Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Post by ABClub »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:52 pm
ABClub wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:43 pm Worth mentioning that Browning looked the best I've seen him by a distance at senior level on Monday night.
That's something of a relief. He's looked a little out of his depth on previous WR appearance, and at 22 needs to kick on.
He'd looked very out of place after excelling at age grade. The coaches clearly felt there was something to work with when unexpectedly giving him another contract though and on the basis on Monday I think there's been progression there.

Rotimi Segun is an interesting example of that slower progression which is sometimes needed I think. He was a PRC player until he was 23/24 as he kept developing on the back burner but now looks an extremely solid winger for Sarries whenever he features.
TigerXV

Post by TigerXV »

ABClub wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:05 pm
ABClub wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:43 pm Worth mentioning that Browning looked the best I've seen him by a distance at senior level on Monday night.
That's something of a relief. He's looked a little out of his depth on previous WR appearance, and at 22 needs to kick on.
He'd looked very out of place after excelling at age grade. The coaches clearly felt there was something to work with when unexpectedly giving him another contract though and on the basis on Monday I think there's been progression there.

Rotimi Segun is an interesting example of that slower progression which is sometimes needed I think. He was a PRC player until he was 23/24 as he kept developing on the back burner but now looks an extremely solid winger for Sarries whenever he features.
just want to echo the comments re Browning on Monday - OK it wasn't prem level but he looked streets better than when I last saw him at WR both in attack and defence
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

TigerXV wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:18 pm
ABClub wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:05 pm

just want to echo the comments re Browning on Monday - OK it wasn't prem level but he looked streets better than when I last saw him at WR both in attack and defence
In the past Browning has seemed to lack just a bit of confidence, similar to how Olofowela (sp!) used to appear IMO. So if he's gained that confidence then he's likely to still be here next season.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:13 am Posted this before, but had a few more leavers announced so my updated list.

Jansen - Leaving end of the season
Ashton - retiring end of thr season

Left mid season: Nadolo, Hegarty, Burns, Shelley, Leatigaga, Horton (short term only) & Cowan-Dickie

Below is a list of who in the Senior squad I think may be out of contract
I think likely out of contract
I think possibly out of contract
Have left all the other on who signed or last extended in the 20/21 season and will explain why I think their contract is not up.

Last extended/signed 22/23 season
Tom West - 19/01/23 (remainder of season)
Joe Taufete'e - 12/08/22 signed

Last extended/signed 21/22 season
Jimmy Gopperth - 12/05/22 signed
Kini Murimurivalu - 12/05/22 re-signed
Anthony Watson - 12/05/22 signed
Calum Green - 01/02/22 re-signed
Hosea Saumaki - 30/07/21 signed

Last extended/signed 20/21 season
Eli Snyman - 08/03/21 signed
Francois Van Wyk - 08/03/21 signed

So of those, I think West is top priority to get over the line.

Taufete'e I expect will leave, Dolly back fit and with Theobald-Thomas & Vanes I think we have cover.

Gopperth is a 1+1 deal so probably will be activated our end. Only if he wants to front up a Wasps team in the Championship will he go IMO.

Murimurivalu, expecting him to probably leave, especially with us signing Brown. He may stay if other wingers leave could be kept as a power wing option

Watson, seems like he's wanting to go to family in Surrey or to France so hopefully he'll go to France rather than a competitior

Calum Green, think he's likely contracted for next season, but all the rumours I'm hearing is that his injury may mean Ashton won't be alone in retiring this season.

Saumaki, I just can't see us keeping him, won't be super cheap and think there are better options for us. Likes of Simmons are cheaper so we'll see.

Snyman, with Martin moving up to Lock, Henderson stepping up to a starting lock standard, not much room for him I thought, but the Green rumours are a possible lifeline for him next season.

