Penalties for COVID Breaches

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tigerbeat

Re: Penalties for COVID Breaches

Post by Tigerbeat »

The England Cricket team were at risk of losing £10million as a result of Archers actions.

Clubs cannot afford to lose any revenue and all the players need to buy into the principles and procedures in place to ensure that the games go ahead and conclude successfully. If they cannot accept these requirements, they need to step away and not put the competition at risk.
There are risks in everything we do on a daily basis but everyone needs to do what is right and expected to avoid any penalties or putting the game of rugby at risk.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Longshanks wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:49 pm
Tigerbeat wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:16 pm
Longshanks wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:12 pm I don't envy clubs being held responsible for getting this message across and enforcing the rules with players. When you consider the blatant disregard for government and local authority restrictions amongst some elements of the public, you could be forgiven as a professional sportsperson for thinking why is life for me so different? Ridiculously crowded public beaches, illegal raves, mass protests, tower block parties - with authorities seemingly unable or unwilling to intervene - yet our sports teams have to demonstrate a level of compliance from a different world. It all seems to be about those who are easiest to govern being required to set an example. I don't think the amount Jofra Archer's fine has been made public but I would guess the cost of being made an example of was not trivial.
The alternatives to not following the advice would be that the matches would not be allowed to go ahead. Whilst there are some parts of the community that disregard it because of what others have done , my attitude is that CovID is still out there and I should be responsible and be better than them, not follow them, each taking personal responsibility.
I couldn't agree more. Unfortunately too many live on the basis of pushing the boundaries unless or until they are pushed back - hence why those who may be regarded as influencers, role models and opinion formers are (generally) required to behave to a higher standard - for others who may be led to follow. To some extent that's life.

Where it gets complicated (to get back to the subject of the thread) is how to determine and implement an appropriate penalty for an individual or organisation who contravenes a guideline so widely and blatantly ignored elsewhere? This seems one of those rare situations where the moral position is clearer than the legal one.
I don't think these are secret rules and penalties that no one told the players about. Life is all about choices, if a player chooses to break the rules, they are aware of the repercussions. Every job is different and comes with its own unique pros and cons - if they don't like it they can get a different job.
Longshanks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Longshanks »

Tiglon wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:11 pm
Longshanks wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:49 pm
Tigerbeat wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:16 pm

The alternatives to not following the advice would be that the matches would not be allowed to go ahead. Whilst there are some parts of the community that disregard it because of what others have done , my attitude is that CovID is still out there and I should be responsible and be better than them, not follow them, each taking personal responsibility.
I couldn't agree more. Unfortunately too many live on the basis of pushing the boundaries unless or until they are pushed back - hence why those who may be regarded as influencers, role models and opinion formers are (generally) required to behave to a higher standard - for others who may be led to follow. To some extent that's life.

Where it gets complicated (to get back to the subject of the thread) is how to determine and implement an appropriate penalty for an individual or organisation who contravenes a guideline so widely and blatantly ignored elsewhere? This seems one of those rare situations where the moral position is clearer than the legal one.
I don't think these are secret rules and penalties that no one told the players about. Life is all about choices, if a player chooses to break the rules, they are aware of the repercussions. Every job is different and comes with its own unique pros and cons - if they don't like it they can get a different job.
I do hope the situation is as black and white as that to the players. My fear is that it is not and that through the (social) media lens there is contradiction and ambiguity leading to people making foolish and irresponsible mistakes. Should that cost them their jobs? I'm not so sure.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I'm not aware of any players being sacked for breaching covid guidelines. I honestly don't see a problem here.

Employee given rules → employee breaks rules → employee disciplined.

I'm not a professional sports person, but it's exactly the same for me too.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Tiglon wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:33 pm
JP14 wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:56 pm These rules and regulations slightly confuse me, if everyone has been tested and people negative are cleared to play the game, what’s the need for social distancing on buses pre-game?
The tests aren't 100%, it's easy to do the distancing so why not? It's just another thing the clubs/league can say "look at how safe we are". It's all about public perception.
Longshanks wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:12 pm I don't envy clubs being held responsible for getting this message across and enforcing the rules with players. When you consider the blatant disregard for government and local authority restrictions amongst some elements of the public, you could be forgiven as a professional sportsperson for thinking why is life for me so different? Ridiculously crowded public beaches, illegal raves, mass protests, tower block parties - with authorities seemingly unable or unwilling to intervene - yet our sports teams have to demonstrate a level of compliance from a different world. It all seems to be about those who are easiest to govern being required to set an example. I don't think the amount Jofra Archer's fine has been made public but I would guess the cost of being made an example of was not trivial.
It's different for them because they are in the public eye. Their behaviour reflects on their employers and their employers want to be seen to be acting when someone steps out of line - otherwise the next day the news is "Leicester Tigers condone Manu breaking Covid rules". On the other hand, if Mrs Jones next door breaks the rules, no one notices, no one cares and no one even knows who her employer is.
I agree it is about perception and image.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

A result of circumstances.Understandable.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Why do players have to travel on two coaches? Team coaches are large airy vehicles, if the journey's were made by public transport all they would have to do is wear a mask. Travel on separate coaches to maintain social distancing, then later spend eighty minutes binding tightly onto each other or lying on top of one another?
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

johnthegriff wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:57 am Why do players have to travel on two coaches? Team coaches are large airy vehicles, if the journey's were made by public transport all they would have to do is wear a mask. Travel on separate coaches to maintain social distancing, then later spend eighty minutes binding tightly onto each other or lying on top of one another?
Haven't they done a study where it is shown that rugby players are only in close contact with other individuals for a fraction of the 80 mins? Obviously some positions will have higher times but I doubt many of the backs spend that much time near someone when you add it up. A 4 hour coach ride to Exeter in a coach with 40 people is much more risky than standing out on the wing...
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:20 am
johnthegriff wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:57 am Why do players have to travel on two coaches? Team coaches are large airy vehicles, if the journey's were made by public transport all they would have to do is wear a mask. Travel on separate coaches to maintain social distancing, then later spend eighty minutes binding tightly onto each other or lying on top of one another?
Haven't they done a study where it is shown that rugby players are only in close contact with other individuals for a fraction of the 80 mins? Obviously some positions will have higher times but I doubt many of the backs spend that much time near someone when you add it up. A 4 hour coach ride to Exeter in a coach with 40 people is much more risky than standing out on the wing...
Viral Load x Exposure time = Infection Risk (basic epidemiological 'equation')
Hence the coach is far more risky than the rugby in the open air, especially if the coach has aircon without viral filters.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
AngusMcCoatup
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by AngusMcCoatup »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:20 am
Ah nothing like an open topped double decker to Exeter, just look at the views down the M5. :smt027
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!