Marcos Ayerza

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

DickyP
Super User
Super User

Marcos Ayerza

Post by DickyP »

I apologize if this has been raised before but I couldn't find any reference when I searched the forum, but in the commentary on the LI match on premiership rugby tv they said that Marcus has made himself unavailable for Argentina by electing to stay at Leicester as from now on players will only be selected if they play for Super Rugby franchises.

Good news for Tigers, of course.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: Marcus Ayerza

Post by RagingBull »

Yep.

He said that it would be the case last season.

We should have him for 3 hopefully uninterrupted years.

By which time he will be 35/36, and prob starting to look at getting into scrum coaching.

A brilliant club man.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

We've had some great props and he must rank amongst the best, should he stay at Tigers, sure he'd enable us to recruit the worlds finest who would then be trained by him. He's not just a scrummaging machine either, great all round modern player.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

A huge boost for next season with him having a proper pre-season and being available for the opening rounds. We've not had that for years from him.

Definitely one of the all time greats of this club. I had him in at letter A when I picked my greatest XV for Cool As Leicester that I posted here a while back. My current favourite player and a key man for us - more than people realise.
Crumbie Deeks

Post by Crumbie Deeks »

Couldn't agree more Iain, great player not just in the scrummaging sense either always has a high tackle rate. We're a much poorer team when he doesn't play.
:smt023
PAW

Post by PAW »

I cant imagine how the refs will cope when he retires.
Who will give them the long & technical explanations on the pitch as to what is actually happening in the scrums?
When his retirement does start to come into view, I hope we can sign him up as a scrum coach.
dunks43

Post by dunks43 »

From what he has said in the past is that he set up a business , something to do with horse feed which he is developing for after he finishes playing. Apparantly it is very succesfull
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

dunks43 wrote:From what he has said in the past is that he set up a business , something to do with horse feed which he is developing for after he finishes playing. Apparantly it is very succesfull
Truly a great servant to the Club. IIRC he was doing a Business Studies degree but not sure if he graduated.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Shows just why I'm proud to wear my Marcos testimonial shirt. My Favourite!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

Anyone who saw his attempted speech after his testimonial game against Los Pumas will know how he feels about the club. We truly are privileged.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

Crumbie Deeks makes a very good point.........you almost don't notice how good he is until he is not playing!!
Personally, I'd like to see Marcus become a referee when he retires from playing....then the scrum would be sorted.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

L Smith wrote:Anyone who saw his attempted speech after his testimonial game against Los Pumas will know how he feels about the club. We truly are privileged.
Manly tears were shed.
Dominichi
Tiger Cub

Post by Dominichi »

A top bloke as well.

Bumped into him last year after he had demolished the London Irish scrum (IIRC) by lifting another International prop off his feet. Felt the need to declare my admiration for everything he had done for the club - and he was genuinely interested about me and my association with the club which dates nearly 40 years.

Feel we might never see the likes of Marcos again so let's treasure him whilst we can!
Crumblies
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Marcos Ayerza

Post by Crumblies »

The members of MAAS (The Marcos Ayerza Appreciation Society) Fully concur and endorse the sentiments expressed in this thread.

Sometimes there are players, not Leicester Born & Bred, that earn their stripes the hard way, by quiet unassuming hard work, ability and adoption of all that our beloved Tigers stands for.

When they retire they deserve all the accolades we as supporters can bestow. Marcos is one such player along with Geordan. I'm sure when the time comes there won't be a dry eye in the house. Hopefully the powers that be will ensure OUR Marcos continues to be part of the Tigers family for a very long time to come.

Like you Big Dai I treasure my Marcos Testimonial Shirt and wear it with pride.
dunks43

Re: Marcos Ayerza

Post by dunks43 »