Tigers v Ulster - Friday 13th

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Jackie's Browners

Re: Tigers v Ulster - Friday 13th

Post by Jackie's Browners »

Ulster Team Up,
ULSTER (15-9) S Terblanche; A Trimble, D Cave, P Wallace, C Gilroy; I Humphreys, R Pienaar (1-8) T Court, R Best, J Afoa, J Muller (Captain), D Tuohy, S Ferris, C Henry, P Wannenburg

Replacements (16-23): N Brady, C Black, A Macklin, L Stevenson, W Faloon, P Marshall, I Whitten, A D'Arcy
Humphreys & Wannenburg Win Fitness Battles
12 January 2012, 11:27 By Lyndsey Irwin

Pedrie Wannenburg will be fit to start against Leicester
Ian Humphreys and Pedrie Wannenburg have won their fitness battles and have been named in Brian McLaughlin's starting XV to face the Leicester Tigers in the sold-out Heineken Cup clash at Ravenhill tomorrow, Friday 13th January, kick off 8pm...
Both players left the field earlier in last week's PRO12 match against Edinburgh at Murrayfield, Humphreys with a hamstring injury and Wannenburg with an ankle injury.
The starting XV shows just one change from that named ahead of last week's match against Edinburgh, with Paddy Wallace, who made a 20 minute cameo on his return from a hand injury named in the centre. He replaces Ian Whitten who moves to the bench.

"The whole team has performed well in recent weeks but we have worked on a few things in training this week to ensure that we are in peak condition and are raring to go." said Ulster Coach Brian McLaughlin

"The game at Welford Road in Round 2 was very tight and we were really disappointed to come away with nothing.

To beat Leicester, you have to beat them up front. They play a game based on their set-piece, and that aspect of the game will be crucial for us."

Elsewhere amongst the replacements Nigel Brady is preferred to Andi Kyriacou to cover the hooker berth and will make his 100th appearance for Ulster should he take the field during the game.

"Nigel has been a fantastic servant to Ulster Rugby over the years". said McLaughlin

"He is an integral member of the squad and has the respect of his team mates and all the staff at Ulster Rugby. He is an Ulsterman through and through and he takes great pride in his performance when he takes the field."

The Ulster players, management team and supporters got an extra boost ahead of the game this week with yesterday's news that scrum-halves Ruan Pienaar and Paul Marshall have each committed to the club for another two years

"It’s great to have Ruan and Paul with us for another couple of years" said the Ulster Coach.

"They have both shown this season that they are excellent players and it’s a great boost that they’ve decided to stay. Paul is unlucky not to be starting this week; it was a very tight call. Depending on what way the game is going, he is a great option to have on the bench because we know he can make a real impact if he comes on."

Ulster v Leicester is sold out and there will be no tickets available for sale on the gates. Gates open at 6pm and those with tickets are advised to come to the ground early given the capacity crowd.

Ticket zoning and scanning will be in operation at the ground this season. Supporters should check their tickets to ensure that they are entering through the correct gate. More details are available at http://www.ulsterrugby.com/news/9575.php.

Ulster Rugby would advise supporters coming to the game to avoid parking in the immediate vicinity of the Ravenhill Grounds as parking restrictions will be in place along Onslow Parade, Ravenhill Park and Mount Merrion Avenue. Supporters are encouraged to make use of the Park 'n' Ride facilities at Pirrie Park and along Montgomery Road which operate from 6pm.

ULSTER (15-9) S Terblanche; A Trimble, D Cave, P Wallace, C Gilroy; I Humphreys, R Pienaar (1-8) T Court, R Best, J Afoa, J Muller (Captain), D Tuohy, S Ferris, C Henry, P Wannenburg

Replacements (16-23): N Brady, C Black, A Macklin, L Stevenson, W Faloon, P Marshall, I Whitten, A D'Arcy
chinnjamie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chinnjamie »

Very strong Ulster line up, as expected.
watsonjm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by watsonjm »

Tigers team up

15 Geordan Murphy (c)
14 Horacio Agulla
13 Matt Smith
12 Anthony Allen
11 Alesana Tuilagi
10 Billy Twelvetrees
9 Ben Youngs
1 Marcos Ayerza
2 Rob Hawkins
3 Martin Castrogiovanni
4 Steve Mafi
5 Geoff Parling
6 Tom Croft
7 Julian Salvi
8 Thomas Waldrom

Surprised but glad to see Hawkins get the number shirt!
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Scrum looks a bit short of grunt in the back 5 for my tastes, same as last week, but we'll see how it pans out tomorrow.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Leicesterr

Post by Leicesterr »

Very Strong Ulster Team. Their forward pack is immense.
However we should front up well!

