LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 Squad and transfers thread part 2: The Lion, the Wig and the Wardrobe

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 Squad and transfers thread part 2: The Lion, the Wig and the Wardrobe

Post by RagingBull »

I liked Gigena but manner of leaving leaves a question mark for me
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 Squad and transfers thread part 2: The Lion, the Wig and the Wardrobe

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Based on losses to the squad, known additions, and possible development promotions, can’t help but agree prop, back row and wing (maybe centre, depending on where we see Kata fitting in) would be my only concerns.

Prop - The injuries at LH last year would have bitten us harder had we not picked up West. Allowing for the fact we don’t have Leatigaga this year either, we do look a little stretched. TH also concerns me with Cole and Heyes being on the England scene. Even if Cole retires after RWC, can he continue to be so durable for us? How ready is Richardson to take over Nephi, how close is Hoyt to being ready?

Back Row - it’s 7 and 8 that concern me more, but that is perhaps a reflection on the fact Reffell and Wiese are our internationals. Cracknell has proven to be an able deputy starter, and even more than able impact off the bench. Illone seems to be getting closer to breaking through also. Hatherall coming in at 6 perhaps just free’s up Martin to stay at Lock. So a project at 7 or 8 would be my preference here.

Wing - we have had a massive turnaround in numbers. Maybe we were marginally overstocked when you look at how many minutes Saumaki and Kini had, but we can’t overlook the loss of Nadolo, Ashton and Potter’s minutes. 5 out, 2 in (depending on whether Kata is prioritised at wing or centre) is a bit of an imbalance. Room for one more here I think.

I do wonder if the plan is to sit on the (assumed) cap space until after RWC on the chance there are some bolters, or whether DMK has some under the radar additions coming with him that he has knowledge of from his time at the Brumbies.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

As a 3rd choice I'd be happy with Gigena, him and Van Wyk providing back up to Cronin & Whitcombe
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Tigris
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Tigris »

voice of the crumbie wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:08 pm
johnthegriff wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:57 pm I was not particularly impressed by Gigena a when he was last with us so see no point in a return.
I am with you on that JTG.
Agree he wasn't pulling up trees week in week out when he was with us, but as a stop-gap (injury issues with Cronin and Whitcombe and big drop in experience below Cronin) he would probably do a job (likely more so than Van Wyk was typically providing scrummaging-wise).
Saying that, don't know whether he left us on good terms?
Hopefully Cronin stay injury free and Whitcombe really kicks on again this season and we end up with a Cole/Heyes situation at LH, but in the meantime it does feel like we could do with someone with proven experience until they settle.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

I'm sure I read something about Gigena going back to Argentina. Cant find anything now though....
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

As an aside I wonder whether the Ladies team will make any additional signings.
A2O
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Personally I think Van Wyke better than Gigena a so with him as 3rd choice we have Richardson who I have seen play both sides as back up. At tight head we have Cole, Heyes and Hurd, Hoyt I think could play in the Premier Cup and also for some minutes if necessary in the Premiership. An experienced prop that can play both loose and tight would not go amiss or an early 20's prospect. Smith looked ok.in the Academy if a little small but he may have switched to hooker?
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I don't rate Van Wyk - he's been with us for long enough to know his scrummaging is never going to be anything other than a liability in the Premiership. Not powerful enough and a real risk of getting carded for repeated scrum penalties.
speedski
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by speedski »

Burns has got me puzzled.

On his way back from Fiji, via NZ, going to be based in the Bath area and looking for a PT.

Looks like he hasn’t got a plan - which just seems…odd.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

speedski wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:39 pm Burns has got me puzzled.

On his way back from Fiji, via NZ, going to be based in the Bath area and looking for a PT.

he's still under contract isn't he and just back for their off season wanting to stay fit
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Re-signed for his previous Japanese side for 2 seasons
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:43 pm

he's still under contract isn't he and just back for their off season wanting to stay fit
No he’s left the Highlanders
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Potential targets still available IMO who are worth a look

1. Morozov, WGC, Evans, Orr, Faulkner, Fischetti
3. Alo, Van Dyk, Arhip, JTA
BR: Fearns, Rogerson, Noa, Grondona, Hardwick, Basham, Fa'aso'o
9. Maunder, Cook,
10. Wilkinson,
11. Fricker, Purdy, Tuicuvu, Lam, Glover, Nakaitaci, Cinti,
12. Kveseladza
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:44 pm

Re-signed for his previous Japanese side for 2 seasons
Yeh got like 6 months break will need a PT.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Would take both Grondona and Cinti