Hartley gone again!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

snoopster

Re: Hartley gone again!

Post by snoopster »

Tiger_in_Birmingham wrote:
jenks wrote:Dive. No question. Smith has been watching too much Wendy ball. Hartley was wrong but you could see Smith winding him up. We would all have done the same under the heat of the game. Most of the 'holier than thou' posters have obviously never played a competitive contact sport.
Never been hit hard on the nose/chin? Especially when it's rising and driving up into the eyes? Doesn't matter how hard it is or how much damage is done, your knees melt from under you. Smith goes down (you even see his left knee buckle), rolls onto his front and gets up holding his nose within 3 or 4 seconds

Look at one of the last punches Julian threw against Sheridan, he dropped lack a sack but sprang up again, falling over isn't necessarily diving.
Looking at Smith's hands as he goes to ground is interesting - both hands seem to be trying to grab a hold of Hartley's sleeve as he starts to fall.
It looks to me exactly like someone trying to keep themselves up and nothing like someone diving to the ground.
amazing tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by amazing tiger »

just heard on bt that hartley has recived over 25 weeks worth of bans in his career. just about sums him up
jenks

Post by jenks »

Inner chimp maybe. Time to move on guys. You're not used to losing and to be fair we've had far more practice.

Tigers are a formidable club which nobody would deny. :smt038
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

jenks wrote:Inner chimp maybe. Time to move on guys. You're not used to losing and to be fair we've had far more practice.

Tigers are a formidable club which nobody would deny. :smt038
I do feel that is part of the problem in terms of supporters.
Northeast Tiger

Post by Northeast Tiger »

amazing tiger wrote:just heard on bt that hartley has recived over 25 weeks worth of bans in his career. just about sums him up
You heard wrong amazing tiger,. Hartley has had 47 weeks of bans in his career so far!!
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

amazing tiger wrote:just heard on bt that hartley has recived over 25 weeks worth of bans in his career. just about sums him up
Think he's on 47 weeks accumulated so far.

26 week ban for gouging, 8 week ban for biting Steven Ferris whilst playing for England - must be said I felt sorry for him on this one as I believe Ferris was fish-hooking him and I would have done the same - 2weeks for punching Rory Best and 11 weeks for being chopsy in the prem final.

Red card all day IMO.

I think low entry for striking with an elbow is two weeks, which he'll probably get as Doyle was initially mentioning (wrongly IMO) a yellow card, he'll call the panel Sir, wear a suit, and I don't think the disciplinary system has the cajones to give him what he deserves - a long ban.

So what if he misses the 6N and blights his chance at the RWC, it will be his fault alone - repeat offender.

To balance that, I thought the decision to halve Manu's ban for punching Ashton was a joke and stank of the RFU saying we need him for RWC2011, which sent out the wrong message IMO.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Northeast Tiger

Post by Northeast Tiger »

Premiership records
Northampton Saints Leicester Tigers

Titles 1 8

Finals 2 10

Finished top 0 8

:smt030 :smt030
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Have to say the high and mighty attitude some saints fans have is a funny at times.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

jenks wrote: Tell me, when Hartley scores for England, do you boo?
It's only ever happened once... 2010, quite some time (and a couple of bans) ago! I just normally sigh when I see the name on the team sheet, as the SA match proved.

Calum Clark on the other hand seems to understand that he's a lucky man (yes, I think his ban was lenient, but it's what he was given), and seems intent on keeping his nose clean. Fair play to him, although he has to live in the knowledge that he took a guy's career from the verge of the Saxons to moving down the pecking order and leaving for Newcastle.
Doghashadhisday
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Doghashadhisday »

Mallinder saying there was no malice and the Leicester player went down too easily! Maybe Smith should be allowed to demonstrate on Mallinder (without malice) what it feels like to get an elbow in the face.
Red Boots

Post by Red Boots »

From my seat in the Burrda stand it seemed to me that the best way to create holes in a defensive line is for attacking forwards, lying on the ground, to hold onto defending players near to, but not in, the ruck.
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

Hot_Charlie wrote:It's interesting how many people are concentrating on the bloke who got hit in the face falling over rather than the thug that elbowed him - including the Saints' DoR. Interestingly to add fuel to the fire, the English press have stuck to photos of Hartley getting the red card and not the incident (the Irish haven't though: http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/v ... 52389.html)
To be fair, that's partly because the look on Dylan's face is hilarious.

Hot_Charlie wrote: It's also worth noting what happened earlier in the season against London Irish, when a Tigers player didn't react to a punch in the face, and Blair Cowan didn't get the red card he should have received.
Rugby union faces a potential rise in cynical dives and play-acting unless the directives given to referees and television match officials are re-examined, according to Leicester’s director of rugby, Richard Cockerill. The Tigers claim they have been advised by the Rugby Football Union that the punch thrown by London Irish’s Blair Cowan last weekend was not worthy of a card partly because Jamie Gibson, the player he struck, was unhurt.

Cockerill believes such a precedent may encourage players in similar situations to fall in a dramatic heap in order to increase the chances of an opponent being carded. “In law I am told a punch is down to the referee’s interpretation, so the referee will decide whether it is a hard or a soft punch,” said Cockerill. “One of the comments that alarmed me the most is that Gibson didn’t need treatment and didn’t go to the floor. The encouragement would be that, if you get punched, go to the floor, get treatment and the player will get sent off. So now the lawmakers are actually encouraging you to dive. I said that is the thin end of the wedge.”
Not often Cockers can be accused of being a visionary, but he's clearly absolutely spot on here.
jenks

Post by jenks »

Northeast Tiger wrote:Premiership records

Titles 1 8

Finals 2 10

Finished top 0 8

I don't see the point of this post. We all know that Tigers have an enviable record. What upsets other supporters is the arrogance that this has generated.

I am determined not to get into a puerile slanging match here but man, some of you make it difficult.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

jenks wrote:
Northeast Tiger wrote:Premiership records

Titles 1 8

Finals 2 10

Finished top 0 8

I don't see the point of this post. We all know that Tigers have an enviable record. What upsets other supporters is the arrogance that this has generated.

I am determined not to get into a puerile slanging match here but man, some of you make it difficult.
Jenks, take Hartley out of this and the result should have been the same....red card. It was a strike to the face with the hardest bone in the body and I dont have any doubt that it hurt.
This type of action needs to be stamped out of the game and players need to keep their heads.
An East Midlands Derby always has that extra bit of spice and once again it was proved.

Hope you have a nice Christmas!
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
jenks

Post by jenks »

Ok TB. I'm still not convinced that it was anything more than petulance DH's part but as many have pointed out, he should have better self-control. I liked the post from whoever quoted Cockers. No place for play acting to gain advantage. We are all better than that.

We are all looking forward to coming up to WR at the end of Jan and I'm sure it will be another great match - whoever wins.

Have a great Christmas and we will return to do battle once again in the New Year.

:smt023