Leicester Tigers 2016/17 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread 4

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: Leicester Tigers 2016/17 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread

Post by RagingBull »

I think Ryan is quite a Exeter/Saracens type signing if i'm being honest.

Not saying he would get into there squad but in terms of flankers they tend to go for players like him.
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

I am not saying he isn't a good signing as I think he could be..it is just disappointing how long we have gone now without any international standard backrow players..arguably the most important part of any first xv in the modern game
TheRock

Post by TheRock »

JackFlashJonny wrote:I am not saying he isn't a good signing as I think he could be..it is just disappointing how long we have gone now without any international standard backrow players..arguably the most important part of any first xv in the modern game
All of Exeter's back rowers have a grand total of 4 international caps between them. The only international in there is Waldrom, the last of his caps came 5 years ago.
Armand may get capped in the summer but you could say mike Williams was similarly close to getting capped in the six nations/ autumn.
This is assuming Dennis as a second row which was where he played in the final.

edit : forgot about Tom Johnson who got 8 England caps but he has barely played this season
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

TheRock wrote:
edit : forgot about Tom Johnson who got 8 England caps but he has barely played this season
and now retired.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/40121220

The things is the back row is much more competitive if Manu is fit, up against backs he can cause mayhem on his own, actually he is a handful for most forwards.
It really changes the dynamics of the breakdown when he is playing.
SirGordonRamsey

Post by SirGordonRamsey »

Ryan seems to be a good find, MOC knowing him from leinster days. A few choice highlight on youtube aswell.

JB from the Rugby Dungeon recently had the CEO of Newcastle Falcons on, who suggested majority of players acquired in June are 'leftovers' as they've not been snapped up.
Egg Chasers Rugby Podcast: 'Tigers Jeresy, its like getting into an E Type Jag'
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

JackFlashJonny wrote:
strawclearer wrote:
strawclearer wrote:So, thinking of the back row, are we saying...

6 Williams, McCaffrey, Fenner

7 O'Connor, Evans, Thacker

8 Kalamafoni, Hamilton

...with Tuilagi and Mapapalangi possibly in the mix? and Tom Croft leaving?

Looks pretty impressive to me - particularly with Locky, Brendan and Luke all able to play across the piece.
So - to revise - thinking of the back row, are we saying...

6 Williams, Ryan, Fenner

7 O'Connor, Evans, Thacker

8 Kalamafoni, Hamilton, McCaffrey

...with Tuilagi and Mapapalangi possibly in the mix? and Tom Croft surely now leaving?

Looks pretty impressive to me - particularly with Locky, Brendan, Ryan and Luke all able to play across the piece.
It looks very well stocked yes but lacking on top end quality...how many of those listed would get in our competitors Wasps, Exeter or Saracens first choice backrow? Struggling to think of any really...
How many of the Exeter backrow would walk into the Wasps or Sarries team? Probably none. They still won the league.

Wiki has Ryan at 6ft4 and just a smidge under 17 stone. He's a big, mobile and physical player he'll add some bite to our breakdown defence. We're developing some backrow options that'll make us very hard to play against. We already have a tight five that'll do the job.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

I think Ryan,Ford and Holmes are excellent signings but for me the jury is still out on Kalamafoni. I've long been an admirer of Ryan and he is only kept out of the current Full Irish team because of a gentleman called Peter Mahoney who must rank close to being the world's best in that position. Ford and Holmes will give strength in depth to the back line and we now have 4 potential fullbacks with Veianu Tait Holmes and Worth.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Quality 10 and 12? Still no answers.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
TheRock

Post by TheRock »

jgriffin wrote:Quality 10 and 12? Still no answers.
Didn't realise there was a rule saying we had to announce all new signings on one day.

Don't think we're gonna sign another 10. More likely a couple of centres, allowing Toomua to play 10 if need be.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Noddy555 wrote:I think Ryan,Ford and Holmes are excellent signings but for me the jury is still out on Kalamafoni. I've long been an admirer of Ryan and he is only kept out of the current Full Irish team because of a gentleman called Peter Mahoney who must rank close to being the world's best in that position. Ford and Holmes will give strength in depth to the back line and we now have 4 potential fullbacks with Veianu Tait Holmes and Worth.
Last season Kalamafoni was Glaws player of the season. This year he's mostly been injured. A summer off should see him fit and ready to go and hopefully we'll see him back in 2015/16 form.
jgriffin wrote:Quality 10 and 12? Still no answers.
Well we've got two international options at 10 in Ford and Toomua. Joe Ford is a credible third choice, he's experienced and is a reliable kicker. I'm hoping he'll be a Staunton style signing and be a solid but unspectacular squad player.

I suspect we'll get more signing news in the coming weeks. There were no Dom Ryan rumours before he signed so we could well have some backs lined up from left field though I doubt another 10 will arrive.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Griff cam't understand your comment about quality 10 and 12 still needed. If Toomua regains full match fitness there's your quality 12 and surely George Ford with his many England caps has to be rated a quality 10. Unless of course you were referring to the lack of quality back up in these positions. I myself am looking forward to the following back row:

15, Veianu. 14. Thompstone. 13.Tuilagi. 12.Toomua. 11.Pietersen. 10.Ford. and
9. Burns.

Now that I would rate against any other line up in the Aviva.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Noddy555 wrote:Griff cam't understand your comment about quality 10 and 12 still needed. If Toomua regains full match fitness there's your quality 12 and surely George Ford with his many England caps has to be rated a quality 10. Unless of course you were referring to the lack of quality back up in these positions. I myself am looking forward to the following back row:

15, Veianu. 14. Thompstone. 13.Tuilagi. 12.Toomua. 11.Pietersen. 10.Ford. and
9. Burns.

Now that I would rate against any other line up in the Aviva.
At times Noddy, I wonder how much you have been drinking????? - a "back row" of 7 players and one of them called Burns????? you are a very funny guy when you are not being serious - hehehehehehe
Hehehehehehehehe
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

I think we could be pleasantly surprised by Joe Ford. :smt001
Knightonian

Post by Knightonian »

Anyone remember when Ryan Lamb was one of the better summer recruits...

Joe Ford can only succeed.
murphy15
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by murphy15 »

Knightonian wrote:Anyone remember when Ryan Lamb was one of the better summer recruits...
DON'T YOU SAY THAT NAME *shudder*
Ka mate, ka mate! Ka ora! ka ora!
Ka mate! Ka mate! Ka ora! Ka ora!
Tçnei te tangata pûhuruhuru
Nâna nei i tiki mai whakawhiti te râ
A upa ... ne! ka upa ... ne!
A upane kaupane whiti te ra!