Prediction : Ulster by 8
Daveyboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Daveyboy »

It'll have to do.

Anything is possible (if not probable).

Come on Tigers! :smt001
Today is yesterday's tomorrow.
Ulster Bruno

Post by Ulster Bruno »

Welcome to Ulster for all Tigers fans coming over!

Get over early to the marquee for a pint and a bit of craic. Weather forecast is good, dry with not too much wind.

Should be a great game.
Hope you all have a great trip. (but we win of course!)

Stand Up for the Ulstermen!
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

Don't forget they also serve who sit and wait:
Replacements
16 George Chuter
17 Boris Stankovich
18 Dan Cole
19 Ed Slater
20 Ben Woods
21 Sam Harrison
22 Jeremy Staunton
23 Scott Hamilton

Very pleased that Hawkins is starting, he's done enough in my book for the slot. Can't help thinking that Slater would be a better bet than Mafi in the 2nd row with a bit more grunt. It's a hard one to call as I really do believe that we have one of the best squads - but it is Friday night under the lights, never our best time despite the result at Sale. I think Cockers needs to use the bench wisely and not bring players on with 5 minutes left to chase the game. There's a saying in sailing, 'If you're thinking about reefing you should be doing it, it won't get better on its own - but it can get a lot worse.'

If we turn up for the 80 minutes we should just shade it, but only just I feel. And its a big IF.
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
Jay C
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay C »

GS wrote: Very pleased that Hawkins is starting, he's done enough in my book for the slot. Can't help thinking that Slater would be a better bet than Mafi in the 2nd row with a bit more grunt.
Agree on both points GS. My XXIII would have been the same as announced, but with Mafi & Slater swapped as well .....
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

Very good team from what we have available. Hopefully the backs will of gelled last week and will be firing on all cylinders for this one.

We need a strong performance from the pack, if we dominate them up front we will win. Lineout should be strong, Scrum should be strong if not dominate but it will only get stronger when the subs come on.

I'm feeling optimistic so Tigers by 12.
PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by PM76 »

Pleased to see Hawkins get a start and having Castro and Marcos back is massive as we should be able to take them on at scrum time, and then bring Dan and Boris on to finish them off. Suprised to see Mafi ahead of Slater, I think we need Ed's grunt, in a Deaconesque style, but Mafi is a top player. Hopefully we can defend like the reverse fixture and our backline should be more fluent after last week. I think Tigers will win by a couple but it could well go the other way.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

The best we can do and a good enough team to win, especially with Poite as ref.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

Ulster start as favourites for sure. Between the three (Clermont/Ulster/Tigers) all games have thus far gone with the home team, some close, some not so close but all closely contested. This will be no different. The conditions will not be a factor, but poor conditions could have benefited either side.

An Ulster win will mean that bonus points decide the pool. Clermont will get at least 3 BP with a win over Aironi. Ulster already have 2 BP (Home and away against Aironi), so if we lose without a BP, we are out for sure. If we do get the BP, then we need to get a second against Aironi and Ulster get nothing in Clermont for us to finish second which should be enough for an away QF tie. If we win at ravenhill, we should go on to top the pool, unless Ulster beat Clermont away.

The bookies have it thus with Ulster at 8/11 and Tigers at 6/5
Always a Tiger
rdracup
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rdracup »

There will have to be some very odd results for 18 to be enough for a runners up spot.. take a look at the tables and fixtures. The truth is even a 4 point win (plus 5 agains Aironi) does not guarantee things .. though it does make it very likely. I expect CA to finish first on 21 points.

On Ulster team .. it is strong but I half expect some last minute changes ... (I bet some of those injuries might just be a bit worse than stated) though even then they will still be strong. Doesn't matter to us ... whatever 15 starts for them it is our game that counts. Murphy and Cockers are will not be taken in... even though Humphs spoke with Murphy this week.

Finally I think Cockers has the team right save for Mafi/Slater swap from bench to start.

Can't wait ... and the weather will mean good rugby.

bluntiger wrote:.

If we do get the BP, then we need to get a second against Aironi and Ulster get nothing in Clermont for us to finish second which should be enough for an away QF tie. If we win at ravenhill, we should go on to top the pool, unless Ulster beat Clermont away.

The bookies have it thus with Ulster at 8/11 and Tigers at 6/5
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I'm a fan of Mafi,he brings a mobility that we desperately need,he also seems to gel well with Parling.Slater will get his shot,we have a lot of very good locks at the moment.

COME ON YOU TIGERRRRRrrrssssssss

:smt027 :smt027 :smt027
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.