Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sapajo
Super User
Super User

Re: Team for Exeter

Post by sapajo »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:51 pm
kpj tiger wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:35 pm Was I the only one that was reminded of Anthony Allen in the way Scott played?
he did seem to be leading the defensive line well

by the way was the new Georgian hooker not picked or unavailable?
Last club update was that he is doing his arrival isolation.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Thought we showed good spirit, forwards did well, too many penalties conceded though I confess I was not sure what some of them were for and what the difference was when Exeter seemed to be doing the same thing. Some of the comment about our back three is unfair, Worth is a completely different sort of player to Veainu and will not attack in the same way. He did not have a great game but was not the disaster some suggest. We did not get the ball to our wings to give them the opportunity to show what they could do ball in hand. We have just lost away to probably the best team in the Premiership, I think there will be changes to the team for next match, it will be interesting to see what they are.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

sapajo wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:03 pm
jgriffin wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:55 pm That was a good result with an improved performance in MOST areas.
Must have been watching a different game to me !
I have always been.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
10mill
Tiger Cub

Post by 10mill »

Completely agree regarding the penalties, I genuinely did not know what several were given for.
That said, I didn’t see either the captain nor vice captain asking for clarity from the ref
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

In the end more positives than negatives but after the first few games hopefully Tigers will begin to gel more and get some wins.
Penalty count was too high and I’m sure Borthwick will soon instil a better attitude towards listening to the ref!
I agree with others that say Matt Scott looked very good but a lack of speed and poor or no running lines from the back 3 must be annoying for such a great running fly half as Ford.
Exeter also used their loud calling to great effect in defence.
I thought, in the end we just about deserved a losing bonus point.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Some big positives, firstly Exeter are champions and we really managed to match them in the forwards. Wells and Reffell stood out for me on the flanks, both a nuisance at the breakdown. Don’t forget we still have some hookers and backrowers to join the squad.

Scott also was great at 12, reads the game very well defensively. Taute had a game to forget but believe he can be a solid operator with some time on the pitch.

Back three really were awful. We can’t just keep giving Worth and Olowofela unlimited minutes with no real improvement. Want to see Henry, Porter and Potter given a go next week. No the end of the world with Moroni, Nadolo, Van Wyk and Muri all missing.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:24 pm Some big positives, firstly Exeter are champions and we really managed to match them in the forwards. Wells and Reffell stood out for me on the flanks, both a nuisance at the breakdown. Don’t forget we still have some hookers and backrowers to join the squad.

Scott also was great at 12, reads the game very well defensively. Taute had a game to forget but believe he can be a solid operator with some time on the pitch.

Back three really were awful. We can’t just keep giving Worth and Olowofela unlimited minutes with no real improvement. Want to see Henry, Porter and Potter given a go next week. No the end of the world with Moroni, Nadolo, Van Wyk and Muri all missing.
Well noted, that man. :smt023
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Duncan B
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Duncan B »

I think we are really forced into a quite a limited game plan at the moment of kick chase, territory and preying on errors due to the limitations outside of 10. But having said that, that’s probably the smart thing to do. Scott did look good, I would rather see him at 13 and I would like to see Henry have a go at 12. Back 3 very limited. I do think Worth is a touch out of his depth at this level (for now I’m sure he will come good at some point, seems to have the attributes, just timing and decision making off for me.)
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

jgriffin don't misunderstand me I take more positives than negative from that game, doesn't mean I won't be critical of poor play as I see it
Longshanks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Longshanks »

Interesting point on (BT Sport) commentary that "the fans deserve to know why Tigers headline signing was not picked despite being fit and available".
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Longshanks wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:25 pm Interesting point on (BT Sport) commentary that "the fans deserve to know why Tigers headline signing was not picked despite being fit and available".
we already know he started training after the other players
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Why?
We have 4 games in 2 weeks.
Exeter Away
Bath Home
Irish Home
Gloucester Away

It's pretty obvious why some players might not have been picked despite being fit.

This period is going to require a lot of man managing.
Duncan B
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Duncan B »

True that squads will need clever managing, but we were incredibly light on quality in the back 3 today. Really hope he comes in versus Bath, we need to win that one.
Longshanks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Longshanks »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:31 pm Why?
We have 4 games in 2 weeks.
Exeter Away
Bath Home
Irish Home
Gloucester Away

It's pretty obvious why some players might not have been picked despite being fit.

This period is going to require a lot of man managing.
I don't think the strategy is pretty obvious at all. If you are not going to pick your strongest side against the most likely champions then why not hold back in areas where you lack strength in depth - what if Ford had been injured? My personal impression (right or wrong) is that expectations (by players, management and fans) were low ahead of this game enabling a sub-optimal selection.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Lots of positives most notably the lineout and an improvement on previous outings this season. Away to arguably the best team in the league was always going to be tough but I think the lads did ok. Scott looks solid and Ford showed his class once again. Agree with earlier posts about Henry, great prospect.

With Brink, Enever, Mamu, Wiese, Nadolo, Potter, Porter, Murimurivalu, Moroni and Van Wyk still to come (albeit at various different stages) I think the ‘green shoots’ are definitely there and I’m excited to see these players integrate and gel under our new coaching team.

Moving in the right direction with some big names to slot in.