Dan McKellar to join Leicester Tigers as Head Coach

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

CrumblingTerrace
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Who should be the next Head Coach / DoR at Tigers?

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

This is a bold and brave appointment by the club. Someone well regarded, with international experience, who's career is on the rise. Not unlike a certain Mr Borthwick.

And he's an ex-prop who loves the grunt work. He'll fit in here.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:12 am So, we have a long term Head Coach.

Let's look at his support staff.

Currently in place
Matt Everard
Matt Smith
Brett Deacon
Tom Harrison*

*rumoured in contention to replace Cockers at England as scrum coach

Got to say the fact McKellar has left Australia at exactly the same time as Australia scrum coach Petrus du Plessis (credited along with McKellar for the Aus revival in their scrum) does hint at a possible replacement for Harrison, but 2+2 does not always equal 5.

I think Everard or similar is key to support McKellar as we need a senior support coach who knows the Northern Hemisphere game to support
No offence to the the coaches left, but I hope McKellar is getting free reign to appoint his own coaching stuff.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

TTRITH wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:18 am
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:12 am So, we have a long term Head Coach.

Let's look at his support staff.

Currently in place
Matt Everard
Matt Smith
Brett Deacon
Tom Harrison*

*rumoured in contention to replace Cockers at England as scrum coach

Got to say the fact McKellar has left Australia at exactly the same time as Australia scrum coach Petrus du Plessis (credited along with McKellar for the Aus revival in their scrum) does hint at a possible replacement for Harrison, but 2+2 does not always equal 5.

I think Everard or similar is key to support McKellar as we need a senior support coach who knows the Northern Hemisphere game to support
No offence to the the coaches left, but I hope McKellar is getting free reign to appoint his own coaching stuff.
I agree, but feel it is important for him to have some continuity of some coaches who know the players and how to get the best from them.

Exactly who that is is down to personalties etc.

I hope between now and the end of the season he has some proper time to spend with the guys left to find out which ones he works well with and clicks with.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

I’d just seen that Du Plessis had also left his role, perhaps does lean toward him coming if Harrison is off to the England setup.

Borthwick - McKellar
Sinfield (Defence) - ?
Walters (Physical Performance) -
Wigglesworth (Attack) -
Harrison (Scrum) - Du Plessis?

Given that is the list of Borthwick’s team that have/will/may leave, I haven’t included Deacon, Smith or Everard as the replacements as they were/are already here anyway. So I’d assume McKellar will want to fill some of those positions above with his own people, hope he gets that same courtesy that Borthwick did.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:26 am I’d just seen that Du Plessis had also left his role, perhaps does lean toward him coming if Harrison is off to the England setup.

Borthwick - McKellar
Sinfield (Defence) - ?
Wigglesworth (Attack) -

Given that is the list of Borthwick’s team that have/will/may leave, I haven’t included Deacon, Smith or Everard as the replacements as they were/are already here anyway. So I’d assume McKellar will want to fill some of those positions above with his own people, hope he gets that same courtesy that Borthwick did.

https://wallabies.rugby/news/wallabies- ... es-2023222

Reading this it seems unlikely that Petrus du Plessis is joining us as states business interests outside of rugby.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:26 am I’d just seen that Du Plessis had also left his role, perhaps does lean toward him coming if Harrison is off to the England setup.

Borthwick - McKellar
Sinfield (Defence) - ?
Wigglesworth (Attack) -

I would hope that Everard would keep his position as defence coach as he has done a good job IMHO. I hope McKeller gets free reign to choose his own coaches but I hope we keep Brett and Dosser's Lad to keep the Tiger's history there as crazy as that may seem. As mentioned, I hope Du Plessis gets the scrum coach position.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Hopefully keep Brett and Matt but add an attack coach and conditioning coach.
A2O
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

Pellsey wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:30 am
I would hope that Everard would keep his position as defence coach as he has done a good job IMHO. I hope McKeller gets free reign to choose his own coaches but I hope we keep Brett and Dosser's Lad to keep the Tiger's history there as crazy as that may seem. As mentioned, I hope Du Plessis gets the scrum coach position.
Wasps haven't announced a head coach for next season yet have they? I do wonder if he ends up going back there? I also wouldn't blame Brett if he decided to move onto another role. He's been through a lot at the club, and I would have thought should have been named interim coach over Wiggie, so perhaps he'll want to move onto a more senior role.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

TTRITH wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:36 am
Wasps haven't announced a head coach for next season yet have they? I do wonder if he ends up going back there? I also wouldn't blame Brett if he decided to move onto another role. He's been through a lot at the club, and I would have thought should have been named interim coach over Wiggie, so perhaps he'll want to move onto a more senior role.
Maybe Matt O'Connor would be interested in being Head Coach for the pests?!! :smt040 :smt040

I honestly hope we keep Everard.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

If Brett had been appointed the interim I'd have thought it more likely he'd leave than as it is.

With him as Interim he'd have to take a step down for a new coach to join. As it is nobody is having to step down.
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

Don’t know the bloke so wish him the best. Seems more Borths-like than MOC-like. And the Aussies seem to be gutted to be losing him which is a good sign.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-unio ... 5cmh9.html
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:49 am
If Brett had been appointed the interim I'd have thought it more likely he'd leave than as it is.

