Tigers v Bristol (A) - Premiership - Friday 13th October 2023 - KO:19:45

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Bristol (A) - Premiership - Friday 13th October 2023 - KO:19:45

Post by Big Dai »

Casting my mind back....a long time...I recall a game at the Gardens. Half the team away at the world cup. Tigers in a dark blue away kit with a red band round the middle. Next was the sponsor. Ben Kay on debut. We got mullered.

I think we won the league that year.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Bptiger25
Tiger Cub

Post by Bptiger25 »

Well if that’s our backup team we are in big trouble, they looked like they had never met each other before , defence in the 1st 20 min was terrible, the two new wingers were terrible, Powell and Atkinson should never get another start , the replacements were much better than the starting side , the bears line speed killed us , and our kicking game is useless , hope the troops come back ready to play because we can’t win putting that team on the park , but the coach has to cope lots of the blame because they had no plan , just my take on our new season, POOR
Lutontiger

Post by Lutontiger »

Thanks Big Dai for giving us a way to look on tonight positively! I’m disappointed with Atkinson and Powell - they seemed to be shaping up well early on. I wonder if their confidence and/or their natural way of playing has been affected by someone/something?
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

Bptiger25 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:47 pm Well if that’s our backup team we are in big trouble, they looked like they had never met each other before , defence in the 1st 20 min was terrible, the two new wingers were terrible, Powell and Atkinson should never get another start , the replacements were much better than the starting side , the bears line speed killed us , and our kicking game is useless , hope the troops come back ready to play because we can’t win putting that team on the park , but the coach has to cope lots of the blame because they had no plan , just my take on our new season, POOR
Can’t help but think this is a bit of an overreaction.

OHC and Bassett looked hungry when they got their shot - although limited ball. Bassett almost got an interception, dropped a chance in the opening 10 but was good on the kick chase and defence. OHC didn’t get any ball bar one miss pass from Atkinson where he stepped inside nicely and recycled the ball. He came looking for work but wasn’t given the opportunity.

Powell looked nervous and poor - though part won’t be helped by the pack being second best in the first 40. Atkinson again looked nervous and won’t look good behind a pack that’s being bullied. Also think Atkinson thrives off a second playmaker so think he will look better with someone like Shillcock at 15 for example.

It’s the first game, away from home whilst missing a lot of key frontline players. Yes the guys on show tonight have to be better, but the fight to comeback and stop Bristol from getting a BP was encouraging.

Still a long way to go yet.
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

Very disappointed …travelled down to Bristol ..shallow and hallow and that’s why we were too ….hopefully a glip as I liked what I saw and heard preseason
speedski
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by speedski »

I think the bit that grates most is that it was clear 20 mins in our tactics for the game weren’t working - we should have taken a strong decision early.

Instead we persevered for a further 35 mins continuing to beat a poor plan to death.

It’s by no means a time to say bad appointments etc - but for me the crew in the stands were worrying slow to see what was inevitable and swap out players not working out on the night.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Having slept on it, I think for me it was the contrast with the quality and style of play in the earlier games this season, albeit against lower quality sides. Much more box kicking from Tigers, perhaps due to the pressure up front. But Bristol's game plan was clearly to kick to try to pin us in our own half and pounce on any mistakes.
Rather than blame individuals, I think we just never got into any rhythm in the first 40, and looked rusty. Powell and Atkinson looked fine in open play against Newcastle for example. Both looked a bit nervy last night, but so did much of the team.
Although I'd given up watching by then, there seemed to be a fight back in the second half, so a response, if a bit slow in coming. I'd be interested in knowing whether the players have more autonomy on the pitch under McKellar compared to previously.
It's a poor start, but there has to be a significant response otherwise other teams will try to emulate Bristol's style against us...and it will be a long season. We have the quality players.
YoWaGoWan
Tiger Cub

Post by YoWaGoWan »

That first half was reminiscent of the Geordan (no plan) Murphy days,to say awful does'nt come close,second half with subs big improvement.
There was however one massive plus for me,no Austin (me me) Healey.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

YoWaGoWan wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:13 am That first half was reminiscent of the Geordan (no plan) Murphy days,to say awful does'nt come close,second half with subs big improvement.
There was however one massive plus for me,no Austin (me me) Healey.
Nice to have been spared Ben Kay
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Big Dai wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:43 pm Casting my mind back....a long time...I recall a game at the Gardens. Half the team away at the world cup. Tigers in a dark blue away kit with a red band round the middle. Next was the sponsor. Ben Kay on debut. We got mullered.

I think we won the league that year.
To be fair, I'd wager (without looking at the stats) we've lost the first the first game of the season more often than not since the Prem was introduced. We also seem to have had more away games as our first fixture.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

I am a great fan of Atkinson and Powell but I am beginning to get concerned that despite their great performances in the Prem Cup that they shall both struggle in the Premiership.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

RunTigerRun wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:59 pm
Bptiger25 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:47 pm Well if that’s our backup team we are in big trouble, they looked like they had never met each other before , defence in the 1st 20 min was terrible, the two new wingers were terrible, Powell and Atkinson should never get another start...
Can’t help but think this is a bit of an overreaction.

OHC and Bassett looked hungry when they got their shot - although limited ball. Bassett almost got an interception, dropped a chance in the opening 10 but was good on the kick chase and defence. OHC didn’t get any ball bar one miss pass from Atkinson where he stepped inside nicely and recycled the ball. He came looking for work but wasn’t given the opportunity.

Powell looked nervous and poor - though part won’t be helped by the pack being second best in the first 40. Atkinson again looked nervous and won’t look good behind a pack that’s being bullied. Also think Atkinson thrives off a second playmaker so think he will look better with someone like Shillcock at 15 for example.

It’s the first game, away from home whilst missing a lot of key frontline players. Yes the guys on show tonight have to be better, but the fight to comeback and stop Bristol from getting a BP was encouraging.

Still a long way to go yet.
Agree. Bassett's main failing was just dropping the ball! Apart from that there wasn't any quality ball for the wingers and most of the team looked a bit off.

Powell looked like he struggled at times, and I wonder if his lack of a decent box kick (suddenly the value Tigers put on the box kick is apparent when you have a player who can only box-kick high or long, but not both) is heaping far more pressure on Atkinson, particularly with no other natural kicker in the backline. On the plus side, Whiteley looked better and we still have YBY and JVP to return. Shillcock will prove invaluable; I didn't think we'd see much of him at 10, but I've changed my mind!
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Very disappointed with the result but it is one game. Could have Tommy back next week(hopefully as I want Wales to lose) and a possibility of Martin and Youngs who haven’t featured much for England + small chance of Wiese and Pollard if SA lose to France. Feel a bit sorry for Atkinson playing behind a pack that didn’t perform. He will come good but hope it hasn’t destroyed his confidence. Expect Dan to put an arm around him . To all of you who love to criticise give the team a chance to develop and get behind them as getting on their backs does no one any good.
A2O
Grannyman

Post by Grannyman »

Whether it was a B team or not, once again we turn up without any backs moves. At least we won the second half.
tripeandonions
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by tripeandonions »

Tigerbeat wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:37 pm Was there a TMO at Ashton Gate? :smt003
No, Austin Healey wasn't on duty :smt002