Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Capricorn
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Trying Ellis at centre

Post by Capricorn »

Why not try this as an experiment?
Harry is strong, gutsy, can catch, pass and has speed. He can also break lines! Bemand makes such a difference at scrum-half, so why not include both on the pitch?
One thing that Harry does have is determination and bravery, which many current players seem to lack.Worth a try ?
:wink: :wink:
WilfMan
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by WilfMan »

i see what you mean. but am not sure, only if we are winning by along way

isn't he a bit small
-
"Forwards decide who win the game, Backs decide by how much"
-
bigstef
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by bigstef »

No although Scott has done well i'd rather have Harry on the pitch at scrum -half
Mat
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mat »

I have said before on here to try Harry in a diffent position. i think he could make a great flanker.
Outlander
Silver Member
Silver Member

This idea intrigues me!

Post by Outlander »

If a guy lacks the top-drawer quick-passing skills of a top scrum half--very specialized skills--that doesn't mean he can't contribute a lot at another position.

What about fly half? I think it's pretty clear that Goode is not the most creative fly half on earth. Couldn't a guy who was an excellent runner and who had distributed the ball as scrum half thrive there?

Is it a question of kicking ability? (You can tell I am still a bit foggy about what one looks for in a given position.)

I dunno. Ellis is a highly talented guy ... and Bemand seems a notch up as a distributor from S H. It sure would be good to make use of them together. I just have the feeling that a creative guy linking through to the other backs would lift Leicester a major step up over the pedestrian play that Goode provides at fly.
Just a Yankee looker-on from afar.
MikeWW
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by MikeWW »

I would have thought that more competition for a place ensures that you try to improve the areas of your game that are compared unfavourably with your rival, thus making you a better player. Constant "what if we try you at ______ " would probably be counter productive at this level IMHO.
anything_but_ordinary
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by anything_but_ordinary »

this trying players at diff positions is ideal at younger age groups as my bro has just moved from winger to scrum half, but when you are playing a specific position professionally it is a lot harder to shape shift into a another position
ITS ME EMILY!
JUS FANCIED A CHANGE!!!
stevetelcom2000
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by stevetelcom2000 »

Would Harry want to switch position? He will be still hopeful of some International Rugby at SH still, despite the fact that he has some decent competition there now. A positional move would put him out of the picture all together.
King Kong
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by King Kong »

Harry's main asset is his pace from the back of breakdowns to exploit gaps. If you stick him in the centres he will just get munched, he is not big enough to look after himself. The passing can be worked on with weighted rugby balls in training, and keep him away from the England coaches.
alex_111
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by alex_111 »

Im pretty sure that Ellis used to play flanker
Mat
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mat »

John Wells said taht if he ever needed any of the backs to play in the forwards it would be Harry. He could be a great backrow forward with pace, and his tackling the new Lewis Moody
Mat
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mat »

AS for being young he is young.

Did not do Oz to much halm either all those positions or Sheridan
Moody_boy06
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Moody_boy06 »

I noticed Bemand playing well on Saturday, and thought it would be nice to let him have a bit more of a run out each game-- but don't we have enough centres already???
Tuilagi- Pizza Advert legend!