Super User
Super User

Re: World Cup Squad Announcements

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 7:50 am
baz1664 wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 7:46 am
Scott1 wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 6:44 am NZ RWC Squad
https://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/1191477634?-11081:2392
What a squad, if Savea is in monster mode for much of the World Cup then the all blacks will be close. France and Ireland to push them!!
Have a feeling Ireland have peaked too soon and a lot of teams will look at the European blueprint on how Leinster are beaten and try and duplicate that. Conversely I think NZ have timed it perfectly and I tip them to win it. France are definitely in the mix too. Not sure about SA either,awesome squad but I just think those 2 are ahead at present
Yep AB and France top 2 going into the tournament. Ireland after them then probably SA. Did have Aussies as dark horses before the championship but who knows with them anymore.

Scotland and Wales have the ability to upset someone I feel if they get through to the knock outs.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

England as previously leaked
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Henry Slade and Alex Dombrandt are among the notable absentees from Steve Borthwick's 33-man England squad for the Rugby World Cup in France.

Joe Marchant is included but there is no place for Exeter back Slade, who played at the past two World Cups.

Saracens hooker Theo Dan, who made his debut in Saturday's warm-up loss to Wales, is also selected.

Owen Farrell will captain England, who open their tournament against Argentina in Marseille on 9 September.

England squad

Forwards: Ollie Chessum (Leicester), Dan Cole (Leicester), Tom Curry (Sale), Theo Dan (Saracens), Ben Earl (Saracens), Ellis Genge (Bristol), Jamie George (Saracens), Maro Itoje (Saracens), Courtney Lawes (Northampton), Lewis Ludlam (Northampton), Joe Marler (Harlequins), George Martin (Leicester), David Ribbans (Toulon), Bevan Rodd (Sale), Kyle Sinckler (Bristol), Will Stuart (Bath), Billy Vunipola (Saracens), Jack Walker (Harlequins), Jack Willis (Toulouse).

Backs: Henry Arundell (Racing 92), Danny Care (Harlequins), Elliot Daly (Saracens), Owen Farrell (Saracens), George Ford (Sale), Ollie Lawrence (Bath), Max Malins (Bristol), Joe Marchant (Stade Francais), Marcus Smith (Harlequins), Freddie Steward (Leicester), Manu Tuilagi (Sale), Jack van Poortvliet (Leicester), Anthony Watson (unattached), Ben Youngs (Leicester).
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

Happy enough with that, there is enough juice in that squad to get to the semi's but probably not much more than that.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

wigworth wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:07 am Happy enough with that, there is enough juice in that squad to get to the semi's but probably not much more than that.
Agree totally. Also think the squad had already been announced to the players before the Welsh game.
I’m hoping that can be put to one side now and start afresh on Saturday
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

You're optimistic, apart from Chile, I can see them struggle to find a win.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:13 am
wigworth wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:07 am Happy enough with that, there is enough juice in that squad to get to the semi's but probably not much more than that.
Agree totally. Also think the squad had already been announced to the players before the Welsh game.
I’m hoping that can be put to one side now and start afresh on Saturday
If that was the case - announcing to players before Saturday - that's not great because as much as you'd want to prove the coaching staff wrong for not being selected for the RWC, in the back of your mind you'd be "why am I bothering ?" - maybe a bit extreme but they'd be something there for sure. Let's hope that Twickenham is different and gives us some hope that we're moving forward. The "one-out runners to dent the line which should create space out wide" thing didn't work. Fair play to Smith and to a lesser extent Marchant, who at least tried to do something with ball that wasn't on the front foot. I do worry about our basic skills - I get that it was the first hit-out, but even so the amount of knock-ons and passes going astray was bewildering. JVP especially - passes behind the player, passes to the feet - awful.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

What little optimism I had left after Saturday's dismal performance has all but disappeared.

Particularly at 8. Why Vunipola has been selected is beyond me. He seems to be way past his best and dynamic young guns like Tom Willis and Zach Mercer have been ignored.
Semper in excretia
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Watson shown as unattached.

Feel sorry for Slade, suggests to me its going to be Ford at 10 Farell at 12 & whichever of Manu or Lawrence who is fit that week at 13.

As for the 9's, unless something remarkable happens over the next couple of weeks that looks like a real problem for England.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

tigerburnie wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:14 am You're optimistic, apart from Chile, I can see them struggle to find a win.
I guess my retort to that would be, do you actually believe that level and quality of rugby played on Saturday is the level England are actually at or was it an aberration of multiple factors all going wrong at the same time? Not that I am excusing them for the performance on the weekend, I was critical at the time but I do not foresee that being the level they will play at during the tournament.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:27 am Watson shown as unattached.
Yes, saw this and wondered about the consequences. There has been no announcement from Tigers, so WC then France? I hope not.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

IMO and others will differ start judging their performances after Saturdays game.
Everyone was saying how awful Australia were and they nearly beat the All Blacks.

I’m unsure where this Farrell will play at 12 is coming from. Count Daley and there are 4 centres. Yes it’s an option but I can’t see it being the first one
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Old Hob wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:36 am
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:27 am Watson shown as unattached.
Yes, saw this and wondered about the consequences. There has been no announcement from Tigers, so WC then France? I hope not.
We knew he was unattached hence an earlier thread about a training contract with the RFU
PIEANDAPINT
Tiger Cub

Post by PIEANDAPINT »

From an England perspective, I am not optimistic for the RWC. Disappointingly but not surprisingly, I have not seen any progress under Borthwick and co ( at best! ) I think the principal issue is the pack which we have available where we seem to lack powerful, ball carrying forwards capable of winning collisions and consistently making significant distance over the gain line ( particularly the front five.) I would rate all the main four Southern Hemisphere packs ahead of ours in this respect as well as maybe 3 of the six nations. Not sure this can be fixed in the time available.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

For me the only omitted players that can feel hard done by are Tom Willis (only got 20 mins to prove himself and looked better than Dombrandt did in 6 games) & Joe Cokanasiga (offers something completely different to all other options). A lot of people seem upset Slade didn't make the cut, I can understand it from the point of view that he is a talented player but he doesn't suit the gameplan at all and when was the last time he had a stormer of a game for England?

The squad selected isn't the most inspiring but frankly England are so weak in certain areas I don't think the likes of ROG or Razor could have done much better.