Lions to fine Northampton......

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

g
Super User
Super User

Lions to fine Northampton......

Post by g »

£42,500 for refusing to allow Euan Murray to join up with the Lions get together.( each club is paid £42,500 per player who represents the Lions).

It was noted that Leicester and Leinster lions players were allowed to join up with the party at Wednesdays get together.

Report in the Daily Mirror.

I hope Croft and Ellis didn't miss out on any Tigers game plans for Saturday.
ashbash

Re: Lions to fine Northampton......

Post by ashbash »

I'm sorry but i think that is bang out of order. I know they were all informed at the end of last year yatter yatter but these guys are preparing for the biggest game of their season so far!! They shouldn't have any distractions ahead of Friday/Saturday and shouldn't be thinking of anything past this next game. Ridiculous! :smt013 :smt013 :smt013
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

Simple trade off.

Loss of £40k against possible alternative benefits.

Do not see problem.
The opinion expressed above is that of the author and does not imply any acceptance of it by Leicester Football Club PLC or their agents who in no way share responsibility with the author for its publication.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
g
Super User
Super User

Post by g »

ashbash

Apparently these clubs knew earlier in the season that if any of their players were called up to the Lions squad then they had to make their players available.

I think what has riled the Lions bosses is that Saints didn't let anybody know until Wednesday, which was when the squad were due to meet and therefore that is why they were fining Saints.

The Lions hierarchy are claiming all clubs were made aware a while ago that if their players were in the squad then they would be expectd to release players.
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

g wrote:ashbash

Apparently these clubs knew earlier in the season that if any of their players were called up to the Lions squad then they had to make their players available.

I think what has riled the Lions bosses is that Saints didn't let anybody know until Wednesday, which was when the squad were due to meet and therefore that is why they were fining Saints.

The Lions hierarchy are claiming all clubs were made aware a while ago that if their players were in the squad then they would be expectd to release players.
Just so g. But their "fine" is merely withholding part of the fee they would have otherwise paid.
The opinion expressed above is that of the author and does not imply any acceptance of it by Leicester Football Club PLC or their agents who in no way share responsibility with the author for its publication.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
ashbash

Post by ashbash »

I know they have their reasons and i know they were made a ware a while ago, think it was before christmas. Still having said that though i can't see the benefit to a player that is preparing for a European Final to meet up with the rest of the squad for a day, pointless.

These guys should be left alone or at least have the option of attending or not attending, they shouldn't be forced!
Pete
Super User
Super User

Post by Pete »

Could it possibly be that the Lions management team might prefer Northampton to lose tomorrow night?
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

ashbash wrote:

I know they have their reasons and i know they were made a ware a while ago, think it was before christmas. Still having said that though i can't see the benefit to a player that is preparing for a European Final to meet up with the rest of the squad for a day, pointless.

These guys should be left alone or at least have the option of attending or not attending, they shouldn't be forced!
They were not forced. Saints decided not to accept £40K and keep him back. Straightforward decision.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
ashbash

Post by ashbash »

Bill W wrote:
They were not forced. Saints decided not to accept £40K and keep him back. Straightforward decision.
Surely that is forcing them?? Turn up or face the consequences. Not all clubs would want to pay the fine or be able to afford the fine and why should they be punished? What im saying is that they should be free to go or not to go given that they have far more important matters ahead of them.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Thought it was a Monday meeting that was strictly non training and was all about confirming itinaries and meeting the rest of the team. The teams were assured the players would be back at home before the end of the day and won't be doing any training. Can't imagine Tigers would have been keen to release Ellis otherwise (Croft not having been called up at this point).
g
Super User
Super User

Post by g »

Also it states that Leicester and Leinster players attended. As Leinster had far more representation than either Tigers or Saints it seems strange that they sent their players along with no complaints. And a couple of days before a major cup final.

Saints lose only 1 player before a cup final. Leicester and Leinster lose more, these 2 clubs didn't seem to have a problem with it.

Would Saints losing 1 player for a day really have made that much difference?

I mean it's not as if it were 6 or 7 players missing.
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

ashbash wrote:
Bill W wrote:
Surely that is forcing them?? Turn up or face the consequences. Not all clubs would want to pay the fine or be able to afford the fine and why should they be punished? What im saying is that they should be free to go or not to go given that they have far more important matters ahead of them.
Not receiving payment is hardly a fine.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
ashbash

Post by ashbash »

Bill W wrote:
ashbash wrote:
Bill W wrote:
Not receiving payment is hardly a fine.
Its the same as receiving it and taking it away again though isn't it. Maybe i should have said financial penalty, although that is the same thing effectively.
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

Negative.

We will pay you £40K if your man turns up.

You choose to keep your man back. Fair enough - no £40K

Do not see problem.

Straight forward trade off on increasing likelihood of qualifying for Europe against £40K in hand.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
LeinsterCormac
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by LeinsterCormac »

g wrote:Also it states that Leicester and Leinster players attended. As Leinster had far more representation than either Tigers or Saints it seems strange that they sent their players along with no complaints. And a couple of days before a major cup final.

Saints lose only 1 player before a cup final. Leicester and Leinster lose more, these 2 clubs didn't seem to have a problem with it.

Would Saints losing 1 player for a day really have made that much difference?

I mean it's not as if it were 6 or 7 players missing.
As mentioned previously the meeting was on Monday, not Wednesday, and would have infringed far more on Leinster, not only because of the larger representation, but also because they'd have much further to travel.