Van Wyk, probably off, but could stay if he wants to stay on 4th choice sort of money, but doubt he will. Last few games for us he's done better, but with Whitcombe, West & Cronin ahead and none likely to be at the World cup, I doubt we can afford him
Kini is definitely leaving end of season, he's going home.
Richardfje

Post by Richardfje »

Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:26 pm
Richardfje wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:16 pm There’s been a huge amount of talk about potentially another winger coming in for us with some of the possibly outgoing wingers not replaced. I was wondering if anyone was opposed to taking a punt on Christian Wade as he only signed a one year deal with racing in September, very similar to Ashton in his try scoring ability, would always be available, possibly would not cost too much with only being in his first year back after 4 years out of the game. What are other peoples thought?
Not for me I’m afraid. Great finisher in his day, but question marks over other parts of his game especially defence.
While some may applaud his effort to break into NFL, it does make me question his commitment a little.
I think in recent years we’ve had a lot of joy taking risks on players, Nadolo could often be caught out in defence but he continued to play because of his X factor, Wade, back fit, would arguably have the same X factor and with Ashton and Watson going we need tries in the backs and he can finish them. Obviously these are all rumours
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Richardfje wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:38 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:26 pm
Richardfje wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:16 pm There’s been a huge amount of talk about potentially another winger coming in for us with some of the possibly outgoing wingers not replaced. I was wondering if anyone was opposed to taking a punt on Christian Wade as he only signed a one year deal with racing in September, very similar to Ashton in his try scoring ability, would always be available, possibly would not cost too much with only being in his first year back after 4 years out of the game. What are other peoples thought?
Not for me I’m afraid. Great finisher in his day, but question marks over other parts of his game especially defence.
While some may applaud his effort to break into NFL, it does make me question his commitment a little.
I think in recent years we’ve had a lot of joy taking risks on players, Nadolo could often be caught out in defence but he continued to play because of his X factor, Wade, back fit, would arguably have the same X factor and with Ashton and Watson going we need tries in the backs and he can finish them. Obviously these are all rumours
Very good point, I think it’s more a personal thing I was never that much of a fan. Would probably be 4th in the pecking order, behind OHC, Potter and Bassett, so at the right price could be ok.
All hypothetical of course.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Yes I would agree with that assessment
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

I would definitely take Wade, he is a prolific try scorer and his defence is not as bad as sometimes portrayed.

He also has experience at the top level and hopefully wouldn't be too expensive. All providing he was keen to come and the coaches judge he will arrive with the right attitude. It would probably help that Gopperth is here, an old mucker from Wasps.
Soggypitch
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

I think Wade has/is likely to sign for another season with Racing.
Semper in excretia
Richardfje

Post by Richardfje »

Robespierre wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:57 am
I think Wade has/is likely to sign for another season with Racing.
Is this a prediction or have you heard it somewhere else?
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

I thought he had already signed on again??

I see he’s claiming if he’d played for the teams that Ashy has played for that he would have passed the 100 tries mark ‘five, six years ago’….
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Wade sounds like his own biggest fan so probably wouldn’t fit in with Tigers culture.
A2O
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

ay2oh wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:49 am Wade sounds like his own biggest fan so probably wouldn’t fit in with Tigers culture.
Same was said about Ashton and Brown and a few others before they came in. Thing is, Wade may have overstated it but in principle he might be right. He scored 82 tries in seven seasons in the premiership which he left in 2018, so if fit…

Players have to be prepared to back themselves to deliver. Tigers players are no different in that respect and we shouldn’t want them to be.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Grimlish wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:22 pm
ay2oh wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:49 am Wade sounds like his own biggest fan so probably wouldn’t fit in with Tigers culture.
Same was said about Ashton and Brown and a few others before they came in. Thing is, Wade may have overstated it but in principle he might be right. He scored 82 tries in seven seasons in the premiership which he left in 2018, so if fit…

Players have to be prepared to back themselves to deliver. Tigers players are no different in that respect and we shouldn’t want them to be.
Dont recall Brown or Ashton bragging about their ability and can’t think of anyone currently in our squad who has.
A2O
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Wade's statement that he'd likely have broken that record had he not moved to the NFL isn't an unreasonable one to be fair. I haven't seen the full TRP article though. I've only seen the snippet Ruck have nicked and I'm not drawing any conclusions on the basis of their work. If an infinite number of monkeys with type writers could write Shakespeare then 2 monkeys with 1 biro could run Ruck.

Ashton - 101 tries in 179 games - 0.56 strike rate
Wade - 82 tries in 130 games - 0.63 strike rate

Both are incredible finishers. Wade currently 7 tries in 9 apps for Racing as well so it's not like he's lost it. Rumours are he's going to re-sign with Racing 92 for next season anyway.