Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Anthony Allen, has been forced to announce his retiremen

Post by JackFlashJonny »

Surely Wynard is his replacement??

All the best Allen you have been a great player and we thank you for your contribution to the Tigers over the years..

Good luck in whatever you do :smt023
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Absolutely gutted for him and the team, we have now lost the 2 most regularly influential players from the last few seasons IMO (Salvi being the other)

I think its pretty fair to see he was the glue that held our backline together, he did a great job of keeping Manu in check defensively whilst giving his all so nobody made a yard running down the 12 channel, also it always seemed to me our attacking play was better with him in the side (who can forget that try against Bath or his attacking display in the final against Saints)

Its almost criminal he didn't get another proper chance with England, I think its fair to say probably the most underrated premiership player for several seasons?

Only one thing to say now, Thanks Ant!
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

Of all the players in the Premiership I'd pick to replace Allen, it would be George Lowe rather than Brad Barritt. He's recently moved to 12 at Quins having played his early days as a winger and then outside centre. Since picking up a couple of injuries he's lost an edge of pace and moved inside to 12. From being a pacy, attacking player he's converted himself into a defensive lynchpin. He's spent most of last season baby-sitting Matt Hopper at 13, a player whose defensive skills make Manu look like, well... Brad Barritt.

He's still got a step and I'd say he's still quicker than Allen was, but he's got exactly the same kind of defensive organizer role for Quins and tackles his heart out.

He's also looking at being replaced at inside centre by Jamie Roberts. I reckon Tigers could do great things with a guy like Lowe, without having to break the bank on a SH import who would be a risk in the Premiership (as some don't take to it so well).

Barritt would bring all of Allen's defensive qualities and more, but he's completely anonymous going forwards. We need a bit of incision in our backline. Not a Barritt.
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

Whoever comes in to replace him will have a job on his hands to match Allen. He just seemed to 'get' Tigers, holding our backline, and defence, together.

Best of luck in the future.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

One thing that I regularly noticed was the sheer speed with which he would get up after being involved in one tackle and get back in the defensive line. No way could he be pinged for "lazy running".

Another player who looked to be in the doldrums at his previous club but who took the opportunity offered him at Tigers with both hands and became one of our best players. His influence was most noticed when he was not playing, and not just last season.

Good luck in whatever you do Ant :smt023
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

A great shame to be forced out when he should have been at his prime. In the same league as the Kiwis Gibson and Mauger as the backs looked so much better when they played. Hopefully he will have a future in coaching as have Gibson and Mauger, Cockers hinting at the possibility of a job at Tigers in the future in the Merc article. http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Leice ... story.html

Good luck in the future Anthony, we're going to miss you on the pitch, let's hope there will be a position at Tigers. You're too good for the game to lose your talents.
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Still feel Olivier is Allen's replacement, and the marquee spot remains available.
Shame though, unspectacular yet hugely effective. The type of player all successful sides need, the glue that holds the big guns together.
Dave J
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Dave J »

I remember being seriously underwhelmed when Tigers announced his signing, thinking of the slight and ineffective player he'd become at Glaws, now totally gutted that he will never wear a Tigers shirt again. Completely resurrected his career with Tigers and should have gained many more England caps. Credit should also go to the coaching staff who must have had a big job restoring his confidence.

Good luck AA in whatever you do, hopefully at WR in some capacity.
A citizen of hope and glory
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Interesting to see the comments on twitter for example
Brian O'Driscoll retweeted Brendan gallagher
Real quality player. Should have gotten 40 caps. Very intelligent reader of play. Sad to see.

Clearly highly rated by his peers.
smalldell
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by smalldell »

Yes a truly sad day

His indefinable ability is (I use the word deliberately because I hope we can continue to tap into it) something that goes unseen often but you know its there.

I used to call him its safe to go on holiday man!
When you leave for holiday you check and recheck everything but with AA playing players can just get on with their game because they know AA will make it work.

Best to him and his family and despite not being able to offer every ex player a position I hope something can be sorted as long as he is happy with it.
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

He is a good player with a great attitude and he will be missed. Good luck Ant. Wish you all the best.
MPG

Post by MPG »

Without doubt in my view one of the Tigers Greats - not only for his attacking play and defensive organisation that assisted so many others (Manu to name but one) but his defence as well. He was a fantastic organiser and link to the backs with great distribution skills that we so sorely missed last season - again in my view more of a loss than Manu.

He was also no doubt a top bloke - as evidenced by the comments from those that knew him best - the players he played with and also those against.

He is Tiger through and through - wish him and his family all the very best for the future and hope to see him forging a career still involving the Tigers in some capacity - they will be BIG boots to fill.

No way would Barritt be the answer - solid defence but lacking the same distribution skills and almost non-existent in creative attacking play.
Maximus66

Post by Maximus66 »

Thanks to the club for quickly putting up a snapshot/video of Anthony's time at Tigers http://www.leicestertigers.com/matchday ... a&id=21234

This being close season, it is unlikely we will get a chance to show our appreciation of the skills he has shown over the years, but I for one always felt a sense of relief whenever he returned from injury.
It would have been nice to see what sort of centre pairing Allen and Tait would have made!

All the best for the future Anthony :smt023
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Very sad news indeed for one of Tigers best ever in terms of service and commitment, should have had many more international caps than those he obtained. A true gentleman in the best sense of the word and an inspiration to youngsters. Too have to retire at a comparatively early age is very sad indeed and he will be hugely missed by fellow players and fans alike. I wish him well for the future.
Bundy

Post by Bundy »

Absolutely gutted - a true gent and Tiger on and off the field and one of the most underrated players in the country who deserved many more caps. We now have big shoes to fill in an already sparse midfield (as far as we know?!)

Cheers Ant for everything :smt023