Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BJ.
Super User
Super User

Ex-Tiger Will Skinner forced to retire at 29

Post by BJ. »

From the Beeb

That's a helluva shame. He's a good bloke.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Re: Ex-Tiger Will Skinner forced to retire at 29

Post by tigerburnie »

Seems to be more each year, is this just part of the game now, or should the clubs/authorities be looking closer to see if anything can/needs to be done?
He(along with Kohn) have been fine servants to the game.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

What a shame for these guys - it appears that fewer and fewer players' bodies are letting them play on into their mid-thirties. Something has to be done about this; I remember watching an interview with Francois Pienaar about the differences between training foci now and then and it is clear that it's a problem.

In any case, good luck to Ollie and Will with their Hog Roasts and career, respectively!
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

Skin_and_Muscle wrote:Something has to be done about this
But what can be done. Players are getting bigger and that means bigger collisions and a higher likelihood of career ending injuries. Short of putting a time limit on the amount of time players can spend in the gym I dont see how we can do anything about it.
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

kingol22 wrote: Short of putting a time limit on the amount of time players can spend in the gym I dont see how we can do anything about it.
On the nose.
Gate
Super User
Super User

Post by Gate »

Terrible shame. Will is such a nice guy. I understood why Tigers didn't keep him, but I always thought it was unfortunate. Any number of times he would have been just the man we needed at 7.

All the best to him, and to Olly Kohn too.
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

One more:

http://www1.skysports.com/rugby-union/n ... -to-retire

This one is not enforced but it's a retirement of a top player and a good servant to Worcester.

"Physically, I feel I could continue for a few more years. However, an opportunity has been presented to me to look to the future and it truly feels like the time is right for me to make this move.

"I have a health and nutrition business that is rapidly expanding and it is already proving to be hugely successful."

That's a nice thing to hear!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

I blame it on two things:
1 the culture of low-fat, ripped physiques that positively invite muscular and skeletal injuries (that's how Budgie's lasted so long :smt005)
2 the construction and reffing of the free-for-all called the breakdown which IMO accounts for immense numbers of neck, shoulder and knee injuries

Many people rabbit on about the increased speed etc, but I see collisions between dynamic bodies as inherently safer - it is when one body is static or compromised, often the case in the ruck when some oaf dives off their feet to shoulder-barge a static player.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Fond memories of Will Skinner - pity he so much high quality competition for his position when he was at Tigers. Always remember his last second try against Leeds in 2006 to give us a bonus point win when we were losing 19-23 in the 80th minute. I was sat in what is now the Goldsmith's stand (goodness knows what it was called then!) right in front of where he scored, and I've never seen such a collective sigh of relief mixed with cheers.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
MPG

Post by MPG »

Top bloke and great player - unfortunately the now DOR thought he was "too small" - a direct quote from Skins when he told me he was leaving!