Matthew Tait and his injury

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rizzo

Re: Matthew Tait and his injury

Post by Rizzo »

bc wrote:Has Benjamin actually been confirmed as a Tiger next season?

Yes he has been confirmed.

http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/P ... story.html
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

bwightman wrote:
You're talking about the Mathew Tait of 2007 here. The Mathew Tait of 2008-12 has played about 20 games and has hobbled off injured in about 25% of those.

He has/had vast potential, but the fact that he seems to be made out of glass has to count against him now. We've seen nothing special from him since that RWC07 final. He's more than welcome to try and make a come back, but I'm not holding my breath for anything incredible.
Many players go through periods of injury which makes it look like they will never compete as well again but they can turn it around. Look at Wilko years out the game with numerous injuries and yet now he is a key player in a very good Toulon side.
bwightman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by bwightman »

kingol22 wrote:Many players go through periods of injury which makes it look like they will never compete as well again but they can turn it around. Look at Wilko years out the game with numerous injuries and yet now he is a key player in a very good Toulon side.
Fingers crossed!
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

DickyP wrote:
kingol22 wrote:The signings of Cornwall and Bowden have no bearing on Tait. Tait is a back 3 player the other 2 are centers/10s.
Not really true - he hasn't often played at Full back (where he's far to small and not a consistent enough tackler) and regularly plays/ed at outside centre including the 2007 RWC Final! However, I do think you are right about where he probably should play!

If he's to play at full back it needs to be when others like Niall Morris and Scott Hamilton are on the field to give size balance to the back three.
Tait is bigger than both Niall Morris and Geordan Murphy. And is usually a very strong tackler. And he also played FB in the RWC final, moving there from the centre.
Crumblies
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Crumblies »

4071 wrote ... And he also played FB in the RWC final, moving there from the centre.
Ah! many thanks 4071 perhaps my memory isn't as bad as I admitted to earlier.
harry broggers
Tiger Cub

Post by harry broggers »

Good as these incoming prospects are, seems a bit hasty, to me at any r ate, getting excited too soon as the usual form seems to be "Sign them up with appropriate fanfare etc, then disappear into 'The Factory' as Dean Ryan puts it, for 12 months or so before drip feeding into 1st team squad" (Not a criticism, simply my observation) As for Matthew Tait, I personally have no doubts about his ability, but until he is available to practice his skills, it's all rather academic
Harry Broggers
I'm typing & thinking at the same time......does it show?
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

I've got very high hopes for Matt next season. I am not that concerned about the recent run of injuries as they have been a few different injuries rather than a single reoccuring injury. His previous long term injury was his shoulder I believe - the extended lay off with his groin injury etc may actually have allowed his shoulder the extended recovery time to not be a future problem.

I see two potential roles for Tait next season:

1: at outside centre. I still think Manu's best position might be 12 in a similar role to Nonu. In which case having an outside centre with real pace would add another dimension to our attack. I know people will point to his defense but it is no longer a weak point (people just harp on about his defense as it was a problem when he first came on the scene as a small 18 year old lad - people said the same about Allen)
2: My preferred option would be to introduce him at 15. He has a lovely kick on him and has the pace to hit the line. With Geordan offering some of his experience then Tait could be a wonderful addition here.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I fear that Tait's career is over.
Undoubted ability but can he get fit and then stay fit for long enough to play at the top level again?

I really hope I'm wrong because Tigers could do with a player like him particularly now Agulla has gone & Geordan is in the twilight of his playing career.
Tiger_Dad

Post by Tiger_Dad »

From what I understand his recovery is going well and he's almost running at full tilt. The twists and turns of full match contact will be the deciding factor though.

He's a real talent and it would be very disappointing if he's unable to fulfill his potential.
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

Tiger_Dad wrote:From what I understand his recovery is going well and he's almost running at full tilt. The twists and turns of full match contact will be the deciding factor though.

He's a real talent and it would be very disappointing if he's unable to fulfill his potential.

Spot on Tiger dad. :smt001
There is never any points for 2nd place...
Fritzvanheerden
Tiger Cub

Post by Fritzvanheerden »

Tait has always had potential.

he has not proven himself at any of his clubs or intenationaly.

A few little sprinkles every known again but how many times vs how
many games does he actually play.

There is no real room for sentiment with a player who has achieved
nothing at his new club blighted by injury maybe but its professional
rugby - tait seems to Rule himself out of games rather than Tigers
medical team. he lasted 5 minutes against Quins at home last season.

time to let him go.
Phil B
Super User
Super User

Post by Phil B »

Fritzvanheerden wrote:time to let him go.

That he will stay defines the Club: Professional, but treating its players with understanding and compassion in what is a very harsh environment. This is a turning point in his life: let him prove himself and the doubters wrong.
I could agree with you...but then we'd both be wrong.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

4071 wrote:
DickyP wrote: Not really true - he hasn't often played at Full back (where he's far to small and not a consistent enough tackler) and regularly plays/ed at outside centre including the 2007 RWC Final! However, I do think you are right about where he probably should play!

If he's to play at full back it needs to be when others like Niall Morris and Scott Hamilton are on the field to give size balance to the back three.
Tait is bigger than both Niall Morris and Geordan Murphy. And is usually a very strong tackler. And he also played FB in the RWC final, moving there from the centre.
After my first reading of your reply and flying off the handle about just how wrong you are I did what I should have done to start with and actually looked up their stats!

Matt Tait (at 6'0") IS smaller than Niall Morris (6'2") and Geordan (6'1"), but about 6 lbs heavier. (Obviously the weights may have changed since published by the club but hopefully not their heights!). I was therefore 'correct' but the difference didn't really support my argument about him being too small.

I, however, would take issue with your assertion about him usually being a strong tackler: I have seen no evidence of it in the many times I have watched live and on TV. He CAN tackle, but then so can some notorious speed bump/revolving door defenders like James Simpson-Daniels and Charlie Hodgson - it's just that they seldom do (and the two I named regularly miss critical ones).

However, Anthony Allen is the living proof that alleged poor defenders can improve beyond measure so let's hope, that if he gets the chance, that Matt Tait does too.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

Fritzvanheerden wrote:Tait has always had potential.

he has not proven himself at any of his clubs or intenationaly.

A few little sprinkles every known again but how many times vs how
many games does he actually play.

There is no real room for sentiment with a player who has achieved
nothing at his new club blighted by injury maybe but its professional
rugby - tait seems to Rule himself out of games rather than Tigers
medical team. he lasted 5 minutes against Quins at home last season.

time to let him go.
Fritz, come on pal, surely you would like to see Tait take this chance and prove you and other doubters wrong? I agree that sentimentality is not a reason to keep someone, however, we are Tigers and we look after our own. If not, be are basically saying we were wrong to sign him, and bare in mind, he was training with us for 6 months prior to getting signed. I there were under lying problems then this should have been spotted in that time.
There is never any points for 2nd place...
youngtiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by youngtiger »

Someone on here said that apparently he's running at nearly full tilt? I've got to say the idea that he may not be back at full tilt 8 months after his last match is pretty worrying (precious much?) to say the least.

He was a good player, don't forget he's won 38 caps, so if he comes back and gets into form I don't see why couldn't challenge for any of the centre, wing and fullback shirts. But unless he does come back into the kind of form he managed 4 years ago, he has no right over anyone else.

Also, considering what's been said on here, i'm wondering why it is that people appear to think Benjamin is so nailed-on for the starting jersey? although he seems a reasonable finisher and quite quick, I haven't seen anything particularly special, admittedly he was at worcs but still...