With him as Interim he'd have to take a step down for a new coach to join. As it is nobody is having to step down.
Doesnt it depend on finances if the new man wants his own coaches.?
A2O
Tigerbeat

Re: Dan McKellar to join Leicester Tigers as Head Coach

Post by Tigerbeat »

https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/cl ... ent-230222

Leicester Tigers have appointed Dan McKellar to the role of Head Coach, on a long-term deal, commencing from July 1, 2023.

McKellar will join Tigers from Rugby Australia where he has been the Wallabies Senior Assistant Coach since 2021 and was Head Coach of Super Rugby side the ACT Brumbies from 2018 – 2022.

During his five-year tenure as Head Coach with the Brumbies, he guided the club to the inaugural Super Rugby AU competition in 2020 and were runners’ up in 2021, as well as semi-finalists in 2019 and 2022.

Prior to taking up the Head Coach role in the ACT, McKellar was Assistant Coach at the Brumbies from 2014-17.

His previous coaching roles were Forwards Coach at Japanese club NTT DoCoMo Red Hurricanes (2013), Head Coach of the University of Canberra Vikings (2014) in the Australian National Rugby Championship, Head Coach of the Tuggeranong Vikings in Canberra (2011-12) and Head Coach of Souths Rugby Club in Brisbane (2008-10).

Before moving into coaching, McKellar made more than 150 senior appearances as a loosehead prop for Souths Rugby Club and spent two seasons in the Queensland Reds squad from 2005-06, as well as stints in Ireland and Scotland in the latter stages of his playing career.

Speaking about the decision to join Leicester Tigers, McKellar said: “This has been a big decision for me and my family, to make the move to the other side of the world together, but it is one that we are very much looking forward to doing, to be a part of a club like Leicester Tigers.”

“There are strong links with the community, with the supporters and knowing that I will be a part of game days at Mattioli Woods Welford Road with 25,000 people in the stands lights a fire for me.

“What else stood out for me was that the club takes great pride in having a very strong academy programme, where we can develop our own players both culturally and from a rugby perspective.

“In the experiences I have had in the northern hemisphere, as part of tours with Australia, I have seen the passion for the game and the genuine love for the game that there is and that is what I want to be involved in.”

Discussing the club, McKellar added: “The Tigers DNA is built around a combative style of rugby, with a strong set piece and defence, and that is something that I felt aligned strongly with myself."

“As well as that, we will be a side that attack in the right areas of the field and challenge teams in the right areas of the field.

“I see a squad of players at Leicester Tigers that I believe can evolve, can grow and have areas that I can add value to and help develop individuals to improve the team as a whole.

“It is important to me that the Leicester Tigers side I lead is one that represents what the club is about and what it stands for.”

On the appointment and recruitment process of McKellar, Leicester Tigers Chief Executive Officer Andrea Pinchen said: “We are delighted to be able to confirm Dan McKellar’s appointment to the Head Coach role at Leicester Tigers from next season.”

“This has been a rigorous process, over a period of almost six months, and always been about ensuring that we found the very best coach to lead this club into the future and Dan McKellar is that coach.

“He has displayed the characteristics of someone who understands what Leicester Tigers is about and is highly committed to seeing the club be successful and, more importantly, consistently successful.

“In all of the stages of this process, from early on in using data analytics to identify a list of 40 potential candidates, right up until meeting him and his family, we have been hugely impressed by the way in which Dan fits what Leicester Tigers is about.

“His style of coaching, his interactions and passion for wanting to improve players, his interest in developing Tigers-made players and our connection with our community has shown he understands the uniqueness of this club.

“Dan is committed to long-term success at Leicester Tigers and we are looking forward to welcoming him and his family in the summer, before getting to work together.”

Looking ahead to the remainder of the 2022/23 campaign, Pinchen added: “While this is exciting news for the future of our club, the current campaign remains incredibly important to everyone at Leicester Tigers.”

“This is not a club that has transition years and under the guidance of Richard Wigglesworth, we remain steadfast in finishing this season successfully.

“Richard, Aled Walters and the coaching team have done an exceptional job in difficult circumstances during these past couple of months and – as they have throughout their entire time at Leicester Tigers – are giving everything to finishing the season strongly.

“I cannot compliment the coaching team, our playing group, staff and all of our supporters highly enough for the way in which everybody has adapted and continued to give everything for Leicester Tigers during a challenging year.

“We are excited for the future, yes, but what is most important is the now and continuing to give our supporters, partners and Leicester the very best from Tigers.”

McKellar departs Rugby Australia effective immediately and will begin as Leicester Tigers Head Coach ahead of the 2023/24 pre-season.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Forgive me for asking what may be a stupid question but why is it taking so long for him to take up the role? Earlier someone said "1st July"???? I know he will have a family to move, other coaches to talk to, etc but we are over 5 months away from July 1st and I would hope to see some contact with the players we have ahead of that time. Players to retain/let go/sign will make his job easier if he has some involvement in what is happening before July 1st. I am aware that most of the new signings have been done for next year according to Andrea but I hope he will have some input there. New thing - IMWT - welcome to the family
Hehehehehehehehe
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

ay2oh wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:54 am
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:49 am

Doesnt it depend on finances if the new man wants his own coaches.?
It does, but then I don’t imagine tempting Walters to leave the SA National team, or Sinfield to leave Rhino’s DoR (given he previously held a role with RFL as Rugby Director also) was done on a tight budget. Therefore with the rumoured payoff, plus the salaries being freed up, I’d imagine we can go like for like in terms of quality. Borthwick’s team of 5 have left/will leave, so you’d assume we have space for 5 new coaches.