expectations I think, we are in our first season with this set of coaches and players and you think we are going to turn over back to back Champions of Europe in their own back yard? I always hope we will win, but I have a realistic head after over 60 years of following the club, we need patience, our past history will show things don't happen just like that, this squad of people have to be given support as they strive forward, this ain't soccer with knee jerk sackings, we are bigger than that.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Nofrontteeth
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nofrontteeth »

Wrong thread I know but UBB 24 (Bonus) Sarries 3 @ 35mins. Sounds familiar?