LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - Crocodile McKeller: Men at Work

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

PAW2
Tiger Cub

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - Crocodile McKeller: Men at Work

Post by PAW2 »

Lutontiger wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:55 pm Wouldn’t want Matt Scott to leave. He’s a good player and has a positive effect on those around him.

Agreed. He makes a significant difference when he plays and whilst we have 4 very capable centres (Scott, Kelly, Kata, Porter), we have seen thsi year you are only 2 x absences away from being threadbare.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

PAW2 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:40 pm
Lutontiger wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:55 pm Wouldn’t want Matt Scott to leave. He’s a good player and has a positive effect on those around him.

Agreed. He makes a significant difference when he plays and whilst we have 4 very capable centres (Scott, Kelly, Kata, Porter), we have seen thsi year you are only 2 x absences away from being threadbare.
Scott leaving would we assume be to allow the Fijian international captain that's been (tenuously) linked with us to come in.
AViewFromLe2

Post by AViewFromLe2 »

sam16111986 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:28 pm

Scott leaving would we assume be to allow the Fijian international captain that's been (tenuously) linked with us to come in.
Heard a whisper on the grapevine that we are looking to sign a 13 for next season. Personally think that can be filled by letting Phil C leave and using the uplift in salary cap to fund a decent level 13. Phil C just has not played in the two years he has been here so it makes sense to let him go. I would offer an olive branch out to Moroni personally - i know he wasn't happy with how he left, so it would be unlikely, but I would be back in touch with him to find out.

On a separate topic, i had a look over the press release for Tom West signing for Sarries last season. It very much comes across like it was only a one year deal. I wonder if there is an opportunity to go back in for him? He's had a tough season at Sarries but was brilliant for us here and proved himself to be a decent scrummager. I'd be interested in making that move if he is available.
Link is here, see what you think about the wording - https://saracens.com/tom-west-signs-for-saracens/
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

AViewFromLe2 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:31 pm

Heard a whisper on the grapevine that we are looking to sign a 13 for next season. Personally think that can be filled by letting Phil C leave and using the uplift in salary cap to fund a decent level 13. Phil C just has not played in the two years he has been here so it makes sense to let him go. I would offer an olive branch out to Moroni personally - i know he wasn't happy with how he left, so it would be unlikely, but I would be back in touch with him to find out.

On a separate topic, i had a look over the press release for Tom West signing for Sarries last season. It very much comes across like it was only a one year deal. I wonder if there is an opportunity to go back in for him? He's had a tough season at Sarries but was brilliant for us here and proved himself to be a decent scrummager. I'd be interested in making that move if he is available.
Link is here, see what you think about the wording - https://saracens.com/tom-west-signs-for-saracens/
Re. West, I'd definitely be interested in him coming back...

Some of the comments on Twitter (twitter link below) suggesting that Brantingham is going to Sarries and some comments have West as one who may be departing.

I'd have him back with open arms, with Van Wyk almost certainly out of contract and Cronin possibly out of contract he would be a great pick-up IMO

https://twitter.com/TightFive_Rugby/sta ... AiS6A&s=19
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Not sure I agree on the West wording. I think most announcements are phrased like that. Doesn't mean he isn't on a one year deal, but I don't think the press release is implying that he is.

I'd be very happy to have West and Moroni back though, Moroni in particular who I'd take over Nayacelevu and most other realistically attainable 13's I can think of.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Or it could mean that either Scott or Porter is leaving
A2O
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I wouldn’t take Moroni over Nayacalevu. Think Moroni is on the way down down ,once great but he’s not that player anymore for me. And I know Waisea is 33 but he still looks world class at times
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
AViewFromLe2

Post by AViewFromLe2 »

ay2oh wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:40 pm

I just think Phil C is ahead of the queue in terms of exits, as he's just not played ever since he got here. McKellar played Scott as soon as he became fit again, and has been a regular since arriving in 2020. Porter played every week until he got injured under McKellar. Does not mean they won't leave but Phil C feels like he's going to be first out of the door at centre before those two.
AViewFromLe2

Post by AViewFromLe2 »

Tiglon wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:39 pm

Not sure I agree on the West wording. I think most announcements are phrased like that. Doesn't mean he isn't on a one year deal, but I don't think the press release is implying that he is.

