Toulon away leg

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Re: Toulon away leg

Post by johnthegriff »

Having seen every match this season including all (?) the appearances of Loamanu I cannot help wondering what some fans have seen that I missed. How can people suggest that Matt Smith be dropped after that defensive performance and replaced by someone we frankly know little about in a Tigers team set up.
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

And your evidence for this allegation would be?

Essentially it's the old 'If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and sounds like a duck - it's a duck'. If that wasn't enough the way the forum works confirmed it last week. :smt003
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

johnthegriff wrote:Having seen every match this season including all (?) the appearances of Loamanu I cannot help wondering what some fans have seen that I missed. How can people suggest that Matt Smith be dropped after that defensive performance and replaced by someone we frankly know little about in a Tigers team set up.
I agree. Yes if Manu were fit bring him in, otherwise leave well alone.
Soggypitch
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

Soggypitch wrote:
johnthegriff wrote:Having seen every match this season including all (?) the appearances of Loamanu I cannot help wondering what some fans have seen that I missed. How can people suggest that Matt Smith be dropped after that defensive performance and replaced by someone we frankly know little about in a Tigers team set up.
I agree, some people see a player play one game then want him in.
See Bell for Tait, Thacker for Youngs
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

northerntiger wrote:
Soggypitch wrote:
I agree, some people see a player play one game then want him in.
See Bell for Tait, Thacker for Youngs
There's a difference there. Both Bell and Thacker have played 4 games, including 3 starts. Thacker won 2 MOTM awards and is our second-highest try-scorer. Both played well in multiple appearances.

Loamanu got a 6-minute cameo in the first game of the season and didn't even touch the ball.
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

Loamanu scored against the Babarians...But granted has barely played any rugby and would definitely be a risk I just think Toulon will target Smith at home and with them having a lot more ball I expect we could have some issues there..

I imagine Cockerill will stick with exactly the same XV bar maybe Croft on the bench and hopefully Barberi at 8 instead of JC but that isn't ever going to happen.
Qbec
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Qbec »

To bring anyone into the match day 23 would depend on them already being named in the squad for the European Rugby Champions Cup.
Tigers The Home Of World Class Rugby

11th Premiership Rugby Champions 2022
SPIKE@srufc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by SPIKE@srufc »

Castro has been suspended and will not take part so say "French media"
SPIKE

It's not the winning or losing but the taking apart which matters.
Rykard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rykard »

any news on DA?
cheers
Rich
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

I hope Toulon do target Smith. He is one Tigers player I would rely on to repel all boarders.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

So O'Connor and Halfpenny fit for the weekend.

Suspect Halfpenny will start and O'Connor bench.
TigerLad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TigerLad »

RagingBull wrote:So O'Connor and Halfpenny fit for the weekend.

Suspect Halfpenny will start and O'Connor bench.
Just makes it more of an achievement when we win there. :smt023
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Cockers on RL
No new injuries Croft available

cockers waiting on:
Manu
Bai
Loamanu
Logo
might be fit for the weekend. (Wouldn't bet on it though also he has said that loads of times) but all should be fit in 3-4 weeks defiantly.

Also
Slater out whole season
Deacon Back problem
Heptema and Hamilton both still got knee problems out till into the new year
Doghashadhisday
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Doghashadhisday »

If Croft is fit I would start with him and after 50 minutes bring Gibson on to run amok.
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

If Croft is fit I would start with him and after 50 minutes bring Gibson on to run amok.
Sorry - I can't agree with that. Other way round maybe yes, but Croft is going to have no match fitness. Starting him would be a monster gamble IMO. Would have been the same if Parling had started last week. Players need time to get proper match fitness so 20 mins for Croft at the end would be a decent option for me. The good thing is the 23 are getting stronger by the week now as players return.

Double bad news for us: would prefer Castro playing for them and Halfpenny/O'Connor will improve them. I thought their half-backs were poor last week and Halfpenny will give them a much better kicking option.

I still think we have them in the scrum, line-outs and forwards… so we need to use that to our advantage and build the platform from there. All in all… I was expecting a weekend break to Toulon a few weeks ago with not much emphasis on the rugby… now it is game on and I'd love to be throwing my newspapers up in the air surrounded by all the Frenchies with 5 minutes to go...