Kings of the North

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Re: Kings of the North

Post by mightymouse »

Leaving aside the ridiculous name and the unashamed exploitation of the Richard III legacy (by the way, get used to that, I saw a Richard 3rd burger and pint for a fiver in a restaurant window the other day!)..................actually a 6 game competition for our non internationals and development lads against 2 worthy clubs is not such a bad idea.

These clubs are 2 with good intent at developing good young talent because they both have decent DORs in charge - indeed given a few years I would anticipate both these clubs challenging at the top table, so I do not think we should be too sniffy. True it does not have the juiciness of a Northampton, Wasps, bath or Sarries fixture but could be just what we need to develop young guys and bed in new guys
chipnchase
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chipnchase »

If the club wanted to do something interesting and get some bodies into Welford Road they could have invite A french Top 14 side (example Racing Metro), A Super Rugby Side (Example Crusaders) and A Japanese Top League side (example Panasonic Wild Cats).

Base them in Leicestershire clubs for say 10 days. and have 3 rounds of 2 games held at Welford Road on A Saturday, Tuesday/Wednesday and a Saturday.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

chipnchase wrote:If the club wanted to do something interesting and get some bodies into Welford Road they could have invite A french Top 14 side (example Racing Metro), A Super Rugby Side (Example Crusaders) and A Japanese Top League side (example Panasonic Wild Cats).

Base them in Leicestershire clubs for say 10 days. and have 3 rounds of 2 games held at Welford Road on A Saturday, Tuesday/Wednesday and a Saturday.
That wouldn't work. They need to cover a bigger period and it would be bad for the players and coaches. Suspect there would be organisational issues involving lots of different national club sides.

At the end of the day these matches are designed to keep domestic competition ticking over before the Prem and ERC can begin.
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

ourla wrote:
All my northern friends think Leicester is in the South. All my southern friends think Leicester is in the North.
So, we must be in the Midlands then ??
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

tigercaspian wrote:
ourla wrote:
All my northern friends think Leicester is in the South. All my southern friends think Leicester is in the North.

:smt023 :smt003
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

tigercaspian wrote:
ourla wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North%E2%8 ... England%29
The status of the Midlands is often disputed

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Midlands
The Midlands does not correspond to any current administrative area, and there is therefore no strict definition.

From our point of view we are most definitely in the Midlands and we are not Northerners or Southerners. But you try telling that to large swathes of the population. Indeed how often have you heard the word Midlander used in an expression or to describe someone?
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Depends if you're talking about England or Britain. If you include Scotland when discussing geography then yorks/lancs is the midlands. England alone and Leics/Notts/Derbs and west mids is the midlands.

North/south depends on who you're talking to as well. Cockneys think the north starts at watford gap and yorkshire men will tell you anything south of sheffield is south. But ask someone from Cumbria what south is.........

In terms of this 'competition', 'North' is just the three most northerly teams in the prem so none of it really matters anyway!! :smt015 :smt015 :smt015
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

I'll buy the three DORs being interested in development, but
1 Could they run the Cathedral off the sparks generated between the three of them, or is the photo actually PhotoShopped?
2 Is this a precursor to an A-league?
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

Is it just me or does anyone else think that any additional games on a plastic pitch is a risk and that we'd have been better off siding up with a team that plays on grass?
Anything we can do to reduce injuries needs to be considered.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
tigerfeet13
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by tigerfeet13 »

TigerLad wrote:Stains and Wasps would have been entertaining and would have made sense. Newcastle and Sale are the least attractive fixtures in the league. If this is an RFU led regional idea, we've been absolutely shafted. Could we not have got Stains and Pests in a midlands league? I'd pay to see that. Although I suppose I am paying for this even if I don't want it.
But Stains and Worcester would be a more traditional midlands competition. :smt026
Rugby Special... Is the Tigers!
AndyM

Post by AndyM »

Have I mis-counted or are season ticket holders getting one less home game next season?
LV Cup = 3 home games
Kings of the North = 2 home games
doublecarpet

Post by doublecarpet »

AndyM wrote:Have I mis-counted or are season ticket holders getting one less home game next season?
LV Cup = 3 home games
Kings of the North = 2 home games
LV is normally 2 no? Sale and Saints this season. The Exeter game was a semi final and therefore not part of the ST.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

We are getting 2 less competitive games, that's all I know!
InGuinnessVeritas
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by InGuinnessVeritas »

ellis9 wrote:We are getting 2 less competitive games, that's all I know!
Are you claiming the matches against Sale and Newcastle won't be competitive?
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Yes that's exactly what I'm suggesting