Hartley must be next England captain!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Re: Hartley must be next England captain!

Post by Soggypitch »

Will S wrote:I've not got a problem with his history. I just think it is very harsh on OTY, JG and all the other English hookers with international ambitions. Selecting DH as captain is basically saying the rest are competing for a spot on the bench. It is not as though DH is the run away front runner at hooker. My favoured position for captain is lock or back row. Here positions are slightly more up for grabs (if the captain is a lock there is still one other lock position to play for) and you are more likely to have your captain on the field for the full 80.

I still think that for 2015 we should pick on a game by game basis. Builds a core of leaders and hopefully an individual will rise to the top.
Completely agree.
Soggypitch
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Will S wrote:I've not got a problem with his history. I just think it is very harsh on OTY, JG and all the other English hookers with international ambitions. Selecting DH as captain is basically saying the rest are competing for a spot on the bench. It is not as though DH is the run away front runner at hooker. My favoured position for captain is lock or back row. Here positions are slightly more up for grabs (if the captain is a lock there is still one other lock position to play for) and you are more likely to have your captain on the field for the full 80.

I still think that for 2015 we should pick on a game by game basis. Builds a core of leaders and hopefully an individual will rise to the top.
Spot on.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Maidman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Maidman »

Largely agree with this too. Is is disruptive to a team to have a different captain each game? Happy that different players get a go, but suspect some consistency might be useful, and it might be better for someone to grow into the role a bit. But using the 6N as an opportunity to try a few things out feels like a sensible plan.
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

Problem is England don't really have anyone nailed on in any position. When Johnno was captain he would've been first name on the team sheet even if he wasn't. There is no one in the England side currently who's in that position.
Bowden Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bowden Tiger »

Itoje and Slater both have captaincy experience. Both have a good future, barring injuries, and both should be around for 2019.
However, we seem to be forgetting that a good captain counsels his senior players, as with MJ. The 2003 team was full of leaders, something regretfully missing from the current team.
Mat
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mat »

Hartley as captain would be a kick in the teeth for tom who has been Awsome this yeAr and was one of the few England players who stood up well in the WC. however what a great way to make a statement of intent to move on from Lancaster. I think give him the 6 nations as captain to see if we can get a bit of nasty edge back in the pack. We always had that edge. We have been too nice in the last 4 years. He is also technically very sound. Johnson Dal Back etc often got cards because they pushed it to the edge.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

why all the rush to pick a captain?????? Surely EJ should pick his training squad and observe how they react in training before choosing his captain whether it is on a match by match basis or a tournament by tournament basis. Yes listen to club coaches, players and your back room staff but you need to see how they react to your training methods and how the rest of the squad reacts to the short list you have in your mind before making a decision
Hehehehehehehehe
rocktop51
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rocktop51 »

DH captain? Over my dead body which hopefully has a few miles left !
Hambo :- He was with England when he was injured, but he was a Tigers player, our player. He is still our player.”
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

How can Jones pick a player to be captain who not only can't get into the side if it's selected on a form basis but who is even struggling to hold down the hooker's spot at his own club, if it weren't for the warped minds of the RFU then this situation would be unbelievable.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

How can Jones pick a player to be captain who not only can't get into the side if it's selected on a form basis but who is even struggling to hold down the hooker's spot at his own club, if it weren't for the warped minds of the RFU then this situation would be unbelievable.
Maidman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Maidman »

Noddy555 wrote:How can Jones pick a player to be captain who not only can't get into the side if it's selected on a form basis but who is even struggling to hold down the hooker's spot at his own club, if it weren't for the warped minds of the RFU then this situation would be unbelievable.

. . . . . . and back into the real world! The Hartley bashing is fair enough, but let's try and get some facts straight! Hartley is injured, and isn't playing or making the match day squad because of his injury.

Some Saints fans may think Haywood is better than Hartley, but it certainly isn't all of them. I know a few Saints fans (I'm sure we all do) and whilst they may be a bit fed up with Hartley's antics, and whilst they may rate Haywood, they would all pick Hartley ahead of any other hooker at Saints or most other places come to that.

Eddie Jones has got to be a fairly smart guy, I suspect he has enjoyed more success in rugby than any of us? He hasn't picked Hartlety for captain yet, but if he does, he will have his reasons.

Phew. Rant over. Must drink less coffee!
Maidman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Maidman »

trendylfj wrote:why all the rush to pick a captain?????? Surely EJ should pick his training squad and observe how they react in training before choosing his captain whether it is on a match by match basis or a tournament by tournament basis. Yes listen to club coaches, players and your back room staff but you need to see how they react to your training methods and how the rest of the squad reacts to the short list you have in your mind before making a decision
I think you are absolutely right. I think all we actually know is that Hartley is being considered. I think it is far from a done deal. EJ hardly seems likely to pick a player as captain if he isn't certain of making the squad whether due to injuries or form.
nasher

Post by nasher »

Has Jones picked the captain or is it the London centric press who if the cannot have Robshaw then they want Hartley or just a way to fill column inches. The best solution is the Aussie one - pick the side then the captain not the other way round.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

nasher wrote:The best solution is the Aussie one - pick the side then the captain not the other way round.
Absolutely not. What happens if none of the best players are captain material? Headless chickens, especially when the going gets tough. If, and it's a big if, you have a player who is the best, or one of the best in his position and is good captaincy material, you choose him. Some other selections will also be influenced by the captains capabilities.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Jamie George played another blinder this weekend, picking a brilliant line to score a try which, as the commentators observed, Hartley couldn't do. JG scrummages better and is in the form of his life. Hartley may have the aggression that England lack, but how much of that was down to the coaching culture? There are better hookers than Hartley.

Pick the squad, the team and then the captain.
Valhalla I am coming!