I'd be very happy to have West and Moroni back though, Moroni in particular who I'd take over Nayacelevu and most other realistically attainable 13's I can think of.
Fair enough - it just seemed so specific for 23/24 season that got me wondering. I am reluctant to go back for players, but those two were so good that i would be happy to make the exception for them.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Possibly our recollections of Moroni are a little clouded. He will be 33 at the end of the season, was not a regular starter during the World Cup and doesn’t always start for Falcons.
IMO he wouldn’t be an upgrade on any of existing 4 senior centres.

There have been some successful moves from wing to centre recently, could we consider maybe moving OHC. Inside one ?
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

AViewFromLe2 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:52 pm
ay2oh wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:40 pm

I just think Phil C is ahead of the queue in terms of exits, as he's just not played ever since he got here. McKellar played Scott as soon as he became fit again, and has been a regular since arriving in 2020. Porter played every week until he got injured under McKellar. Does not mean they won't leave but Phil C feels like he's going to be first out of the door at centre before those two.
Agree with you but maybe if we are after a top notch 13 maybe we need to let 2 go to free up the funds. I know the cap is going up but that doesn’t mean we’ll spend up to it.
A2O
AViewFromLe2

Post by AViewFromLe2 »

ay2oh wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:00 pm
ay2oh wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:40 pm Or it could mean that either Scott or Porter is leaving
Agree with you but maybe if we are after a top notch 13 maybe we need to let 2 go to free up the funds. I know the cap is going up but that doesn’t mean we’ll spend up to it.
Given how attritional the position is, i think we need 5 centres in the senior squad. If we let two go, we'd still have to bring in two to replace, otherwise we could be left short. I agree that I don't think we will spend up until the new cap, but there is £1m extra to play with. I can't see us using all of that £1m, but i am fairly sure we will use a proportion of it all the same.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

AViewFromLe2 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:07 pm
ay2oh wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:00 pm

Given how attritional the position is, i think we need 5 centres in the senior squad. If we let two go, we'd still have to bring in two to replace, otherwise we could be left short. I agree that I don't think we will spend up until the new cap, but there is £1m extra to play with. I can't see us using all of that £1m, but i am fairly sure we will use a proportion of it all the same.
I await with bated breath to see who we let go and who we sign
A2O
AViewFromLe2

Post by AViewFromLe2 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:54 pm Possibly our recollections of Moroni are a little clouded. He will be 33 at the end of the season, was not a regular starter during the World Cup and doesn’t always start for Falcons.

There have been some successful moves from wing to centre recently, could we consider maybe moving OHC. Inside one ?
I wouldn't say Nayacalevu is ahead of Porter or Scott though either. I personally don't see there being much difference Moroni and Nayacalevu either, both are similar age after all. Whenever Falcons have played well in the last two years, more often than not, Moroni has been at the heart of it and his try saving tackle in the WC against Wales was a beauty.

I wouldn't be moving OHC either, he is the best finisher in the club. Wing is by far his best position. Ollie Thorley would be a better bet if we wanted a wing/centre option IMO.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

AViewFromLe2 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:11 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:54 pm Possibly our recollections of Moroni are a little clouded. He will be 33 at the end of the season, was not a regular starter during the World Cup and doesn’t always start for Falcons.

I wouldn't say Nayacalevu is ahead of Porter or Scott though either. I personally don't see there being much difference Moroni and Nayacalevu either, both are similar age after all. Whenever Falcons have played well in the last two years, more often than not, Moroni has been at the heart of it and his try saving tackle in the WC against Wales was a beauty.

I wouldn't be moving OHC either, he is the best finisher in the club. Wing is by far his best position. Ollie Thorley would be a better bet if we wanted a wing/centre option IMO.
Agree Thorley is a cracking player
A2O