Reasons we didnt win today

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jools43
Tiger Cub

Post by jools43 »

Indiscipline definitely cost us, but how much of that was the refs fault? He never took control of the game and consequently things got out of hand on numerous occasions. Ellis should have been sin-binned as should at least one of their players - particularly for the kicking incident.

We struggled at the breakdown though, they just seemed to want it more than we did at times and we were found holding on or coming in off the feet. I still feel that no ref's have managed to stay consistent regarding staying on your feet at the ruck.
Tigers are beautiful but lethal creatures, Wasps are just pointless and annoying
boondock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by boondock »

i watched this match on tv, as i couldnt fit in a sunday afternoon jaunt to bristol ( another bonus point win for saints, thanks for asking!)

perpignan won because they were better on the day. lots of the things mentioned above contributed but it seemed a fair result to me.

on the ellis thing, not a spear tackle but definitely dangerous play - ellis manouevred carter into a position where carter was pointed headfirst at the ground and let go with a stupid 'who sir? me sir?' gesture. but no downward pressure = no spear tackle in my book.

some of tigers tackling and defence was very weak. corry was guilty of this more than once. but actually perpignan were also guilty of this for hamiltons try.

given carter should probably have kicked at least one of those he missed (just before half time, iirc) i would have thought tigers should be happy enough with 6 points in the last fortnight.
"I don't recall Boondock posting inflammatory comments on here. I can see nothing wrong with him, except for him being a Saint..." westy154 18/03/08
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

quincy - Whether the tackle by Ellis was technically a spear tackle is irrelevant in my view as in 2005 the IRB ruled that:

" the act of lifting an opponent off his feet in a tackle AND dropping or 'spearing' that player so that his head and/or upper body comes into contact with the ground first, is a dangerous tackle."

Note the use of the word or as in 'spearing or dropping' - the two are treated equally.
Budster
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Budster »

We have an inability to build and sustain pressure.

Instead of the opposition cracking under sustained pressure we constantly gift them opportunities to relieve the pressure by either 3 points or clearing out their own half.
I was screaming at Murphy to chip & run for that should have been last try under the posts, a great like Robinson would have stepped him & put him on his butt. A small passage of play I know but matches ( & seasons) hinge on such things.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Re: Reasons we didnt win today

Post by westwinds31 »

As Will Greenwood said during the replay "Harry, what ARE you doing ?".
Tigerbob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Reasons we didnt win today

Post by Tigerbob »

As WhitecapTiger said earlier - Kicking aimlessly/ineffectively cost us.

I know a lot has been said about the ELVs forcing teams to kick first and ask questions later, BUT, I still think Tigers are kicking away quality possession at times.

Any time we were more than 10 metres away from the half-way line either Toby or Geordan seemed to kick it away, in the clear hope that the opposition full-back would fluff it (which 98% of the time he didn't).

This ploy (is it Heineke's) is not working the majority of the time, and we need to return to running the ball back at the opposition.

The high and hopeful kick, IMHO should be reserved for wet and windy night games, where the opposition is struggling to catch the ball 'cos it's as slippery as a bar of soap.

In ANY other conditions, the kick should only be employed if it can gain considerable yardage or put the opposition on the back-foot.