Transfers & Rumours Non-Tigers 2022

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Transfers & Rumours Non-Tigers 2022

Post by Postiger2 »

kpj tiger wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 1:15 pm Saracens squeeze room in their Salary cap for Juan Martin Gonzalez....
How do they do it, eh?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Postiger2 wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 8:00 pm
kpj tiger wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 1:15 pm Saracens squeeze room in their Salary cap for Juan Martin Gonzalez....
How do they do it, eh?
Well however they do it, it would be stupider than a very stupid thing for them to break the salary cap again.
More like high level coaching and very smart recruitment. I would imagine that if you look at their players salaries and remove Farrell and Itoje, one of who will be the marquee, a lot of their squad is at either the beginning or end of their career and not on that large a salary
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 8:15 pm
Postiger2 wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 8:00 pm
How do they do it, eh?
Well however they do it, it would be stupider than a very stupid thing for them to break the salary cap again.
More like high level coaching and very smart recruitment. I would imagine that if you look at their players salaries and remove Farrell and Itoje, one of who will be the marquee, a lot of their squad is at either the beginning or end of their career and not on that large a salary
George,Mako V,Billy V,Daly,Lozowski,Goode,Earl and maybe one or two more would be on a decent whack I expect! Perhaps Tompkins and Isiekwe maybe
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Well if the press start investigating now there is a chance the salary cap manger will look into in in a couple of years time.

Just wonder if the Vunipolas are off post RWC.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 8:37 pm Well if the press start investigating now there is a chance the salary cap manger will look into in in a couple of years time.

I’ve said this before, both will be on a downward slant salary wise and would fit in with the signing of Willis and West.
Wouldn’t surprise me if George is in a similar position following the emergence of Dan.
Added to the likes of Goode and Maitland being on their last deals, I bet Tigers squad is on higher combined salaries than Saracens, but there will also be conspiracy theorists.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Just doing a quick search pulls up £200k or £230k for George. Couple of sources say £380k for Billy V. I expect Mako will be on around the same. People are crazy if you think England Internationals and Lions are on peanuts! Nothing to do with conspiracy theories ,just common sense! Think it’s Itoje who is their marquee and it was rumoured he was on £800k. I’d put a decent wager on that out of Farrells,the Vunipolae and George’s wage that you wouldn’t get much change out of £1.5m!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 8:44 pm
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 8:37 pm Well if the press start investigating now there is a chance the salary cap manger will look into in in a couple of years time.

I’ve said this before, both will be on a downward slant salary wise and would fit in with the signing of Willis and West.
Wouldn’t surprise me if George is in a similar position following the emergence of Dan.
Added to the likes of Goode and Maitland being on their last deals, I bet Tigers squad is on higher combined salaries than Saracens, but there will also be conspiracy theorists.
Tbf I think both Tigers and Saracens will be spending up to the cap, now with credits etc I wouldn't like to say which is the bigger bill, but both probably similar.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Don't the champions always get a full review now?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:46 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 8:44 pm

Tbf I think both Tigers and Saracens will be spending up to the cap, now with credits etc I wouldn't like to say which is the bigger bill, but both probably similar.
It a good point TFS and it is all just guess work we jus don’t know. Salaries quoted on line could be out £50k one way or the other. Sarries have made a rod for their own back by being caught once and not being open, any signings they make will be questioned
I do feel that both Vunipolas and George will move on post World Cup. All 3 are in their 30s and could be looking for a final pay day. Also have a feeling that Itoje may take an extended sabbatical after the tournament, no proof just a feeling
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

sam16111986 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:07 am

Don't the champions always get a full review now?
My post was as much to do with the Salary Cap Manager having found diddly squat on their own so far.
Sarries would have to be monumentally stupid or arrogant to be caught twice...note the use of the word caught...
Plenty of Athletes have been caught twice doping.
I would be surprised if the clubs weren't trying to find a way to circumvent the cap.
Whatever the circumstances Sarries have got real gem of a player.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

When they got caught last time they were either very inept, careless or plain arrogant in the way they did it.

How would I dodge the salary cap? I would use a subsidiary company to pay players indirectly via companies registered in overseas tax havens where the level of scrutiny is low and the privacy laws don't permit third party investigation. Strict contractual agreement with the players concerned that any attempt to access the money while playing professionally would enact hefty penalty clauses held in secure storage.

Obviously I don't have the money to sponsor a player or team but the RFU/League have no right to see my accounts in the UK let alone those of any companies I might be involved with in the British Virgin Islands etc.

Do leopards change their spots? Could the league realistically have the will to enforce another relegation after the demise of 3 teams this season? I would argue the salary cap is unenforceable at present. If there were half dozen teams in the league below ready and willing to be promoted it might be different.
Goshengareth

Post by Goshengareth »

HMRC do have that right tho.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

mol2 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:23 pm When they got caught last time they were either very inept, careless or plain arrogant in the way they did it.

How would I dodge the salary cap? I would use a subsidiary company to pay players indirectly via companies registered in overseas tax havens where the level of scrutiny is low and the privacy laws don't permit third party investigation. Strict contractual agreement with the players concerned that any attempt to access the money while playing professionally would enact hefty penalty clauses held in secure storage.

Obviously I don't have the money to sponsor a player or team but the RFU/League have no right to see my accounts in the UK let alone those of any companies I might be involved with in the British Virgin Islands etc.

Do leopards change their spots? Could the league realistically have the will to enforce another relegation after the demise of 3 teams this season? I would argue the salary cap is unenforceable at present. If there were half dozen teams in the league below ready and willing to be promoted it might be different.
You wouldn't want to bank with Coutts then?
CrumblingTerrace
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

markharbtiger wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 7:14 pm TBH it seems to me that we’re not short of quality options across the back row…especially (as others have noted) with Ilione waiting for a chance to step up. Situation in the front row is arguably a little different…
McKellar has said in interviews how much he values continuity in sport. My point here is that I think our signings put us in a decent place for this season, but by the end of their (presumably two-year) contracts, Carter will be 36, Williams 33, Rogerson 32, Hatherell 30. We'll then likely need to make more changes again.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 7:08 pm
markharbtiger wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 7:14 pm TBH it seems to me that we’re not short of quality options across the back row…especially (as others have noted) with Ilione waiting for a chance to step up. Situation in the front row is arguably a little different…
McKellar has said in interviews how much he values continuity in sport. My point here is that I think our signings put us in a decent place for this season, but by the end of their (presumably two-year) contracts, Carter will be 36, Williams 33, Rogerson 32, Hatherell 30. We'll then likely need to make more changes again.
Carter is for a season. Williams is short term. The other 2 will still have plenty of miles in the tank especially given that neither has played regularly over the last season or so