Crane to be captain for Tigers?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Crane to be captain for Tigers?

Post by Ian Cant »

Having always been a fan of Cranes right from his Leeds days I'd like the new coach to make him captain for Tigers.Great performances for us then the Saxons make him an ideal candidate for captain. He is the player who is in the Johnno mould. Make sure his future is secure here and let the new coaches get everyone playing heads up rugby with Craney as our leader.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

He's not quite ready for it yet I don't think. For one thing I don't think he is guaranteed a start each week with the competition we have in the back row.
tigerfeet13
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by tigerfeet13 »

Possibly one day in the not too distant future. But for now give him a little more time to develope.

Captain for next year?

How about Louis Deacon or Ben Kay? Or perhaps Mauger in the backs.

I would have added George Chuter to the list but he has seemed to have dropped down the pecking order at hooker and I think the first job of the captain is to be a guaranteed selection! (And to be avialable to Tigers!)
tolly

Post by tolly »

I have a feeling we will see a repetition of, as I can remember, a Charvis-type Wales captaincy. I think Corry will be Club Captain but might not be picked all the time. This could give others the chance to prove their captaincy skills throughout the year with little detriment to the team.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Having watched the Saxons games I don't have any doubt he will be the first choice No8 next season. I think he has captained England at all levels up to and including Saxons, including several age group grand slams.
They should think very seriously about making him captain, he certainly leads from the front and appears to be very good at communicating his thoughts to his team mates. Perhaps it is time to lay down a marker to everyone, that now is the time to look to the future not dwell on past glories.
hughes

Post by hughes »

:smt023 His time is NOW! :smt023
Do not go where the path may lead,go instead where there is no path and leave a trail for others to follow!
billy_hyslop

Post by billy_hyslop »

i think we should ease him into captaincy, give him a few games at captain, if the likes of corry and kay are missing. hes one of the few players who are solid enough in a tigers shirt to make a proper claim for it!
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Being captain isn't all about leading from the front, although that is part of it. Johnno also had a real understanding of the requirements of the team as a whole, not just the forwards - difficult to emulate 'though!

Don't forget that the captain also has to deal with the press, and more in the Cozza style than the Vickery approach (send out someone else!)

Crane might be the man in 2 or 3 seasons, but could have competition now from Kay, Deacon, Flood, Mauger, Geordan, and who knows who else! Craig Newby has experience in the job.....
Valhalla I am coming!
adamv6
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by adamv6 »

Craig Newby has experience in the job.....
And he gives a fantastic post match interview :smt023
JGriffin - "The outright winner was the ref who blew himself inside out."
http://incoherenttwaddle.blogspot.com/
tigerfeet13
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by tigerfeet13 »

Newby too much of a New Boy to be captain.

In Johnno we had a captain the rest of the team would go out and sweat blood for.
Johnno is also a bit of an anorak when it came to rugby (and NFL for that matter) and really understood the game and how some small changes in a game can make a big difference.

Who next?

Louis Deacon or Ben Kay would be my picks.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Corry must not be captain unless the club captain system where it is understood he does not play every week - He must not block the way for the young players to play

Crane was a revelation playing for Saxons - not only playing up the middle making hard yards as we know he can but wide and offloading - we must use him like this in conjunction with Croft and Moody or Newby or Woods - we have very exciting optiosns at back row - but never again do I want to see a crane corry combination in a big match unless we are desparate.

Captaincy could go to Crane or Newby for me but someone new young and dynamic to cahnge the emphasis and the club needs to be prepared noty to play the captain is the situation is not right.

No to Chuter and Kay (can't gauaranteee a position for much of the time) - possible Louis Deacon - but Crane might just be the the brave call - and I want to see bold moves for the management the coach and the players.