LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Aled Walters and the Philosopher's Stone

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

bendy

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Aled Walters and the Philosopher's Stone

Post by bendy »

trendylfj wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:08 am I did not like Ashton before at all - total dislike - showoff monkey. BUT, since he has come here, I am rapidly gaining respect for him and looking forward to keeping him for at least one more year. However, I still don't want to see the "splash" for us, score your tries, and celebrate the Leicester way. Salute the crowd, thank your teammates, and enjoy the response. I know there will be those who are looking forward to the "splash" but I am not.
My bold.

Sure there's a time and a place, but I didn't hear much consternation in the crowd when Nemzy did a splash dive for his first try last weekend (and bear in mind we were losing at the time, not 4 tries to the good. If he'd have dropped that ball it would have been pretty grim), so I don't see why we should be pre-judging other players on their scoring technique.

Personally I've been impressed with Ashton since he's joined - he's seems prepared to accept his place as no.23, or back-up winger, and when he does come on he's been committed (see that covering tackle on his debut!) and, pleasingly, goes looking for work, happy to roll his sleeves up and get stuck in, rather than standing on the touchline waving his arms around waiting for the ball to float out his way.
glenn

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Aled Walters and the Philosopher's Stone

Post by glenn »

If, or when , Chris breaks the premiership try record, would you deny him his patented splash then? I certainly won't begrudge him a celebratory moment
AViewFromLe2

Post by AViewFromLe2 »

I've never understood the problem with the splash dive. As long as you actually score it, I don't care how you do it. In any case, like has been mentioned before, Nemani did it as well. Hardly the biggest of problems.

On Ashton, I think he will be with us next season. He looks to have settled in well and the reaction to his try on Saturday showed that he's been taken into the group well, which is great to see. The team spirit has been massive so far for us so really positive to see that continue with him involved. He looks in good shape, and i think the set up we have here will only see us get the best out of him. Personally don't see any harm in giving him another 12 month deal. I think he would be good value for 6-8 tries over a full season, whilst only featuring up to 75% of the games off the bench or starting.

In terms of the back 3, I think Kini will be moving on at the end of the season. Like others have said, we probably we will be looking at another 15 option. As a suggestion, I could see us going in for Mike Brown. Under moneyball criteria, I suspect he scores high on the key metrics they look for in the 15 shirt (good under the high ball, kick chase, tackles made etc) and not cost the earth. He knows SB from his England days, solid professional, might pass on some tips to Steward, I could see it happen.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

AViewFromLe2 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:58 pm I've never understood the problem with the splash dive. As long as you actually score it, I don't care how you do it. In any case, like has been mentioned before, Nemani did it as well. Hardly the biggest of problems.

On Ashton, I think he will be with us next season. He looks to have settled in well and the reaction to his try on Saturday showed that he's been taken into the group well, which is great to see. The team spirit has been massive so far for us so really positive to see that continue with him involved. He looks in good shape, and i think the set up we have here will only see us get the best out of him. Personally don't see any harm in giving him another 12 month deal. I think he would be good value for 6-8 tries over a full season, whilst only featuring up to 75% of the games off the bench or starting.

In terms of the back 3, I think Kini will be moving on at the end of the season. Like others have said, we probably we will be looking at another 15 option. As a suggestion, I could see us going in for Mike Brown. Under moneyball criteria, I suspect he scores high on the key metrics they look for in the 15 shirt (good under the high ball, kick chase, tackles made etc) and not cost the earth. He knows SB from his England days, solid professional, might pass on some tips to Steward, I could see it happen.
Never known him to drop the ball in the splash unlike say Freddie Burns
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

The key for me it seems with the likes of Burns, Ashton & Wigglesworth for example is the fact they were the first choice in their position previously however in joining us they seem to have accepted they are a rotation player, but who will be given the opportunity to play and showcase their skills.

I'd suggest the same has been made clear to Gopperth, and if we are interested in Brown he needs to accept he would not be a starter. So long as it is clear what their opportunities would be I can see these signings working for us so long as financially they are on the right wages as backup players.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Brown is a no from me. Just don't think he's good enough any more.
Knightonian

Post by Knightonian »

It would seem to me that Ashton is the money ball replacement for Kimi next year if he can keep the party line… and If he keeps the line I also believe that he will be the top try scorer
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Knightonian wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:53 pm It would seem to me that Ashton is the money ball replacement for Kimi next year if he can keep the party line… and If he keeps the line I also believe that he will be the top try scorer
Or the cheaper replacement for Kobus van Wyk who Borthwick doesn't seem to trust. Alternate with Potter on the right wing and provide some additional cover for 15.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

🤞 he's Van Wyks replacement rather than Muris!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Told a rumour today
Moroni Out
Lawrence In

Disclaimer no idea on the validity of the rumour (Hence why it's not in the original post which I tend now to only keep rumours that seem pretty legit) , but thought it was interesting enough to post.

also saying that heard last week that Moroni was staying so who knows anymore.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:12 pm Told a rumour today
Moroni Out
Lawrence In

Disclaimer no idea on the validity of the rumour (Hence why it's not in the original post which I tend now to only keep rumours that seem pretty legit) , but thought it was interesting enough to post.

Lawrence as in Ollie Lawrence
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Moroni Out
Lawrence In

Would be surprised if Lawrence left Worcester now Diamond is there
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

kpj tiger wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:37 pm
Moroni Out
Lawrence In

I thought that would be a good reason to leave ! :smt026 :smt027
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Moroni Out
Lawrence In

I would think there is probably a lot still to be settled, with many clubs including Tigers trying to juggle their squads and cap for next year.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

westwinds31 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:09 pm
kpj tiger wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:37 pm
Moroni Out
Lawrence In

I thought that would be a good reason to leave ! :smt026 :smt027
He seems a marmite bloke. His players either love him or leave the club.