man of the match

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

man in the suite
Top Cat
Top Cat

man of the match

Post by man in the suite »

:smt013 can anybody tell me why twelvetrees did not get man of the match. scoring all our points 29 in all ,ttt had a good game but not the best on the day :smt017
PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: man of the match

Post by PM76 »

I thought Croft was MOTM, it could have been Croft, Billy, Hawkins or Parling IMO but Croft probably deserved it but a haul of 29 points would often get MOTM, Billy did do some bad passess and kicks though, I'm not criticising his performance but there are areas for improvement. Poff, the Wasps 7 also had a great game, IMO our failure to get bonus points in the last 2 games has been partly due to the opposition 7s playing out of their skin.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

PM76 wrote:I thought Croft was MOTM, it could have been Croft, Billy, Hawkins or Parling IMO but Croft probably deserved it but a haul of 29 points would often get MOTM, Billy did do some bad passess and kicks though, I'm not criticising his performance but there are areas for improvement. Poff, the Wasps 7 also had a great game, IMO our failure to get bonus points in the last 2 games has been partly due to the opposition 7s playing out of their skin.
Stuart Barnes did indeed give MOTM to Tom Croft, with 'special' mentions for Billy Twelvetrees and Jonathan Poff.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

WhitecapTiger wrote:
PM76 wrote:I thought Croft was MOTM, it could have been Croft, Billy, Hawkins or Parling IMO but Croft probably deserved it but a haul of 29 points would often get MOTM, Billy did do some bad passess and kicks though, I'm not criticising his performance but there are areas for improvement. Poff, the Wasps 7 also had a great game, IMO our failure to get bonus points in the last 2 games has been partly due to the opposition 7s playing out of their skin.
Stuart Barnes did indeed give MOTM to Tom Croft, with 'special' mentions for Billy Twelvetrees and Jonathan Poff.
SAYS IT ALL................WHAT DOES THAT SBARNES KNOW ANYWAY!!
It was defo Billy for me or Geoff on his return. Croft....NO NO NO :smt018
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!
Daveyboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Daveyboy »

Poff was in with a shout. His performance was the difference between Wasps being beaten and being thrashed.

MOTM is a very subjective award but I would have given it to Billy.
Today is yesterday's tomorrow.
SpanishTiger

Post by SpanishTiger »

Should be interesting to see a list of all our MOTM this season. I dunno if anyone is keeping track, but Im pretty sure Waldrom would top that list with a minimum of 3.

I sometimes watch the games on the argentinian ESPN, and the broadcasters love Thomas. They often say how the Tigers nowadays can play good, regular or bad, but Thomas always plays excellent no matter what. They say there´s no game where you can point at Waldrom and say "he´s having a really poor game". I do agree with that. Salvi is on his way to reach the same levels of excellence.
Norfolk & Goode
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Norfolk & Goode »

Easily could of been Parling, TTTE, Salvi, Croft or Billy, a close call!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Despite good performances from others 12T nailed 100% and scored two tries. I would be interested to see the level of nitpicking applied to others that is routinely applied to 12T. TTTE for me was less effective than usual as Wasps targeted his usual ploys.
I was also amused to see on replay (so match seen at WR and on the TV replay) that a pass attributed to 12T by one forum user was in fact executed by Harrison, and the other one mentioned was butchered by Croft and two others who were not running onto a flat pass with their hands forward but doing the old 'excuse me you first' routine.
I don't think 12T is the Messiah, but I do wish a superb display was given credit. Oh and the kickoffs were tactics from the dugout as the 10m steeple shot was practised by 12T before the game with PB but not used.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

Why is it so crucial who is named Man of the Match? I thought it was a team game after all. That said I've no problems with Crofty getting the award (admittedly I'm biased being an ex-blindside). :smt002
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
Ze Stade Fan
Super User
Super User

Post by Ze Stade Fan »

jgriffin wrote:Despite good performances from others 12T nailed 100% and scored two tries. I would be interested to see the level of nitpicking applied to others that is routinely applied to 12T. TTTE for me was less effective than usual as Wasps targeted his usual ploys.
I was also amused to see on replay (so match seen at WR and on the TV replay) that a pass attributed to 12T by one forum user was in fact executed by Harrison, and the other one mentioned was butchered by Croft and two others who were not running onto a flat pass with their hands forward but doing the old 'excuse me you first' routine.
I don't think 12T is the Messiah, but I do wish a superb display was given credit. Oh and the kickoffs were tactics from the dugout as the 10m steeple shot was practised by 12T before the game with PB but not used.
Funny to see you as a new member... Have you lost all privileges linked to your seniority? Hope the club can repair the damage... :smt009
Nemo auditur propriam turpitudinem allegans
refsguidedog2

Post by refsguidedog2 »

If Billy had scored 36 points.....
Red Boots

Post by Red Boots »

Billy did score a lot of points but he had too. He was standing so deep at 10 that the rest of the back line had to make 30 metres before they even got to the gain line. This was a practical approach for a novice fly-half but with experience I hope he stands flatter and gives the rest of the backs a chance to share the glory.
adamv6
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by adamv6 »

Easily could of been Parling, TTTE, Salvi, Croft or Billy, a close call!
I would agree Norfolk, apart from TTTE, who had a day to forget (IMHO). His carrying wasn't great, constantly running into a wall and stopping instantly.

Parling should have got MotM, and I wouldn't be surprised if that performance didn't play him into an England shirt.

Croft was superb, in the lineout, the breakdown and in the open field. I sat and watched the game late at night (already knowing the score) and afterwards wondered if, based on that performance, there is a better line-out flanker in the world right now.
JGriffin - "The outright winner was the ref who blew himself inside out."
http://incoherenttwaddle.blogspot.com/
hooking_king

Post by hooking_king »

Sky Sports website are crediting Billy with MOTM http://www.skysports.com/video/inline/0 ... 15,00.html

Maybe Sky have finally decided to ignore the moron Barnes?!
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Barnes awarded MOTM to Croft, but it was a close call. I agree it could have been 36 - or Parling, Salvi, TTTE, or Poff, which might have been an inspired choice. Players on the losing side are often overlooked for this award, but there are certainly occasions such as this, when the prize could or should have been awarded to a losing player.
Valhalla I am coming!