Best cheap christmas presents?

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

cornish tigress
Super User
Super User

Re: Best cheap christmas presents?

Post by cornish tigress »

Do you mean the box that the box came in? Now I'm afraid that is just weird. :smt009

You'd have loved my grandfather though who thought it was funny to put an onion in a little box and put that box in loads of progressively bigger boxes so it looked like a great present.
http://www.matthampson.co.uk
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

After I unwisely took up golf someone, for Christmas, gave me a shaped bit of metal that looked like a fat man with thin legs.

I said "ta very much", dropped it into my golf bag and wondered what the heck it was for.

Some months later I arrived at a posh golf course where an extremely snooty man, clearly recognising me as the sort of oik that would be bludgeoning balls out of all sorts of unlikely places on his precious course, announced that no one was allowed on the course without a "divot tool".

My bro-in-law said, "You've got one, Levo."

Hence I produced this shapely piece of metal, which turned out to be the mutt's nuts of all divot tools, made by the finest divot tool maker in all Christendom. The snooty man was well taken aback, realising that I possessed this piece of sporting excellence and wafted me through.

I've still never actually used the damned thing and wouldn't know how to. But it got me onto a course that, otherwise, I had no real right to play on.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
cornish tigress
Super User
Super User

I once got a larger shaped piece of metal for Christmas, it was a strip of wrought iron bent round in a circle, and then rising up to a hook on the top. It looked like a bizarre hat where perhaps you could attach a torch for dark days? I smiled gratefully and took it home, clueless. Found out it is for hanging your bananas from! We all need one of those!
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

:smt005 :smt005 :smt005

Reminds me of Sean Lock's story about getting a "Grow Your Own Loofah" set from his sister at Christmas.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

?Levo?
Valhalla I am coming!
cornish tigress
Super User
Super User

Not "Are We Not Men, We Are Levo" then?
Littletigress

Post by Littletigress »

I've bought my son a musical bottle opener from eBay. Couldn't get a Tigers one so it is an England football one (sorry!) that plays the theme from the 'Great Escape' every time you open a bottle of beer with it. If he doesn't like it (not very likely) I'll keep it! :smt023

Bird feeders are very good presents, I agree. They are relatively inexpensive and provide hours of pleasure watching the birds feed.
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

cornish tigress wrote:Not "Are We Not Men, We Are Levo" then?
Yes but as I am from the East Mids, it is pronounced Levvo.

And I do remember now that a Christmas present I received when I was aged 10 was a single. Hole In The Ground by Bernard Cribbens. My first ever record.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

That record - big and sort of round, it was?
Valhalla I am coming!
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

It's not there now.
The ground's all flat.
And beneath it is the bloke in the bowler hat.

And that's that.
loopylass

Post by loopylass »

[quote="cornish tigress"]Do you mean the box that the box came in? Now I'm afraid that is just weird. :smt009

I meant the box a probably much better present came in but yeah i am weird like that! I think the best presents are board games for the family. Nowadays if it can't be plugged in or doesn't need batteries most kids aren't interested.
Purebob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Purebob »

Got the lads at the Christmas supporters evening to sign a menu with personal comments encouraging my 12 YO son in his own rugby playing:

"Dan's the man ! - Best wishes, Toby Flood" " Keep your tackle up! - Moodos" etc etc.

Had it framed for a tenner. My boy will go ape when he gets that ! I suspect no Wii could match it ! :)
Gate
Super User
Super User

Post by Gate »

Gate Junior I has just finished wrapping for his Welsh rugby fan friend a "retro" Wales rugby shirt which he got the Welsh international contingent of the Sprays to sign at WR, and also Mefin Davies. That plus a sugar mouse from Ye Olde Sweet Shoppe round the back of the market will go down a treat. Whole package 8 quid. :smt023