LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Mo Leicester

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Post by Mo Leicester »

Dan Biggar reported to be on his way from Northampton with immediate effect.

What odds on Atkinson to Saints?
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Mo Leicester wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:17 pm Dan Biggar reported to be on his way from Northampton with immediate effect.

Isn’t a Finn Smith going to Saints?
Semper in excretia
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Mo Leicester wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:17 pm Dan Biggar reported to be on his way from Northampton with immediate effect.

That would leave them VERY light on experience at 10 with Finn Smith, James Grayson and Atkinson
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Robespierre wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:20 pm

Isn’t a Finn Smith going to Saints?
He's already there
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

I know it’s very much the club’s policy not to announce leak anything, but I do find it a little concerning that other clubs, admittedly not all, are finding ways to sign some of these quality players that have through no fault of their own have become available. Are we to read into this that we are right on the budget limit.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

The fact that Willis and Atkinson haven’t been announced as signing for someone else gives me hope that we have signed them but not yet announced as is Borthwick’s way.
A2O
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

ay2oh wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:47 pm The fact that Willis and Atkinson haven’t been announced as signing for someone else gives me hope that we have signed them but not yet announced as is Borthwick’s way.
Please don’t think I’m being critical far from it, and I appreciate both the players we have been connected to have spent the week in Jersey. Would just be good to hear something, maybe it’s because there’s nothing else at present
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Biggar going to Toulon would mean they can swap the marquee player (probably to Lawes)

Let's say (purely speculation) 300k difference between their wages. (Lawes 600k, Biggar 900k)

New contracts start in July so to end of October that's ⅓ of the year. ⅓ the difference in wages is 100k, so if Biggar was to swap to being in the cap space and Lawes be a marquee, then Saints have spent about 300k of Biggar's wages in what was budgeted as 600k of space.

That frees up say 300k of cap space for them. Of clubs that can afford the cap that is a LOT and they could get some serious talent with that sort of money compared to other clubs offering peanuts...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

You don’t sign Smith to then sign Atkinson. Both would want game time and you have Grayson as well.

Of the clubs that need a 10 the ones that make the most sense for Atkinson are Sarries and Tigers. Their front line are fly halves are absent for large chunks for the season and the coaching is excellent for development.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:13 pm Biggar going to Toulon would mean they can swap the marquee player (probably to Lawes)

Let's say (purely speculation) 300k difference between their wages. (Lawes 600k, Biggar 900k)

New contracts start in July so to end of October that's ⅓ of the year. ⅓ the difference in wages is 100k, so if Biggar was to swap to being in the cap space and Lawes be a marquee, then Saints have spent about 300k of Biggar's wages in what was budgeted as 600k of space.

That frees up say 300k of cap space for them. Of clubs that can afford the cap that is a LOT and they could get some serious talent with that sort of money compared to other clubs offering peanuts...
I think Saints would just like to be able to select Lawes at the moment.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

ay2oh wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:47 pm The fact that Willis and Atkinson haven’t been announced as signing for someone else gives me hope that we have signed them but not yet announced as is Borthwick’s way.
Lets not forget they are both also currently in England camp which surely must slow negotiations
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Even if we're signing one player, my assumption would be that the player would want to sort a deal out for the rest of the season pretty quickly - therefore Tigers would announce that relatively soon ?

The other factors I guess are that we're not the only club that they're talking to, particularly in the Willis case, I imagine he's in demand across Europe and beyond. The question would be does he hook up a "rest of the season" deal, then talk seriously about next season and beyond, which would make sense, but you never know.

Atkinson could be in a similar situation. If you can get a "rest of the season" deal on the same money, or more then happy days.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

westwinds31 wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 12:34 pm Even if we're signing one player, my assumption would be that the player would want to sort a deal out for the rest of the season pretty quickly - therefore Tigers would announce that relatively soon ?

The other factors I guess are that we're not the only club that they're talking to, particularly in the Willis case, I imagine he's in demand across Europe and beyond. The question would be does he hook up a "rest of the season" deal, then talk seriously about next season and beyond, which would make sense, but you never know.

Atkinson could be in a similar situation. If you can get a "rest of the season" deal on the same money, or more then happy days.
Possibly an early announcement... BUT Tigers like to bundle signings together and till there's a game, there's no need to announce too quickly (especially if in the international squads as not going to be spotted at training)
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

There may be ongoing discussions with the England heirachy as well. I am guessing players in contention for England places will want some sold assurances that they will be included in the exceptional circumstances rule if, for example, they went to France, But they would also need to know what length of deal they can sign. As such, there may well be a bit of sorting out to do before they can negotiate their next move.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

GB72 wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 4:02 pm There may be ongoing discussions with the England heirachy as well. I am guessing players in contention for England places will want some sold assurances that they will be included in the exceptional circumstances rule if, for example, they went to France, But they would also need to know what length of deal they can sign. As such, there may well be a bit of sorting out to do before they can negotiate their next move.
That's already been confirmed by the RFU that it is included in the exceptional circumstances rule