Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3

Post by Scott1 »

Thanks ABC
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

ABClub wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:23 pmRadwan re-signed with Falcons long term. He'd have been my first choice youngster to sign with May leaving. Along with Rees-Zammit I think Radwan is one of the best wing talents around.

Purdy has signed an extension at Bristol.

Spittle, Ryan Hutler (Bedford), David Williams (former Tigers academy wing at Nottinghmam), Kwaka Asiedu (with Ampthill and has played for the A-team) are just a few good wingers in the Championship though.
Hadn’t heard of a number of these until they were mentioned in here, so had a quick look at some highlight reels yesterday, and there are some talents there.
Looking at the losses, May, Holmes and Thompstone, there is perhaps a need for definitely two, if not three replacements. Nadolo is one, beyond that I’d be happy with a proven option plus a Championship punt. Id assume that should shave a bit of cash from the budget.
I’d rather someone who can potentially also cover fullback, so our back three options become a bit more rounded. Blommetjies did a decent job when on loan, not sure if he’s available. The other name thrown on here a few days back was the possibility that Metuisela Talebula was out of contract, also Kini Murimurivalu I believe. One of the above with a championship project would work nicely.
Of the Championship options, Asiedu stands out on sheer physicality, could be a good understudy to learn from Nadolo. I do think we were at our best with a physical ball carrier our wide. Tuilagi and Goneva just kept people occupied by presence alone at times.
It did read in the comments from Murphy yesterday that there is more than one back three player to be announced.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Spittle plus Blommitijies would do nicely. But is there the space for that? True May, Holmes and Thompstone (rumoured not confirmed as far as I know) are all leaving but we have two very good back 3 players coming up in Browning and Steward plus Olowofela who is getting better. Maybe just one more back three player? Hopefully we will find out in the next few weeks.

I would like to avoid another situation which we had in 2017/18 which we are only just recovering from is the overload of signing backs over forwards. However I’m confident the Triumvirate of Borthwick, McGinty and Murphy will avoid this and recruitment has already shown that we are long pass the days of the Glynn/O’Connor squad.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

So if we were playing this weekend?
Genge
Youngs
Cole
Green
Lavinini
Liebenberg
Taufua
Brink
Youngs
Ford
Nadolo
Scott
Tuilagi
Olowefela
Veainu

That's scarily good tbf!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

1.Genge 2.Mamukashvili 3.Cole 4.Lavanini 5.Green 6.Liebenberg 7.Taufua 8.Brink
9.Youngs 10.Ford 11.Nadolo 12.Scott 13.Tuilagi 14.Veainu 15.Steward

16.Youngs 17.Leatigaga 18.Heyes 19.Wells 20.Reffell 21.White 22.Hardwick 23.Olowofela

Mamukashvili and Scott are improvements in two of our three weakest positions this season in my opinion. Second row would be the other in that list of weakest positions so that's the area I'm most concerned about for remaining signings.

1. Second row - A step up on Spencer to partner Lavanini
2. Number 8 - Ideally another back row to replace Kalamafoni is in the works
3. Wing - An experienced winger such as Lewington and a Championship flyer would fit well
4. Prop - I really hope that Gigena re-signs to keep the impressive depth on both sides of the scrum

On the whole I'm very happy with where recruitment has gone in the last two seasons. A step-up in class at second row is vital for the packs balance though in my opinion.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Like it ABC!
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

ABClub wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:54 pm 1.Genge 2.Mamukashvili 3.Cole 4.Lavanini 5.Green 6.Liebenberg 7.Taufua 8.Brink
9.Youngs 10.Ford 11.Nadolo 12.Scott 13.Tuilagi 14.Veainu 15.Steward

16.Youngs 17.Leatigaga 18.Heyes 19.Wells 20.Reffell 21.White 22.Hardwick 23.Olowofela

Mamukashvili and Scott are improvements in two of our three weakest positions this season in my opinion. Second row would be the other in that list of weakest positions so that's the area I'm most concerned about for remaining signings.

1. Second row - A step up on Spencer to partner Lavanini
2. Number 8 - Ideally another back row to replace Kalamafoni is in the works
3. Wing - An experienced winger such as Lewington and a Championship flyer would fit well
4. Prop - I really hope that Gigena re-signs to keep the impressive depth on both sides of the scrum

On the whole I'm very happy with where recruitment has gone in the last two seasons. A step-up in class at second row is vital for the packs balance though in my opinion.
That looks a pretty decent view of where we are at.
As a question on the second row situation, with the limitations on fielding overseas players (non Kolpak), with Mamukashvili and Lavanini in the team, would that impact us in signing (and then fielding) Alemanno or Mikautadze, as two quality second rows available. If so, are we going to have to look at potentially a homegrown option, or South African or Pacific Islander? Or at least someone with an eligible passport. Would this affect Gigena also??

In the back row, I’m a bit torn now. I still think we need another body there, some additional physicality. Perhaps depends on whether Taufua is seen as a 7, or was merely filling in last year and is more likely to be used at 6/8 as he was for Crusaders, if so maybe a 7 is needed to compete with Reffell. If Taufua is staying at 7, then we need an 8, or 6/8 given Liebenberg can also slot across to 8. However, someone suggested the other day looking at Boladau and Coghlan on dual registration, as we have Lavin, Gough & Smith all within the squad.

I agree, I think one high quality winger now is pretty important, so in a new signing and Nadolo, we would have at least replaced two starter quality (May & Holmes) with another two of genuine quality. Then add a project option to replace the depth of having lost Thompstone too.

Prop. I suppose a lot depends on Gigena’s situation, maybe also the foreign player issue too as stated above. I wouldn’t be against trying to get Mulipola back for a year or so until some of our development props are ready. Knows the club, knows many of the players still, possibly be cheaper now, and the the possibility of having both him and Leatigaga able to play both sides allows us greater flexibility within the cap.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Quins after PSDT,other clubs too. Be out of our price range at present I expect
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Scott1 wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 10:24 am Quins after PSDT,other clubs too. Be out of our price range at present I expect
He would 100% be a marquee player, I would imagine he would be demanding around £400k+
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

kpj tiger wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 10:32 am
Scott1 wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 10:24 am Quins after PSDT,other clubs too. Be out of our price range at present I expect
He would 100% be a marquee player, I would imagine he would be demanding around £400k+
I expect Spencer,GT and Kala would come to that but it would be a dangerous move squad numbers wise.
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

In case people are wondering who PSDT is, I’m pretty certain they mean Pieter-Steph du Toit.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

kpj tiger wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 10:32 am
And the rest KPJ, there were figures of £700k being banded about when it was muted earlier in the season
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

That told me :smt005
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Also apparently wants to wait till after the lions tour to move.
Manu out of contract around then also.

Who knows.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Has Kruis signed on in Japan do you know RB?