Championship

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Re: Championship

Post by strawclearer »

Noddy555 wrote:For LE18 if I were you I should consult my atlas again Worcester is not west country and last time I looked Exeter was in Devon which is in the South West of England! Dumbkopf!
It's actually 'dummkopf' - meaning blockhead, stupid person, fool, simpleton, idiot or ass. I'm saying nothing...I'm keeping well out of this one! :smt026
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Well looky here.... it seems the Championship play-offs may be scrapped....

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Bristol-Ru ... story.html
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Roly wrote:Well looky here.... it seems the Championship play-offs may be scrapped....

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Bristol-Ru ... story.html
As well as the points made in the article, if there was a stand out team in the Championship, they could start planning their recruitment a bit earlier and stand a better chance of getting decent players who fit into their system.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Surely they agree that it is a pointless system in the Premiership too. You could have a stand out team all season who finish top by 30 points, for example and then lose in the play offs.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

ellis9 wrote:Surely they agree that it is a pointless system in the Premiership too. You could have a stand out team all season who finish top by 30 points, for example and then lose in the play offs.
Definitely not and for the reasons I have frequently said before. Such as, it is often difficult to be a stand out team all season when you are losing between a third and half your first choice players in the AIs and 6Ns, while other teams do not lose any. The AP clubs felt that they could not stop playing completely during the international windows as fans would fall out of the habit of going to club games, so this compromise was reached. Which also gives the season a fixed climax and fleeces some fans out of more money (or am I being too cynical :smt003).

Now, if the possible re-jig of the global calendar stops, or significantly reduces, this situation, I would happily see the end of the play-offs. However, this would then put pressure on clubs to win every game, making it more difficult to blood youngsters, although it would be the same for everyone.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Were Saracens not a stand out team this season?

They lost players during international periods etc and stayed top all season apart from 1 week.

You could say if you finish top after all that, you deserve to be winners.
darganj
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by darganj »

ellis9 wrote:Were Saracens not a stand out team this season?

They lost players during international periods etc and stayed top all season apart from 1 week.

If there were no playoffs in the Prem, then teams with loads of internationals would get heavily penalised.

Therefore the incentive to produce English players would be negligible as richer clubs wouldn't care about EQP payments and go for seasoned foreign pros to win the league.

It would be an absolute disaster and never going to happen
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

darganj wrote:
ellis9 wrote:Were Saracens not a stand out team this season?

If there were no playoffs in the Prem, then teams with loads of internationals would get heavily penalised.

Therefore the incentive to produce English players would be negligible as richer clubs wouldn't care about EQP payments and go for seasoned foreign pros to win the league.

It would be an absolute disaster and never going to happen
And on that sort of note it is interesting that Saracens, Wasps and Wuss all failed to reach the average number of EQP players in the 23 this season.

Sarries Lost a fair amount to the 6N's and RWC mind.
Last edited by RagingBull on Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Saracens still topped the league though they had loads of players missing throughout the season and still finished top, won the play offs and the Champions Cup.

Don't get me wrong, I have accepted the play offs are here to stay and realise that finishing top is pointless but I'm playing devils advocate. You go through a tough season, lose players and still finish top and then have to play 2 matches to prove you are the champions. When you read it like this, it does sound bad.
darganj
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by darganj »

ellis9 wrote:Saracens still topped the league though they had loads of players missing throughout the season and still finished top, won the play offs and the Champions Cup.

Don't get me wrong, I have accepted the play offs are here to stay and realise that finishing top is pointless but I'm playing devils advocate. You go through a tough season, lose players and still finish top and then have to play 2 matches to prove you are the champions. When you read it like this, it does sound bad.
That reads perfectly to me. Prem rugby is a breeding ground for the England team and you don't often get to the World Cup Final with your full XV out. The more winner takes all games the Prem players play, better for England.

I also am adding:

Henry Slade's temperament got brutally exposed in Prem final, I don't think he will be a long term starter for England. Bench cover.

10 - Farrell/Slade/Ford
12- Tuilagi/Te'o (And to be honest I think Te'o will become 1st choice with Manu always breaking down)
13- Joseph/Daly
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

darganj wrote:
ellis9 wrote:Saracens still topped the league though they had loads of players missing throughout the season and still finished top, won the play offs and the Champions Cup.

That reads perfectly to me. Prem rugby is a breeding ground for the England team and you don't often get to the World Cup Final with your full XV out. The more winner takes all games the Prem players play, better for England.

I also am adding:

Henry Slade's temperament got brutally exposed in Prem final, I don't think he will be a long term starter for England. Bench cover.

10 - Farrell/Slade/Ford
12- Tuilagi/Te'o (And to be honest I think Te'o will become 1st choice with Manu always breaking down)
13- Joseph/Daly
One bad game doesn't make Slade a non-starter in the future - I'd think he will replace Ford in the pecking order before too long. Jones has alluded to his ambition for Slade before - where he plays him is his biggest problem.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
darganj
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by darganj »

Roly wrote:
darganj wrote:

I also am adding:

10 - Farrell/Slade/Ford
13- Joseph/Daly
One bad game doesn't make Slade a non-starter in the future - I'd think he will replace Ford in the pecking order before too long. Jones has alluded to his ambition for Slade before - where he plays him is his biggest problem.
Hence why I put Slade in front of Ford in the order of 10s.......

Dont think he will start though unless Faz goes down. He isnt quick enough to be an international 13 and I don't think he is robust enough to be a 12.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Slade would be a gamble, but worth it I think. Farrell plays best with a creative 12 outside him and would be wasted at IC where he's obviously not sufficiently able to play the position at the very very highest level. Now Slade has not hit great form since his injury but does have the necessary talent to work the situation both in attack and defence, swapping with Burrell as required.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

I hope the rumour about the championship play offs being scrapped is true, although I would still like to see a two up two down system between the premiership and the championship.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Some poor memories on here, the payoffs were introduced because we had the season won by Christmas one year and the majority of the teams whinged there was nothing to play for. Nothing to do with AI's or the 6 nations, that became a common held opinion later.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.