LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - Crocodile McKeller: Men at Work

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - Crocodile McKeller: Men at Work

Post by jgriffin »

5'10" big? I'm a stocky 5'9 and as my wife said at the time, about the same size as the late, great, Rabeni's leg.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

jgriffin wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:01 am 5'10" big? I'm a stocky 5'9 and as my wife said at the time, about the same size as the late, great, Rabeni's leg.
It’s more the 16 and half stone of muscle in a 5 ft 10 frame, I’d say that’s big enough
Richardfje

Post by Richardfje »

Ian Cant wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:30 pm Agreed. Bassett all day and every time for me. He took his try brilliantly on Friday v Sale. Not sure Kata will be anything other than 3rd choice: he just isn’t Premiership standard.
I'm not sure this is a fair statement, Kata's record more than speaks for itself: he was extremely good in his rugby league days (I understand that does not always convert) he was starter under McKeller at the Brumbies, He also earned his way into a competitive Exeter midfield last year and played well their against us. Also described by McKeller as being a possible 'point of difference' in attack and defence. I think you're seriously under rating what could be a very exciting signing for us and from what I've read chiefs fans were very disappointed to see him leave.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Richardfje wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:43 pm
Ian Cant wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:30 pm Agreed. Bassett all day and every time for me. He took his try brilliantly on Friday v Sale. Not sure Kata will be anything other than 3rd choice: he just isn’t Premiership standard.
I'm not sure this is a fair statement, Kata's record more than speaks for itself: he was extremely good in his rugby league days (I understand that does not always convert) he was starter under McKeller at the Brumbies, He also earned his way into a competitive Exeter midfield last year and played well their against us. Also described by McKeller as being a possible 'point of difference' in attack and defence. I think you're seriously under rating what could be a very exciting signing for us and from what I've read chiefs fans were very disappointed to see him leave.
Think Ian is referring to him as a winger,or at least I hope he is. And he's certainly Premiership standard on the wing, it's just that he's far better at 12
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Richardfje

Post by Richardfje »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:46 pm
Richardfje wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:43 pm
Think Ian is referring to him as a winger,or at least I hope he is. And he's certainly Premiership standard on the wing, it's just that he's far better at 12
I think he can do a good job in either position, I think its very useful too have players in lots of positions that can fulfil different roles such as under Borthwick we saw some games when Nadolo started for his size and some games where other wingers started for their diffferent attributes such as kick chase. So I think Kata will hopefully be deployed across a few positions on the backline.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Blimey some people writing Kata off and he’s not even played for us yet.
A2O
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

ay2oh wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:49 pm Blimey some people writing Kata off and he’s not even played for us yet.
If the trend holds true, Ashton and Brown were written off, he should be pretty decent for us.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Everyone is always crying out for a big Pacific Islander and when we sign one he's no good because his kicking isn't great and he has a bad game for a disorganised Tonga.

At 16 stone something he's about the same weight as Rabeni despite being 4 inches shorter and despite whatever anyone's wife might say. How much bigger do you really want a back to be?

Good player who offers qualities that the rest our backline don't. I think he'll prove to be very useful.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

According to his stats he is around 16 stone 5 which is around the same as Freddie Steward but at least 6” shorter so quite stocky
A2O
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

I'm 5'9" and 16 1/2 stone. I hope he's better than me!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Snap ADS. Would imagine his BMI is lower than mine though
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Kata's a cracking signing. He just had a bad game. When Kelly was injured we really lacked impetus in the centres, Kata can offer that. He has weaknesses but someone as powerful as Kata in carrying and tackling but with few weaknesses elsewhere would be near impossible to get without being a marquee signing. Were folk expecting Tuisova or Kerevi as a reserve 12 that might cover wing...?
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

ABClub wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 5:25 pm Kata's a cracking signing. He just had a bad game. When Kelly was injured we really lacked impetus in the centres, Kata can offer that. He has weaknesses but someone as powerful as Kata in carrying and tackling but with few weaknesses elsewhere would be near impossible to get without being a marquee signing. Were folk expecting Tuisova or Kerevi as a reserve 12 that might cover wing...?
Think youve missed the jist of the whole debate completely tbh.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:15 pm
ABClub wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 5:25 pm Kata's a cracking signing. He just had a bad game. When Kelly was injured we really lacked impetus in the centres, Kata can offer that. He has weaknesses but someone as powerful as Kata in carrying and tackling but with few weaknesses elsewhere would be near impossible to get without being a marquee signing. Were folk expecting Tuisova or Kerevi as a reserve 12 that might cover wing...?
it wasn't really a debate either all this was sparked by me saying I want us to sign a giant Pacific Island winger like Alex, Niki or Nemzy, not no reason other than we've pretty much always had one and I miss that element.

I'm sure Kata will be superb for us in the centres
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:27 pm
Scott1 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:15 pm
it wasn't really a debate either all this was sparked by me saying I want us to sign a giant Pacific Island winger like Alex, Niki or Nemzy, not no reason other than we've pretty much always had one and I miss that element.

I'm sure Kata will be superb for us in the centres
Yes I agree,but he definitely missed the main point being made. No one questioned his signing at all from what I can see,and if they did certainly not at 12. His performances on the wing were brought up as well as the point that he plays almost all of his club rugby,certainly recently in the centres while Tonga play him on the wing. It was a weird take that’s all